Hall of Famer

Team Names12T
DePaul304070
Providence344781

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Some speculation from Knoxville sports radio that Regular Season Rick may step down after this season. More speculation that Kimmie would be on the short list. A .533 in conference record used to get a coach on the hot seat, not a pay bump.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Some speculation from Knoxville sports radio that Regular Season Rick may step down after this season. More speculation that Kimmie would be on the short list. A .533 in conference record used to get a coach on the hot seat, not a pay bump.
Indeed. So far, he hasn't proven anything.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any links to articles?

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Who is saying this? Basillio?

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m in the hiring business. I have a business that places highly cleared intelligence and tech professionals to corporations.

I have had one candidate over the last 8 years who has interviewed with 5 clients and all were blown away and hired him every time.

And every time, about a year later he is fired for performance issues.

This is Kim English. On the outside, he fits the bill of the perfect coach. Says all the right things, has the right look, has the charm and the bullshit factor that just sweeps people off their feet in an interview. They fall in love with him so much that the recognition of incompetence gets delayed until the program is in shambles.

He is not a good coach. He will never be really successful. Which is why he will jump ship every time (if he can) if another opportunity comes up before he gets exposed.

So glad he isn’t here anymore.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m in the hiring business. I have a business that places highly cleared intelligence and tech professionals to corporations.

I have had one candidate over the last 8 years who has interviewed with 5 clients and all were blown away and hired him every time.

This is Kim English. On the outside, he fits the bill of the perfect coach. Says all the right things, has the right look, has the charm and the bullshit factor that just sweeps people off their feet in an interview. They fall in love with him so much that the recognition of incompetence gets delayed until the program is in shambles.

He is not a good coach. He will never be really successful. Which is why he will jump ship every time (if he can) if another opportunity comes up before he gets exposed.

Snake oil salesman. Like the guy in the white suit that Clint Eastwood spit tobacco juice on in The Outlaw Josey Wales."

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I have no idea if he will end up being a successful coach long term, and I certainly have my own thoughts on his tenure in Fairfax, but nearly any sane coach leaves Mason for Providence. That can't be viewed as "jumping ship" in any way.

As far as Providence to Tennessee goes, that wouldn't be "jumping ship" either. Tennessee is a better job than Providence. Interested to see who Mizzou hires as their next AD (after their AD just left to go to Arizona which is a curious move in its own right) and how Gates does next year. Could setup a homecoming situation if Mizzou commits resources.

Fwiw, I don't see KE as a successor to Barnes here in Knoxville. Danny White (and his family) are about as connected in the college basketball world as you could hope to be.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I have no idea if he will end up being a successful coach long term, and I certainly have my own thoughts on his tenure in Fairfax, but nearly any sane coach leaves Mason for Providence. That can't be viewed as "jumping ship" in any way.

As far as Providence to Tennessee goes, that wouldn't be "jumping ship" either. Tennessee is a better job than Providence. Interested to see who Mizzou hires as their next AD (after their AD just left to go to Arizona which is a curious move in its own right) and how Gates does next year. Could setup a homecoming situation if Mizzou commits resources.

Fwiw, I don't see KE as a successor to Barnes here in Knoxville. Danny White (and his family) are about as connected in the college basketball world as you could hope to be.
I too see Mizzou as his next coaching job. Frankly, UT is too big a job at this point to take a chance on a guy who hasn't proven it. However, UM makes sense for the school and Kimmie.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

I assume that you said "nearly any sane coach leaves Mason for Providence" because evidently Providence alum Jim Larranaga turned down their offer.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I assume that you said "nearly any sane coach leaves Mason for Providence" because evidently Providence alum Jim Larranaga turned down their offer.
Yeah I guess he was just comfortable at Mason or the rebuild job at Providence wasn't attractive. At the time maybe he really did want to retire at Mason, i don't know. I'm sure Dusty May had opportunities last offseason that he turned down to stay at FAU for a while longer, but he will be gone soon.

My point is that he left for a (significantly) better job.

Aldousflux

Recruit
I too see Mizzou as his next coaching job. Frankly, UT is too big a job at this point to take a chance on a guy who hasn't proven it. However, UM makes sense for the school and Kimmie.
- Devin Carter is currently projected to go 17th in the draft in ESPN's latest mock, so he's most likely gone
- Ticket and Josh are both out of eligibility after this year
- Justyn has been out all year with an injury, so no idea how he'll play in the BE all while Barron hasn't impressed

He's got a couple good players in Floyd and Pierre for next year, but given Mizzou is most likely about to go winless in conference play and move on from their coach is it crazy to say he could move there this offseason?

- Devin Carter is currently projected to go 17th in the draft in ESPN's latest mock, so he's most likely gone
- Justyn has been out all year with an injury, so no idea how he'll play in the BE all while Barron hasn't impressed

He's got a couple good players in Floyd and Pierre for next year, but given Mizzou is most likely about to go winless in conference play and move on from their coach is it crazy to say he could move there this offseason?
I reject the notion that Corey Floyd is any good, that dude has been le hot garbage in every Providence game I've caught this year.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Can't move on from your coach when you don't even have an AD. Gates had a really good year last year which got him a pretty large extension with a raise. His buyout is probably a non-starter for a few years. Mizzou doesn't have the kind of money the rest of the SEC does.

While this season has been horrendous, he deserves a couple more.

Can't move on from your coach when you don't even have an AD. Gates had a really good year last year which got him a pretty large extension with a raise. His buyout is probably a non-starter for a few years. Mizzou doesn't have the kind of money the rest of the SEC does.

While this season has been horrendous, he deserves a couple more.
We gotta remember they made round two of the tourney last year and Mizzou let Kim Anderson have three sub-150 KemPom seasons, so this won't end Gates

Aldousflux

Recruit
I reject the notion that Corey Floyd is any good, that dude has been le hot garbage in every Providence game I've caught this year.
Woops meant Hopkins instead of Floyd. Guess that just shows the holes he'll have to fill if its guys like Floyd averaging 4.5pts who will be coming back while Oduro and most likely Carter are gone.