Real GM Previews A10

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
http://basketball.realgm.com/articl...antic-10?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.com

George Mason: George Mason has incredible depth in the frontcourt. It starts with former Top 100 recruit and Georgia Tech transfer Julian Royal who is debuting this season. But don’t overlook the slightly undersized Jalen Jenkins and Eric Copes, who were outstanding shot-blockers and rebounders last year, though Jenkins is the better offensive player. And while ESPN, Rivals, and Scout had mixed reviews, Scout gave a very high ranking to freshman Therence Mayimba. The difference in recruiting ranking probably comes down to potential vs ability. Mayimba is a great athlete and rebounder who is raw. Meanwhile Top 100 JUCO recruit Shevon Thompson is a true 7 footer who should make an impact right away. I honestly keep waiting to hear that incumbent junior forward Marko Gujanicic has transferred. That’s what tends to happen in these situations. And I don’t know why three star forward Trey Porter chose George Mason over George Washington when he’s almost guaranteed to redshirt at GMU.

The backcourt has one true asset, lights out three point shooter Patrick Holloway. But Vaughn Gray is a weak backup and there are no other obvious three point-shooters on the team. The PG spot is also very shaky with either turnover prone Marquise Moore, turnover prone Corey Edwards, or freshman Isaiah Jackson taking the reins. Most importantly, Paul Hewitt checks in as one of the worst player development coaches in my data set. He’s a solid recruiter, but his offenses rarely live up to expectations.

And even if you don’t buy the historical stats, when you look at that type of roster construction you can still sort of see why the model would not be in love with this team. With only one good shooter and no good passers, it is not clear how the team will have the spacing to run a competent offense

Dawgs99

Starter
I'd love to see VG make this guy eat his words....but honestly can't really disagree with anything he said.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
"Turnover prone" Marquise Moore? Ouch. That's not exactly fair lol.

Was just going to post this. An interesting assessment. Not bad from a roster assessment standpoint for someone I assume is not that familiar with GMU.

Had issues w/ labelling Moore as turnover prone, and wondering why Porter would choose GMU over GW when he will redshirt here (it's guaranteed here? He definitely wouldn't elsewhere? He's against it?) But fairly good piece.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
http://basketball.realgm.com/articl...antic-10?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.com

Most importantly, Paul Hewitt checks in as one of the worst player development coaches in my data set. He’s a solid recruiter, but his offenses rarely live up to expectations.
Okay, that is BS. I am going to defend Paul Hewitt here as his offenses have always lived up to my expectations. I always expect a Paul Hewitt offense to operate much like a clogged toilet. Anyone with a different expectations has not been paying attention.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Okay, that is BS. I am going to defend Paul Hewitt here as his offenses have always lived up to my expectations. I always expect a Paul Hewitt offense to operate much like a clogged toilet. Anyone with a different expectations has not been paying attention.

Walter always brings it! :superhappy:

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Actually, there were a few games last season when the Patriots kept the turnovers low and played efficiently. Hopefully, PG Marquise Moore will be healthy and continue to improve.

And, I'm trying my best to be positive about this season.

Dawgs99

Starter
It will be interesting to see if/how much Hewitt plays Jackson at the point. Seems like he got decent minutes in Spain. Obviously Marquise is the starter but does Jackson leap frog Edwards for time at the 1? Also curious to see where Lockett plays....would have been nice to see him participate in the practice a few weeks back.

MasonCrew

Starter
It was a fairly good assessment, IMO. I do hope both VG and Moore make him eat his words, but I've pretty much given up on optimism. Our success is going to hinge heavily on our guard play. I'm somewhat expecting the front court to be consistently formidable.

All in all, I'm very excited to see this team play, as always. I've just lowered my expectations.

As a side note, when Jenkins, Royal, and Copes play together, we'll have three former (albeit one very briefly) top 100 recruits on the floor. Small victories.

polepino

Starter
Wow, that guy put it down. Crappin on the pg situation and Hewitt. Like many of you its a situation of damn that sounds harsh but I dont have much to say in rebuttal except I hope they do better than you say. Only a few more months, excitement is building!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Moore averaged 1.5 turnovers and 2.7 assists in about 22 minutes a game last year. I hope that he improves upon those numbers as a sophomore. I'd also be interested to see if he improved over the course of the season last year as his minutes increased.

I'm very intrigued by the new faces. The fact that the lineup could be no shorter than 6'5 is definitely new to me as a Mason fan and I am looking forward to it. For the team to have success, I do think the new guys have to step up tremendously. Hope they are up for the challenge.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Moore averaged 1.5 turnovers and 2.7 assists in about 22 minutes a game last year. I hope that he improves upon those numbers as a sophomore.
I'd like to see those numbers improve too, but can you really say they are bad numbers for a freshman PG? I'd like to see more assists, team-wide, but a 2.7 : 1.5 assist-to-TO ratio ain't bad for a true freshman.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Moore averaged 1.5 turnovers and 2.7 assists in about 22 minutes a game last year. I hope that he improves upon those numbers as a sophomore. I'd also be interested to see if he improved over the course of the season last year as his minutes increased.

I'm very intrigued by the new faces. The fact that the lineup could be no shorter than 6'5 is definitely new to me as a Mason fan and I am looking forward to it. For the team to have success, I do think the new guys have to step up tremendously. Hope they are up for the challenge.

He had a couple of bad games that skew those numbers upward:

4 turnovers against vcu
4 @ Rhode Island
3 against Umass
and 3 each during both the St. Louis games

I'd say considering the level of guard play on each of those teams last year, he comported himself pretty well overall as a true freshman running the point.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd like to see those numbers improve too, but can you really say they are bad numbers for a freshman PG? I'd like to see more assists, team-wide, but a 2.7 : 1.5 assist-to-TO ratio ain't bad for a true freshman.

Oh I think that's pretty darn good for a freshman and I agree with gemini's point that a few games skewed the numbers. If I recall, and I could be mistaken, St. Louis had a top defense in the nation and of course vcu lives and breathes turnovers. I'd definitely love to see marquise improve and I think he will going forward on those numbers. If Jackson could supplement Moore as well, it would help tremendously as well. Unfortunately over the course of the year, the numbers added up and somewhat justified the "turnover prone" comment. I don't fully agree with it, but see why the author said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Whoever the PG is, this team simply has to pass the ball more effectively to have any chance of being successful.

The person who did the RealGM analysis was spot on in that regard -- we were an absolutely atrocious passing team last season.

Hopefully replacing two guys who were terrific 1-on-1 isolation players with more team-oriented play and ball movement will produce more victories.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I agree.

It all comes down to fundamentals. They are the same fundamentals that those of us who have coached at any level have used. Making good passes, getting back on defense, boxing out, etc. Now doing all these things does not guarantee victory, but not doing these thing guarantees a loss.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We'll get a chance this season to see if Hewitt's system was to blame for our reliance on isolations/ball screens and our lack of ball movement, or if it was simply a matter of having 2 guards who were always hunting their own shots to the detriment of their team.

Since Holloway is the only proven scorer on the roster, I would hope Hewitt could get the players to buy into the need to move the ball in order to create open shots.