The official go-to-guy

KAOriginal

All-American
Luke made immediate contributions as a reserve and gradually earned more playing time.

No doubt....I remember our illustrious Mason radio guy telling me that with all the hype on the other three, Luke was going to be the eye opener for that class.

But as I was trying to say after reading some of the excitement on here....there's been very few true freshman who came an just exploded on the scene....

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But as I was trying to say after reading some of the excitement on here....there's been very few true freshman who came an just exploded on the scene....

KA, I agree that no freshman is going to explode on the scene. I'm as excited as the next guy about some of the players coming in, but history shows that even averaging 7 or 8 points a game would put them in rare company. Jenkins did it this season, so I suppose that mark is attainable if they earn a lot of minutes. I just want them to come in with a defensive mindset and to score when they can. Everything else in gravy.

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
KA, I agree that no freshman is going to explode on the scene. I'm as excited as the next guy about some of the players coming in, but history shows that even averaging 7 or 8 points a game would put them in rare company. Jenkins did it this season, so I suppose that mark is attainable if they earn a lot of minutes. I just want them to come in with a defensive mindset and to score when they can. Everything else in gravy.

I am with you...we need something from these kids. I was just tempering the exuberance of some already penciling the rookies for alot of production. I imagine one night good, one night bad....

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

We don't know that either, Tom. Who knows. Maybe Jackson, who know one has talked about, comes in and averages 10-12 ppg. We just don't know at this point.

What we do know is there are a lot of minutes opening up for someone to take

KAOriginal

All-American
We don't know that either, Tom. Who knows. Maybe Jackson, who know one has talked about, comes in and averages 10-12 ppg. We just don't know at this point.

What we do know is there are a lot of minutes opening up for someone to take

Minutes available is the BIGGEST factor here.

And we also know another factor is our head coach.

God help these kids if they get in the dog house since they don't have an uncle on staff.....

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Minutes available is the BIGGEST factor here.

And we also know another factor is our head coach.

God help these kids if they get in the dog house since they don't have an uncle on staff.....
A one year dog house stay isn't the end of the world for a freshman.

DeepValue

Starter
Guys, we just graduated two guards who were among the best Mason players in *history*. We have no one to replace them. And, we are going to be better next year? Hahaha hahaha. I sure hope Carmelo Anthony comes walking through that door.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just ask Gray: Hewitt's doghouse is like the Hotel California -- you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Well, I am assuming no one is going to care about being in Hewitt's dog house after next year.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Apples and oranges, unfortunately, KA. There's no question Gray has gotten short-changed after both he and Copes got suspended, but Gray also got into a minutes logjam behind Allen, Sherrod and a Holloway. Copes, meanwhile, had to play out of necessity -- especially after Arledge left -- due to minimal competition at the 5.

If cream does indeed rise to the top and Gray returns, there are certainly ample minutes to be had next season. If there are petty reason why Hewitt's not playing VG, he needs to get over it.

Last edited:

Harry

Starter
A few have said that Mayimba will play the 2. Does he have the outside shot (or the handle) to play that position? He certainly is a leaper but his highlights don't show a ton of jumpers. Also, others have said Jenkins would play the 3. Perhaps on defense but his offense seems better suited for a 4. He did not take many jumpers last year.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
A few have said that Mayimba will play the 2. Does he have the outside shot (or the handle) to play that position? He certainly is a leaper but his highlights don't show a ton of jumpers. Also, others have said Jenkins would play the 3. Perhaps on defense but his offense seems better suited for a 4. He did not take many jumpers last year.

Jalen will have to make obvious offensive improvements to be effective at the 3, but he has the quickness and athleticism to guard that spot and that is huge.

Mayimba is even more of an athletic freak with developing skills. He'll be a classic 2-3 swingman.

