Shaka to Marquette?

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
He turned down UCLA where he would have been able to go toe-to-toe in recruiting with UK, KU, UNC, and Duke; and Illinois, which is a rare basketball first school in the B1G, so I'm not really sure why he'd want to play second-fiddle in North Carolina.

I realize he turned down UCLA and it seems he's holding out for a Top 5-10 job (if there are 10 jobs better than UCLA) but he continues to pick up the phone for schools like Marq and Wake and talk to them long enough to get an offer. Maybe he's just doing it to keep his name out there or to squeeze a few more bucks out of vcu, but it makes me wonder if he's a little closer to bailing than many may think.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I realize he turned down UCLA and it seems he's holding out for a Top 5-10 job (if there are 10 jobs better than UCLA) but he continues to pick up the phone for schools like Marq and Wake and talk to them long enough to get an offer. Maybe he's just doing it to keep his name out there or to squeeze a few more bucks out of vcu, but it makes me wonder if he's a little closer to bailing than many may think.

UCLA is a top 5 job in college hoops, its one of the blue blood programs. To be honest, I see Shaka as a tease in that he will always do this each offseason and drive his price up and keep the interest up. Sooner or later I would have to think vcu wont be able to pay him if he keeps it up, and hell eventually leave. But who knows what goes on in his head.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Some people have a "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" view on a job. Smart may simply realize that it isn't a sure thing that he could replicate success somewhere else. Capel and Grant couldn't. Now most coaches have such egos that they discount that possibility. Unfortunately for us, some coaches even fail and still think they are good coaches.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Some people have a "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" view on a job. Smart may simply realize that it isn't a sure thing that he could replicate success somewhere else. Capel and Grant couldn't. Now most coaches have such egos that they discount that possibility. Unfortunately for us, some coaches even fail and still think they are good coaches.

CBS Sports PR @CBSSportsGang
Follow

Shaka Smart to #CBS's Greg Gumbel on why he didn't leave for Illinois: "It came down that I love it at vcu...Don't run away from happiness."

8:16 PM - 22 Mar 2012

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would shaka leave for unstable programs? He makes $1.3m and can do so for as long as he wants. If he leaves for a $3m job, isn't that more pressure, and possibly less money in the long run if he isn't successfull? Besides can he even take GIMMICK ....ERR I MEAN HAVOC, with him? Isn't it a trademark of the school?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why would shaka leave for unstable programs? He makes $1.3m and can do so for as long as he wants. If he leaves for a $3m job, isn't that more pressure, and possibly less money in the long run if he isn't successfull? Besides can he even take GIMMICK ....ERR I MEAN HAVOC, with him? Isn't it a trademark of the school?

That's what I've been saying all along. It's about expectations. It's like Tubby Smith being fired at Kentucky: In 10 years at Kentucky he went to 10 NCAA tournaments, 1 national championship, 3 Elite Eights, 2 Sweet Sixteens and 4 round of 32 (never crashed out in the first round), and compiled an overall record of 263-83 (120-40 in conference). For that he gets fired, because the fans expect him to reach the final four every year and he couldn't deliver. That's the kind of pressure facing a top 5 coach.

At vcu, as long as he makes the tournament regularly he's got a job for life and at 1.3 million that's nice job security.

Patriotfan49

Starter
The security aspect makes sense, 100%. Just thinking that when UCLA comes knocking, that alot of guys would go there and give it a shot. Shaka is one of the rare ones.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You mean Wojo wouldn't leave marquette to come back to duke? NEGATIVE.