Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
26421405411_2f689a2b42_b.jpg

JPgmuswim

Starter
Seems like they couldn't have picked a better day to show off the campus with this weather. Thanks for the pics and congrats to your son on picking Mason.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Seems like they couldn't have picked a better day to show off the campus with this weather. Thanks for the pics and congrats to your son on picking Mason.

Campus was great - a lot of students and representatives from all the activities. Co-eds barbecuing out in President's Park - volley ball games, activities. My son was excited - he saw the dorms and picked one out working to get his school mate from HS was with him.

This was so far and different from our day.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If they fed you, then they're ahead of what it was in my day too. My lasting memory is that I starved.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Another interesting tidbit - one of the student ambassadors said that next year as construction starts building out on west side of campus - they are researching plan to do a trolley car tour because it is too much to walk around the campus with over 3700 people that attend the open house. Apparently more projects are opening up on that side of campus .

Broads, Buicks, and Buckley

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Another interesting tidbit - one of the student ambassadors said that next year as construction starts building out on west side of campus - they are researching plan to do a trolley car tour because it is too much to walk around the campus with over 3700 people that attend the open house. Apparently more projects are opening up on that side of campus .

They're putting a new telecom hub over there to support future expansion. Apparently grad housing is gonna go up over. The trolley thing is cool; it's weird how compact and large the campus manages to be at the same time.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
They're putting a new telecom hub over there to support future expansion. Apparently grad housing is gonna go up over. The trolley thing is cool; it's weird how compact and large the campus manages to be at the same time.

Waking around yesterday it did not feel compact. There was some serious bumping going on to make it to all the stops. We walked the campus housing for freshman, all the dining facilities , the academic buildings, then to lunch, then to the Johnson center to meet each of the colleges (they had the dean of each college and some professors to speak with students). Then we toured the RAC, and the field house.

Compact was not the word that came to mind . In fact my son said he would definitely bring his bike when moving on campus.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Waking around yesterday it did not feel compact. There was some serious bumping going on to make it to all the stops. We walked the campus housing for freshman, all the dining facilities , the academic buildings, then to lunch, then to the Johnson center to meet each of the colleges (they had the dean of each college and some professors to speak with students). Then we toured the RAC, and the field house.

Compact was not the word that came to mind . In fact my son said he would definitely bring his bike when moving on campus.
It's not that it isn't a large campus, it's just how close a lot of stuff is. The core of campus is pretty dense with buildings. Perhaps dense is a better word.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It's not that it isn't a large campus, it's just how close a lot of stuff is. The core of campus is pretty dense with buildings. Perhaps dense is a better word.

Makes sense. When they start the southwest development it will spread out. Eventually the original quad is going away along with the Lecture hall. That will open up the main quad quite a bit and create a huge green space there. The southwest plans include creating a giant oval quad around Mason Pond.

I still didn't recognize the place and I go there a bit.

We also saw the new HHS building - that will be huge as well. It is a massive construction site.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Makes sense. When they start the southwest development it will spread out. Eventually the original quad is going away along with the Lecture hall. That will open up the main quad quite a bit and create a huge green space there. The southwest plans include creating a giant oval quad around Mason Pond.

I still didn't recognize the place and I go there a bit.

We also saw the new HHS building - that will be huge as well. It is a massive construction site.
When you say original quad you mean those four buildings or that odd little section next to them? I know they're expanding it farther back where A wing of fenwick sits and they're trying to put in some reflecting pool type thing. Lecture hall was supposed to come down when I was a sophomore and here I am taking grad school classes in it.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
When you say original quad you mean those four buildings or that odd little section next to them? I know they're expanding it farther back where A wing of fenwick sits and they're trying to put in some reflecting pool type thing. Lecture hall was supposed to come down when I was a sophomore and here I am taking grad school classes in it.
The original four buildings. As the HHS building comes on line and Robinson hall gets upgraded - they will be surpuflous. Lecture hall demo was delayed to provide some space as the new library is going up. The final phase of the library will remove the legacy side that extends towards the lecture hall.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The original four buildings. As the HHS building comes on line and Robinson hall gets upgraded - they will be surpuflous. Lecture hall demo was delayed to provide some space as the new library is going up. The final phase of the library will remove the legacy side that extends towards the lecture hall.
How does the university have space to not reconstruct Robinson B and get rid of four buildings? Even with one new one that seems like that's lowering capacity.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How does the university have space to not reconstruct Robinson B and get rid of four buildings? Even with one new one that seems like that's lowering capacity.

They have expanded both science and tech I and II, they built the new School of Engineering building; the build the Administrative building (which replaced Finley and West Building three times over ); and they are building Academic VII which will house the College of Nursing. All the newly built out space will more than make up for the loss of those four buildings. Keep in mind Finley and West housed admin offices space. West still has a few class rooms.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They have expanded both science and tech I and II, they built the new School of Engineering building; the build the Administrative building (which replaced Finley and West Building three times over ); and they are building Academic VII which will house the College of Nursing. All the newly built out space will more than make up for the loss of those four buildings. Keep in mind Finley and West housed admin offices space. West still has a few class rooms.
True. Know anything about the Econ building? Saw a picture once and never heard about it again.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
True. Know anything about the Econ building? Saw a picture once and never heard about it again.

I think that is part of the southwest sector development plan. Mason is currently completing build out of Northeast sector plan. That will be the last sector to initiate and complete on that side of 123 save for some land purchases they are looking at there for some additional space.

From that point on it is going to be the west side of campus as it is mostly raw unused woods and land.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Well at freshman orientation with the boy. It's a two day event going all day both days. It is years ahead of what I had. Non-stop food and events and they help get the students set up for the fall. He has his ID card and registered for classes . Met 5 new friends and has the roommate of his choice. Very well organized and they have two separate event tracks for parents and students

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Sitting in housing meeting now - going through due dates for everything and what you can move in with in terms of computers, electronic, laundry items and food. They have a tour of what the meal plans allow you to do. Even have a family dinner tonight.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sitting in housing meeting now - going through due dates for everything and what you can move in with in terms of computers, electronic, laundry items and food. They have a tour of what the meal plans allow you to do. Even have a family dinner tonight.

Are they putting extra emphasis now on "please don't make bombs in the dorms"?