The NEW/Game 13 Thread: GMU at #6 Kansas on Saturday, January 1, at 5PM

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Men's Basketball Schedule Updates; Patriots to Play at #6 Kansas
FAIRFAX, Va. – The George Mason University men’s basketball team (7-5) will ring in the New Year with a game at #6/6 Kansas Saturday at historic Phog Allen Fieldhouse.

Mason’s A-10 game at Duquesne, originally scheduled for Jan. 2, has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocols within the Dukes program.

Tip-off between the Patriots and Jayhawks on New Year’s Day is set for 5 p.m (ET). The contest will be broadcast on Big 12 NOW on ESPN+. It’s the first ever matchup between George Mason and Kansas on the hardwood.

Kansas is the highest-ranked program Mason has battled since a Feb. 25, 2020 home contest vs. #4/3 Dayton. The Jayhawks are Mason’s highest-ranked road foe since a Nov. 22, 2019, game at #6/6 Maryland.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Apologies for yet another rushed report.

Kansas is currently 9-1 on the season. They are 5 - 0 at home and 1 - 0 on the road, and 3 - 1 at neutral sites.

Wins: Michigan St., Tarelton St., Stony Brook, North Texas, Iona, St. John’s, UTEP, Missouri, Stephen F. Austin,
Losses: Dayton
Canceled: Colorado, TCU,

Schedule: https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule/
Roster: https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster/
Stats: https://kuathletics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Kansas-Stats-12.18.pdf

Kansas is led by 6’5” Ochai Agbaji (22.0 ppg & 4.2 reb), 6’7” Christian Braun (16.8 ppg &6.7 reb), and 6’0” Remy Martin (10.9 ppg & 4.1 reb). 6’10” David McCormack and 6.1” Dajuan Harris round out the starting 5. 6’8” Mitch Lightfoot, 6’1” Bobby Pettiford, and 6’8” Jalen Wilson have averaged double digit minutes off the bench for the Jayhawks.

Kansas averages 85.8 points per game while giving up 67.2. The Jayhawks are shooting 51.9% from the floor and 37.6% from 3. Opponents are shooting 43.8% from the field and 31.9% from 3. They shoot 69.4% from the free throw line. The Jayhawks are out rebounding by their opponents to the tune of 6.5 boards per game. They average 11.4 turnovers per game.

The game is on The Big 12 NOW on ESPN+.

My prediction: I just don’t see us winning this game but talk about your golden opportunity!!!! National exposure will be a good thing if we can keep this one close. I have to go with Kansas winning this one 75 - 69. We keep it respectable.

We finish the OOC portion of our season 7-6.

Discuss.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Merged the threads together- thanks to @jessej for starting it. @Patriotsince81 do your preview thing.

Excited to see Mason go up against a top 10 school. Not going to be easy at all going on the road but glad they are up for the challenge. They have nothing to lose and gain some great experience.

Kansas plays Nevada tonight for those who want to scout.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Looking at Kansas on Kenpom. This game not listed yet. Kansas is only projected to lose one more game pre-tournament - to #1 Baylor in Feb.

This could get ugly - then again Dayton beat them by 1 in November.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Looking at Kansas on Kenpom. This game not listed yet. Kansas is only projected to lose one more game pre-tournament - to #1 Baylor in Feb.

This could get ugly - then again Dayton only lost to them by 1 in November.
Dayton beat them in November?

FreeGunston12

All-American
Absolutely nothing to lose (so long as the team doesn't catch covid). If we get blown out, so what? It's a first year head coach going into Phog Allen against a top 10 team. Always a chance of pulling some miracle off.

The guys gotta be chomping at the bit to get back out there after the Wisconsin debacle too.

He15man

Starter
Wow... I love the balls on this guy. We haven't played a game in 8 days, and the last two opponents didn't present much of a challenge... so that's what? About 22 days since a meaningful matchup? And he goes and schedules a game with a blue blood (on their turf) and the #6 squad in the country. I LOVE this... even if it doesn't end well for us. This is the type of schedule that gets you ready - physically and mentally - for league play, and for quality league opponents. This is the kind of thing that makes me confident KE knows how to prepare a team throughout the course of a season and to peak at the right time of year -- the end, during league championships and ahead of the NCAA tournament.

This'll be a really fascinating one to watch to see how our guys compare with blue chippers and 1 or 2 potential 2022 first rounders (Agbaji and Braun).

He15man

Starter
Uh, yeah.... who's the lucky person that draws THIS assignment defensively? I remember the days when we'd put Lamar or John Vaughn on the other team's best offensive player and they'd typically keep them under control. But I don't know if anyone on this team has earned a rep as an elite defender. I assume we give Ticket the first run at him, and if that doesn't work, it goes to Schwartz? Maybe both switch on and off of him?