The official I'm done thread

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Where is this rule that says you have to stick with your team no matter what?

There is no rule - it's called being a bandwagon fan... and you have every right to do that. Maybe we'll see you back some day, maybe not. Either way, best of luck to you and no hard feelings.

The beauty of college sports is most of us graduated from Mason. We can't change that - I can't change that. I'm locked in for life, for better or worse. It's not like pro teams where it's easy to flip flop - we alumni are of our school. Mason is my school and will alway be. We can be 0-30 and I'm still rooting for Mason.

If Mason isn't your school and your just coming out to watch some basketball, there not much I can say at this point - you are probably better off watching a better product (which is sad, but true). I can't blame you. But if you are a student/alumnus, I don't think it's as easy to jump off the bandwagon. In my mind, that makes you a Patriot for life.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
My first year out of school I gave $50 because that's what was required to sit where I wanted to in the Patriot Center. I'm sure they'd gladly take less than that. And it's tax-deductible!

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What is your point?
I live out of the area.
I'm allowed to criticize Patriotfan49 if I want to. He's not a sacred cow.
You either stick with the team through the wins and losses or you don't.
simple as that.
I frankly think the guy is F-I-C-K-L-E and a fickle fanbase really doesn't help our long term program aspirations.

You are an idiot. To com on the boards and launch personal attacks on someone who has been a supporter f Mason Hoops forever is indicative of your complete ape-like mentality.

People who donate and attend games deserve to be heard, deserve to at least have their opinion taken into consideration.

What you repeatedly don't get is this:

I dont have an issue with losing, and enduring long seasons.....I went through that with the 49ers for almost a decade and never bailed. But when you see a light at the end of the tunnel and something slowly being built it makes it worth it to stick around and easier to stomach the product in the mean time.

Its not the losing itself, it is the trajectory this program is going. We could all have patience with a lsoing sqaud if we saw that all of our efforts were sowing the seeds for a future that looks even somewhat competitive.

Hewit has done NOTHING to give anyone on here an ounce of hope that he knows what he is doing. TOC has done NOTHING to give us hope. This is not a normal "oh we're just avin a bad year" situation. This is a texbook mismanagment of an entire program.

Patriotfan49

Starter
There is no rule - it's called being a bandwagon fan... and you have every right to do that. Maybe we'll see you back some day, maybe not. Either way, best of luck to you and no hard feelings.

The beauty of college sports is most of us graduated from Mason. We can't change that - I can't change that. I'm locked in for life, for better or worse. It's not like pro teams where it's easy to flip flop - we alumni are of our school. Mason is my school and will alway be. We can be 0-30 and I'm still rooting for Mason.

If Mason isn't your school and your just coming out to watch some basketball, there not much I can say at this point - you are probably better off watching a better product (which is sad, but true). I can't blame you. But if you are a student/alumnus, I don't think it's as easy to jump off the bandwagon. In my mind, that makes you a Patriot for life.

Your superfan and judging other peoples level of fandom bit is a tired bit by now.....

I graduated from Mason, Ive financially supported them since I graduated, I go to most every home game, went to every CAA tourney and I root for them to win when they suit up. If I dont renew my tickets next year because of my frustrations and displeasure with the AD and Hewitt.....and continue to donate elsewhere to the school.....if that makes me "bandwagon" or "fickle" or "fairweather" then I guess say what you want.

Patriotfan49

Starter
You are an idiot. To com on the boards and launch personal attacks on someone who has been a supporter f Mason Hoops forever is indicative of your complete ape-like mentality.

People who donate and attend games deserve to be heard, deserve to at least have their opinion taken into consideration.

Its not the losing itself, it is the trajectory this program is going. We could all have patience with a lsoing sqaud if we saw that all of our efforts were sowing the seeds for a future that looks even somewhat competitive.

Hewit has done NOTHING to give anyone on here an ounce of hope that he knows what he is doing. TOC has done NOTHING to give us hope. This is not a normal "oh we're just avin a bad year" situation. This is a texbook mismanagment of an entire program.

Exactly. Its not about losing, Id gladly sit here and take the losing if I knew the light was getting closer.

Even then with the losing, I could see that Nolan and Singletary were assembling something and eventually it would pay off. Same here, if I saw a young coach working to build something and we have something, but it takes time.....Im all for it.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
"forever"? LOL.

He graduated the same year I did.

We've been following the team for about the same length of time.

If someone just supports a team when they win that makes that person FICKLE or in the words of Thomas Paine a "sunshine Patriot".

