OT - Tony Shaver fired from William and Mary

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That's interesting. Reading the article, he really wasn't that successful there. Losing record overall, only 2 NIT in 16 years. And we all know they are one of very few "old" programs to have never played in the NCAAs.

Yet, I always thought of him as an excellent coach. Interesting to see if WM is capable of success, or if this firing is just going to prove that the problem wasn't ever Shaver.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That's interesting. Reading the article, he really wasn't that successful there. Losing record overall, only 2 NIT in 16 years. And we all know they are one of very few "old" programs to have never played in the NCAAs.

Yet, I always thought of him as an excellent coach. Interesting to see if WM is capable of success, or if this firing is just going to prove that the problem wasn't ever Shaver.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

He came so close at least three times. We stopped him in 2008.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Played AAU ball with his son for a couple years. Always thought he was a good coach and a good fit for that community. No, he didn’t take W&M to the promise land, but neither has anyone else. I hope this isn’t the end to his coaching career.

Edit: Does Nathan Knight want to transfer but keep wearing green and gold?

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Friends that have gone to W&M say the school is better off in the Patriot League. They fit the academic profile and spend what a top PL league will spend on hoops.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I am really surprised by this. Based on talk, I thought he would never be fired. Not saying his track record was so great, but I thought he was well thought of as a coach and was making do with what W&M provided him.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Played AAU ball with his son for a couple years. Always thought he was a good coach and a good fit for that community. No, he didn’t take W&M to the promise land, but neither has anyone else. I hope this isn’t the end to his coaching career.

Edit: Does Nathan Knight want to transfer but keep wearing green and gold?
this^^^^ we need Nathan Knight

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hey, why not bring Knight and Shaver??

New AD and she is trying to make moves.

such a sad day for Tribe Athletics. The new AD replaced their legendary retired football coach Jimmeye Laycock with former UVA coach Mike London. I've gotta admit, that was a heckuva hire for FCS football.

Shaver is a class act. He should latch on for another job very soon.

Saw some interesting replacements for Shaver listed on W&M message boards yesterday to include: UMBC's Ryan Odom, Vermont's John Becker, Nathan Davis from Bucknell, John Thompson III (Formerly of Georgetown), Lavell Moton NC Central, John Brannen Northern Kentucky

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
such a sad day for Tribe Athletics. The new AD replaced their legendary retired football coach Jimmeye Laycock with former UVA coach Mike London. I've gotta admit, that was a heckuva hire for FCS football.

Shaver is a class act. He should latch on for another job very soon.

Saw some interesting replacements for Shaver listed on W&M message boards yesterday to include: UMBC's Ryan Odom, Vermont's John Becker, Nathan Davis from Bucknell, John Thompson III (Formerly of Georgetown), Lavell Moton NC Central, John Brannen Northern Kentucky
Goodluck to them if they think they can realistically get half of these coaches

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How are they gonna sign recruits now that the test taker had been busted?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How are they gonna sign recruits now that the test taker had been busted?

Don’t know. GW fell off the cliff after the NCAA busted the diploma mills. This is going to really screw up UCLA, Stanford, Cali, Vanderbilt et al.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gotta give props to Shaver for doing so much with so little. If Shaver couldn’t take them dancing, I don’t think anyone else will unless they really reform their program.