Please Not Adidas, Please Not Adidas...

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Mason is currently requesting bids from athletic apparel companies to outfit all of our athletic programs with athletic gear and footwear. Proposals are due Feb 24th, they will be reviewed and scored by March 3rd, and it should be awarded the week of March 16th.

Here is some of the proposal:

I. PURPOSE. The purpose of this request is to solicit proposals from qualified sources to establish a term contract with one qualified source through competitive negotiations to be the exclusive provider of athletic apparel and footwear, equipment, product and other monetary compensation. George Mason University (hereinafter called “Mason” or “university”) is an Institution of Higher Education of the Commonwealth of Virginia

GENERAL:

1. Mason intends to consolidate its apparel purchasing power under one manufacturer with the expectation that this will allow it to buy directly from the manufacturer without going through a dealer/distributor and incurring their mark-up; receive promotional apparel for coaches and athletic staff; enhance recruiting and marketing through association with a high profile manufacturer.

2. While the intent is to incorporate all of Mason’s 22 intercollegiate programs competing within NCAA Division I under a single “official” apparel company, any ‘items’ not handled by the selected Offeror will be purchased through other companies. However, any Offeror responding must at a minimum propose to provide ‘compensation’ in some form for Mason’s two “flagship” athletic programs: Men’s Basketball and Women’s Basketball.

B. SPECIFIC:

1. Items Sought: Items sought include, but are not limited to, game and practice jerseys, pants, practice shirts, headwear, shorts, wind suits, travel gear, warm-up gear, travel bags, socks, sports bras, footwear, camp apparel, and school issued coaches apparel.

2. Programs to be Outfitted and Supported: All

A. EVALUATION CRITERIA: Proposals shall be evaluated by George Mason University using the following criteria:

Point Value Description
25 Quality of products.
25 Pricing.
25 Creativity and innovation.
25 Sponsorship/monetary considerations.

I would like to stay with Nike, but I wouldn't mind if we switched over to Under Armour. I don't like Adidas and hope we don't go with them... and don't get me started about Russell or anything like that. I do like the idea of having all our programs under the same brand, instead of each team wearing different brands like they currently do now.

Thoughts?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
No reason to think NIKE can't handle this.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I started a similar program in our school district (we went w/Adidas).

It really came down to Nike and Adidas as the only two options as there were the only ones who could supply merchandise for all the different athletic teams (football, lacrosse, hockey, cheer, soccer, wrestling, track, etc.) and able to provide equipment and shoes.

OP
dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I just don't see Nike offering us a lot of money to outfit our programs when they already have so many programs better than ours under the swoosh.

I think one of the smaller brands might be willing to pay a little more. With UA being so close, I wouldn't be shocked to see them offer us something more.

Isn't one of the Nike guys who does this sort of thing a former Mason player? I don't know why I think that - maybe read it somewhere?

*edit* - I think I'm thinking of Ric Wilson who worked for both Converse/Nike

Last edited:

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Adidas has recently added Miami and Arizona State. Nike has added Tennessee. Under Armour has added Notre Dame. From what I have read on UniWatch, Adidas and Under Armour generally pay higher than Nike. While Nike generally makes better products. So there is a trade off. Under Armour has good gear, but their footwear, especially for basketball, has been suspect in the past. Under Armour is also easy to work with from what I understand, while Nike isn't as much.

So if it is purely a financial decision I could see us going with UA or adidas. Somebody mentioned that with UA being in Maryland they may be more interested. I think they have pretty much every major school in Maryland (I'm not sure about Johns Hopkins.)

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If the university is soliciting shoe bids, then maybe we shouldn't have a thread called Please Not Adidas, Please Not Adidas

Who knows if Adidas would take the time to check out a fan message board, but I would.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Of the similar sized schools I can think of in our general area with adidas or under armour contracts I came up with (granted some schools have football, so it's sort of apples and oranges):

Towson - UA
UMBC - UA
Temple - UA
Rhode Island - adidas
Duquesne - adidas
Lasalle - UA

I couldn't find how much their deals were worth.

OP
dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
If the university is soliciting shoe bids, then maybe we shouldn't have a thread called Please Not Adidas, Please Not Adidas

Who knows if Adidas would take the time to check out a fan message board, but I would.

Even more reason to keep it up then, because I don't want to be an Adidas school, and I'm sure I have the power to make that happen.

OP
dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Of the similar sized schools I can think of in our general area with adidas or under armour contracts I came up with (granted some schools have football, so it's sort of apples and oranges):

Towson - UA
UMBC - UA
Temple - UA
Rhode Island - adidas
Duquesne - adidas
Lasalle - UA

I couldn't find how much their deals were worth.

I was looking too, couldn't find anything other than the BCS type schools. I did look at a Southern Miss contract that UA has with their baseball team - they get $5000 in gear and $5000 in coaching gear.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
...vcu getting $10,000 from Nike - my guess is we would be lucky to get anything close to that:

Maybe we can make money from companies if we promise not to wear their apparel. I bet Nike would pay at least $10,000 to not see us tripping over ourselves while wearing their product.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I would think signing a contract with any company for more than 5 years would be foolish. Our bargaining power is at its lowest point in years (declining wins, etc.). It will take a few years to get out of this mess. At that point we can renegociate.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I was looking too, couldn't find anything other than the BCS type schools. I did look at a Southern Miss contract that UA has with their baseball team - they get $5000 in gear and $5000 in coaching gear.

What I'm more interested in is LaSalle's UA deal. They are in the same conference and while we have had more success historically they are better right now. That's as close to an apples to apples comparison I could find, but there may be something else.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
What I'm more interested in is LaSalle's UA deal. They are in the same conference and while we have had more success historically they are better right now.

La Salle has 12 NCAA appearances, including the NCAA champion and runner-up in 1954 & 1955, respectively.