The truth hurts folks.

As for Hewitt:

Bring him back for 2014-2015 but with an ultimatum. Make the NIT or the NCAA. We will have to take a hard look at different options if we do not make either tournament in 2015.

Patriotfan49

Starter
LOL.....

Completely over your head. Like everything usually.....Did you even read and grasp the point of what Chank was saying, or is your obsession with trying to get a zing in getting in the way again?

I swear, these Raider fans want to be their big brother across the bay so bad...they just want to be loved too. But desperation is a stinky cologne.

PDGL Hoops

Starter
I have been a season ticket holder for 15 years and attended all but a hand full of games the four years before that while in school. Win, lose, or draw I will not give up on this team. I may close my eyes and go to my happy place as opposed to watching the carnage....but I will not turn my back and only show support when times are good. Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out -

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I love it - I'm judging when I say that you can stop rooting for Mason and that I don't blame you!

Seems to me someone is very sensitive.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I love it - I'm judging when I say that you can stop rooting for Mason and that I don't blame you!

Seems to me someone is very sensitive.

You just seem to come off very judgy when you call random strangers bandwagon and fairweather fans continually on a message board....when you have no idea what they do.

Personally I dont care what you think, or call me or am sensitive about it. Just is weak when people try and pull that card that they are better fans then the next guy.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
You are choosing to watch the games on TV right?

If we are down 20 you will probably flip the channel to CNN or some other channel because your new excuse will be you don't watch when we are losing...

Patriotfan49

Starter
You are choosing to watch the games on TV right?

If we are down 20 you will probably flip the channel to CNN or some other channel because your new excuse will be you don't watch when we are losing...

Unless they have TV capability on our LED boards in the PC, I cant change the channel...so no you again are not correct. Unfortunately for you, I was in my seat last night to personally enjoy the performance.

Keep trying though, you are making a convincing argument for player hater of the year lol.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good debate going here. Personally, I'm on the fence. I see the arguments for both sides pretty clearly.

Stay + Support:
- Pulling your donations or relinquishing your season tickets will only hurt a program that needs more funding and support to be competitive in a new, better league.
- Always support your team through thick and thin, for better or worse, just like a marriage or whatever. The people who subscribe to this theory are the people you want to be with in a foxhole. When the going gets tough, they double down. That's admirable.

Stop attending and donating:
- Last night was one of the most joyless experiences I can remember at the Patriot Center. Lifeless team, overmatched coach, no end in sight. Why would you continue attending games out of some obscure sense of obligation when the games aren't any fun?
- Getting to the Patriot Center is a complete pain in the a** if you don't live in Fairfax. I live in Arlington and work in Tyson's. After work I have to sit through an hour or more of the most miserable traffic in the world (123 through Vienna) to sit through two hours of terrible basketball. I don't get home until 10pm and can't get shit else done on game nights. We're close to the point where it's not worth it for me to attend.
- Vote with your wallet. The only way to affect change is to hit TOC where it hurts - the wallet (or probably his gunt, but we're not being literal).

I don't find the "vote with your wallet" argument too convincing. The administration is clearly losing money off of decreased ticket sales, and I don't want to contribute to the death of a program by pulling my already meager contribution. I'll probably find a middle ground where I re-up my season tickets, continue my donations and wear a paper bag on my head for the rest of the season.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
You just seem to come off very judgy when you call random strangers bandwagon and fairweather fans continually on a message board....when you have no idea what they do.

Personally I dont care what you think, or call me or am sensitive about it. Just is weak when people try and pull that card that they are better fans then the next guy.

Tell me this, what is the definition of a bandwagon fan?

Patriotfan49

Starter
Tell me this, what is the definition of a bandwagon fan?

My cousin with his new found liking of the niners since 2012. But apparently it was "all his life" lol. Irritates the crap out of me......projects like its legit so hard....but everybody knows the truth.

I wouldnt consider anybody who financially contributes to a program, goes to most if not all the home games, travels to tournaments a bandwagon fan. To me a bandwagon fan claims fanhood, but its just superficial or for the "coolness" of it.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
You did admit that you will not be going to games in person next year.

Did you not?

So my argument still applies.

If you are watching a game during the 2014-2015 season and we are losing. I truly believe you will flip the channel and your new excuse will be you don't watch us on TV when we are losing.

Unless they have TV capability on our LED boards in the PC, I cant change the channel...so no you again are not correct. Unfortunately for you, I was in my seat last night to personally enjoy the performance.

Keep trying though, you are making a convincing argument for player hater of the year lol.