News Reports: Texas hires Shaka Smart to lead Longhorns

Robot

Administrator
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"Reports: Texas hires Shaka Smart to lead Longhorns" by News Robot

Texas has hired one of the best young coaches in college basketball to lead the Longhorns, multiple outlets reported Thursday night citing sources. Texas athletic director Steve Patterson flew to Richmond, Va., on Thursday and offered Smart the chance to coach in the Big 12 Conference at its richest school. Apparently the offer was too […]

Continue reading...

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Texas fires their AD. Now its suspected that Charlie Strong is gonna go at seasons end. If I'm Shaka, i'm doubling checking the fine print of my contract. The pressure builds for him and its only Sept.

GMU92

Starter
Texas fires their AD. Now its suspected that Charlie Strong is gonna go at seasons end. If I'm Shaka, i'm doubling checking the fine print of my contract. The pressure builds for him and its only Sept.

Sounds like the Texas AD pi$$ed off fans and donors by jacking up the giving levels and pushing some folks out of their seats, all while UT football has been mediocre for the better part of a decade. 6-7 record last year, and they opened with a 38-3 butt pounding from Notre Dame this season. There's only so much good will to tap into before people start to complain or walk away. As far as Shaka Khan is concerned, its only fair to give him some time, but that's the gamble.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Where do you see that about Strong? He didn't even report directly to the AD.

And where is he going to go that pays more money or in a better situation to rebuild then Texas?

GMU92

Starter
Where do you see that about Strong? He didn't even report directly to the AD.

And where is he going to go that pays more money or in a better situation to rebuild then Texas?

There are some vague unsubstantiated statements to the effect in the ESPN article on the situation (link below)...stating that he has fan support but implying that he has a 7-8 record. Points out that Shaka hasn't yet coached his first game. Don't see either of them going anywhere for a while. The AD situation was folks getting angry over rising ticket prices, required donation levels, and people getting booted from their season tickets after loyally enduring some pretty rough seasons by Longhorns standards.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ghorns-fire-athletic-director-steve-patterson

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yea, I think it was more along the lines of Strong could have some issues depending upon who the new AD will be....Perhaps Mack Brown being back. I don't think much of this will affect Shaka.