Shaka to Marquette?

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
They just had their post graduation job opportunities dry up.
In case you hadn't noticed, being correct is way down the totem pole (is that an ok reference to use) as far as journalists are concerned. Being first is what counts these days and holding them accountable to inaccurate (i.e. a lie - something you know to be untrue) reporting doesn't happen.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Eventually ADs are going to realize that Shaka is basically the product of an incredible marketing campaign and that his performance hasn't come close to matching the hype.

Other than a 3-week stretch in which (mostly) Anthony Grant's players got insanely hot from 3-point range, I haven't seen much to suggest that Shaka should be considered a "Man of March."

He's had 5 chances to win his conference regular-season title and 5 more chances to win a conference tournament. That's 10 possible titles. He's won 1.

But I don't blame him for staying at vcu. He's making a ton of dough by Richmond's standards and has basically zero pressure. Ultimate job security, even if it is in the armpit of the South.

PDGL Hoops

Starter
If I were him I would ride the vcu job into the ground and if there were no good options to coach jump on the ESPN bandwagon. All the while saving as much as possible.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If I were him I would ride the vcu job into the ground and if there were no good options to coach jump on the ESPN bandwagon. All the while saving as much as possible.

He won't get fired by vcu unless he gets caught in a hotel room with a dead girl or a live boy.

Those skinny jeans-wearing foofs think he is a god.

There were more than 150 comments killing a columnist from the Richmond paper for having the temerity to suggest that vcu needs to occasionally make it beyond the first weekend of the tournament to justify the investment it has made in the men's basketball program.

Laughably, some of them asked if a columnist in Durham would've had the nerve to write such a column about Coach K after Duke's loss to Mercer.

That's how delusional those bastards are. I know math isn't their strong suit, but Coach K has 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Pretty sure that buys you a little room for error from the fan base.

Shaka can't even win his own damn conference.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Shaka is smart enough to know that his system won't run in the NBA.

Look no further than last year's tournament game against Michigan to see what happens when you try to press an NBA backcourt. Pressing teams look like world-beaters when they're more athletic at every position, but they get undressed by athletes with tight handles. You rarely see a press at the NBA level. I'd be surprised if any NBA teams are even interested in him.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Look no further than last year's tournament game against Michigan to see what happens when you try to press an NBA backcourt. Pressing teams look like world-beaters when they're more athletic at every position, but they get undressed by athletes with tight handles. You rarely see a press at the NBA level. I'd be surprised if any NBA teams are even interested in him.

You're right. The Celtics never would've pursued Stevens if he relied on a gimmick system to produce victories.

Harry

Starter
There were more than 150 comments killing a columnist from the Richmond paper for having the temerity to suggest that vcu needs to occasionally make it beyond the first weekend of the tournament to justify the investment it has made in the men's basketball program.
Sigh...what a good problem to have, when making the NCAAT every year is not good enough...

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Not surprised Shaka turned down Marquette, but if Wake Forest backs up the truck with about $3M per year, that's going to be tougher to turn down. Obviously, he'd rather get an elite job like UNC, Duke, UK, KU, Florida (or a good NBA franchise) but he could be waiting awhile and there's no guarantee an offer comes from one of those since they may stay in-house or hire a coach from another HM (like UK, IU, KU and UNC did the last time around).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not surprised Shaka turned down Marquette, but if Wake Forest backs up the truck with about $3M per year, that's going to be tougher to turn down. Obviously, he'd rather get an elite job like UNC, Duke, UK, KU, Florida (or a good NBA franchise) but he could be waiting awhile and there's no guarantee an offer comes from one of those since they may stay in-house or hire a coach from another HM (like UK, IU, KU and UNC did the last time around).

He turned down UCLA where he would have been able to go toe-to-toe in recruiting with UK, KU, UNC, and Duke; and Illinois, which is a rare basketball first school in the B1G, so I'm not really sure why he'd want to play second-fiddle in North Carolina.

KAOriginal

All-American
He turned down UCLA where he would have been able to go toe-to-toe in recruiting with UK, KU, UNC, and Duke; and Illinois, which is a rare basketball first school in the B1G, so I'm not really sure why he'd want to play second-fiddle in North Carolina.

I second this.

He can stay at vcu, make the tourney pretty easily, get raises every so often, and by making it regularly to the NCAAs, will guarantee him the job as long he wants. All without the "heat" that would come from taking on a mediocre or rebuild in a power conference.

Sure he might jump for a MARQUEE name IF the opportunity came...but just dont see him jumping to anything less. Kansas and Kentucky are probably the only 2 where he would have a shot...dont see UNC or Duke stepping outside the family......

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I second this.

He can stay at vcu, make the tourney pretty easily, get raises every so often, and by making it regularly to the NCAAs, will guarantee him the job as long he wants. All without the "heat" that would come from taking on a mediocre or rebuild in a power conference.

Sure he might jump for a MARQUEE name IF the opportunity came...but just dont see him jumping to anything less. Kansas and Kentucky are probably the only 2 where he would have a shot...dont see UNC or Duke stepping outside the family......

Florida should be No. 1 on that list.

If Billy D wins a third national title this season, the NBA is gonna come calling again and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes this time. The money NBA teams are throwing around at coaches is just mind-blowing.

If Florida comes open, Shaka is gone. Book it ... and even the vcu fans know it.

It would be their worst nightmare come true.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Florida should be No. 1 on that list.

If Billy D wins a third national title this season, the NBA is gonna come calling again and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes this time. The money NBA teams are throwing around at coaches is just mind-blowing.

If Florida comes open, Shaka is gone. Book it ... and even the vcu fans know it.

It would be their worst nightmare come true.
I don't think Billy Donovan will ever leave UF for an NBA job. His mentor failed spectacularly. He jilted the Magic. He can win more NCs at UF. They pay him well. Why leave?

KAOriginal

All-American
I don't think Billy Donovan will ever leave UF for an NBA job. His mentor failed spectacularly. He jilted the Magic. He can win more NCs at UF. They pay him well. Why leave?

I think he stays but who knows. Sometimes its not about the money, it's the change of scenery. Good coaches are the ones who are driven to find that next success....

Of course, if the NBA stint doesn't work out, it's not like he won't be able to get a premium college job on his return....

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm still not sold on Shaka. More hype than substance. He has a gimmick system that is unproven vs teams with good guards. So his system blowouts mid to lower pack teams. Big whoop. It's fading fast and his players are showing major dents in the armor. GIMMICK LIVES IN RICHMOND!

KAOriginal

All-American
I'm still not sold on Shaka. More hype than substance. He has a gimmick system that is unproven vs teams with good guards. So his system blowouts mid to lower pack teams. Big whoop. It's fading fast and his players are showing major dents in the armor. GIMMICK LIVES IN RICHMOND!

Remember the ADs out there are no different than TOC.

They need to hire a name with flair to prove something, especially in rebuild or can we upgrade mode. Until he's not making the NCAA's regularly and not the media darling to get the added air time PR for a school....he will be on the short list and "a great hire" for an AD.

Image is sometimes all you need....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

All good points, Walter.

On the other hand, Nick Saban could've stayed in college football and kept racking up national titles, but even he couldn't resist the urge to see if he could make it in the NFL.

As KA noted, there's something about many coaches that drives them to compete at the highest level possible.

And while Billy is paid very well at UF, he could easily expect to double his $3 million annual salary in the NBA.

I could see how a 5-year, $30 million contract could be very enticing, especially if a prestigious franchise like the Knicks or Lakers came after him.

Even Brad Stevens had to go pro once the Celtics called ... and I don't think anybody saw that one coming.