Team Leaders for 2014-15

Pablo

Hall of Famer
In basketball, you generally want your best player(s) to be your team leader(s). This may not be the case for the 2014-15 Patriots. In fact, the team leaders this season could be non-starters such as senior PG Corey Edwards & junior forward Marko Gujanicic. While these are not the Patriots' best players, they are unselfish, instructive team players.

Isn't this what the Patriots need in team leaders this season?

sigmanorm

Starter
I was talking to VG about that this weekend. He seems to want to embrace a leadership role. I hope someone does. That is what we have been missing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
In basketball, you generally want your best player(s) to be your team leader(s). This may not be the case for the 2014-15 Patriots. In fact, the team leaders this season could be non-starters such as senior PG Corey Edwards & junior forward Marko Gujanicic. While these are not the Patriots' best players, they are unselfish, instructive team players.

Isn't this what the Patriots need in team leaders this season?

While there are exceptions, the best leaders are usually guys who lead by example first.

Difficult, but not impossible, to do that when you're only playing 10-15 minutes a night. Paris Bennett did it, but only because we had a team almost devoid of leadership.

I figure Holloway will be the leader of this team, with Jenkins in a supporting leadership role. Can't wait to watch Patrick blossom this season. He is special.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I can recall a game that the Patriots were letting a big lead slip away and George Evans yelled at his teammates to start hustling. They understood the message real fast! Will Thomas was another team leader who you didn't want to piss off.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim beat me to the punch. Guys like Marko and Copes are probably the most fiery players on the roster, but I think this team belongs to Holloway and Jenkins. They are our two best players and it's incumbent on them to step up and embrace that role with their play and their actions on and off the court.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Pat has only begun to scratch the surface of the player he's going to become over his final 2 seasons at Mason.

He understandably deferred to Sherrod and BA the past 2 seasons, but he has tremendous leadership instincts -- he played on a fairly loaded team his senior year at PVI, but even the best guys took their lead from the way he carried himself on and off the court. It went without saying that the ball would be in his hands at the end of close games and whenever the team needed a winning play.

Also, all coaches ideally want their leaders to be their hardest workers, and I can't think of anyone in our program who has put in more time to prepare for this season than Pat.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If I'm not mistaken, Patrick has shot the ball more frequently the past 2 seasons than any other Patriot. The question in my mind is whether he will step up defensively in his final 2 seasons?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If I'm not mistaken, Patrick has shot the ball more frequently the past 2 seasons than any other Patriot. The question in my mind is whether he will step up defensively in his final 2 seasons?

Pat's never going to be a defensive stopper, but as with our entire roster, he does need to improve significantly in that area.

As far as taking a high volume of shots, that was his role the last 2 seasons. I would imagine that he'll have the freedom to do far more than just sit behind the arc and chuck up 3s this season ... he certainly has the ability to do so.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Pat's never going to be a defensive stopper, but as with our entire roster, he does need to improve significantly in that area.

As far as taking a high volume of shots, that was his role the last 2 seasons. I would imagine that he'll have the freedom to do far more than just sit behind the arc and chuck up 3s this season ... he certainly has the ability to do so.

Jim,

I would be satisfied if Patrick used his quickness to get into the passing lanes and get some steals (just 13 steals in 2013-14). Regarding his shot selection in 2013-14:

3-Pt. FGA's: 124
2-Pt. FGA's: 121

Good chance ebola whittles us down to our second or third choice anyhow.

I also would like the team quarantined into units of four, so if one unit gets ebola, we can proceed with eight players.

I have a feeling ebola talk will dominate most of our threads this year. Well that in addition to people reminding us they are not fans of Hewitt in every thread, of course.

BTW...snap popularity poll. Ebola or Hewitt?

wijg

Starter
...snap popularity poll. Ebola or Hewitt?
Jollay, please don't be so hard on Ebola. It really does not have a bad track record over the last decade. Ebola just needs to get the right guys in place before it starts performing up to its potential. Give it about 5 years to really work it's magic. I really get tired of everyone blaming all these deaths on Ebola. You really make me want to stop reading the boards when all you do is criticize Ebola. Can't we talk about other reasons for these deaths without having to blame Ebola for it?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
While I've been impressed so far this season with the team leadership of co-captains Corey Edwards & Marko Gujanicic, the problem IMO is that oftentimes neither of them are on the court. Hopefully, someone else will step up to assist them and the team can succeed in spite of the coaching deficiencies.

DeepValue

Starter
Pat reminds me a little of Booker Woodfox from Creighton. Not sure if there is a point to that except that Booker wasn't necessarily the leader or even a starter for his Creighton team despite winning league MVP.

This team lacks leadership from the top. Often, when something goes wrong, you will see Hewitt turn his back to the court or frown or look sullen in some way. The team mirrors his defeated body language.