Imagine this lineup in the hands of a quality coach for 2015-16:

C -- Porter 6-10 So.
PF -- Royal 6-8 Sr.
SF -- Jenkins 6-8 Jr.
SG -- Mayimba 6-6 So.
PG -- Moore 6-2 Jr.

That five-man unit would be as athletic as any to take the court for Mason.

OP
undertherock

undertherock

Preferred Walk-On
You should be worried if you are pinning your hopes on 3 guys (Royal, Mayimba, Porter) that you claim are "solid" yet I'm guessing you haven't seen any of them play a minute of college basketball in person.

Love people who say a guy will be "solid" before he even puts on a Mason jersey. Fact is, we have ZERO idea how the young guys will adjust to college and no clue how good Royal will be after his injury and year off.

Holloway will NEVER be like Allen. Allen was all guts and drive. Holloway is all flash and dash.

I say with confidence that I believe Mayimba and Royal are solid based on the tape I have seen on YouTube. I do not however have a right to say Porter is solid because I have not seen any tape. With that said however he looks promising based on what I have read. Yes, it is true some freshmen have a hard time adjusting to college, but I believe Mayimba will be fine.

And finally, yes I agree with you that Holloway will never be aggressive as Allen. He did however show flashes that he can attack the rim with his floater. It is yet to be seen if he will changed his game and attack the basket more.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Jalen will have to make obvious offensive improvements to be effective at the 3, but he has the quickness and athleticism to guard that spot and that is huge.

Mayimba is even more of an athletic freak with developing skills. He'll be a classic 2-3 swingman.

Imagine this lineup in the hands of a quality coach for 2015-16:

C -- Porter 6-10 So.
PF -- Royal 6-8 Sr.
SF -- Jenkins 6-8 Jr.
SG -- Mayimba 6-6 So.
PG -- Moore 6-2 Jr.

That five-man unit would be as athletic as any to take the court for Mason.

Re: Mayimba, many thought the same of Birdsong.

Not trying to tear down the young man, just hope we can temper expectations of an 18 year old going against college seniors in the A-10.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Re: Mayimba, many thought the same of Birdsong.

Not trying to tear down the young man, just hope we can temper expectations of an 18 year old going against college seniors in the A-10.

Mayimba is a perimeter player. He just happens to be 6-6 with major hops and the ability to get to the rim.

He's in no way a tweener like Birdsong, who was also 6-6 but played mostly in the paint at Mount St. Joe's.

OP
undertherock

undertherock

Preferred Walk-On
Guys, we just graduated two guards who were among the best Mason players in *history*. We have no one to replace them. And, we are going to be better next year? Hahaha hahaha. I sure hope Carmelo Anthony comes walking through that door.

As much as I am worried about this being true, I'm hoping this can be a blessing in disguise by forcing the other guys to step up and be role players. But I highly doubt this to be the case, unless Moore and Holloway surprise us all (one can only dream). Our only real hope is that Jenkins, Royal, and Copes just dominate the paint. I mean on paper those 3 make our front court look good right?

They weren't that good. Wright is the seventh guy on the Final Four team because his defense is atrocious and as much as I love Allen, every game he would make a play responsible for a 4-5 swing the other way.

If we could simply develop a consistent low post threat next years team could be better just from that.

All depends on how these guys develop, if they do, and if Hewitt is the guy that can do it.

I agree, the team will likely be weaker, but thats far from a needing C armelo to walk through the door given.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
They weren't that good. Wright is the seventh guy on the Final Four team because his defense is atrocious and as much as I love Allen, every game he would make a play responsible for a 4-5 swing the other way.

If we could simply develop a consistent low post threat next years team could be better just from that.

All depends on how these guys develop, if they do, and if Hewitt is the guy that can do it.

I agree, the team will likely be weaker, but thats far from a needing C armelo to walk through the door given.

Right on about this. I am not going to miss Wright taking entire halves off or Allen dribbling the ball off his foot or picking up the ball for no reason. They were good players though and will be missed but it won't be that difficult to replace their production.