OT James Johnson fired at VT

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to mention, JJ took over a team with very little ACC-level talent (besides Erick Green) after Finney-Smith left for Florida and Montrezl Harrell transferred to Louisville.

We've already been over what Bozo inherited, so no need to re-hash all that stuff.

I guess Tech's new AD wasn't interested in waiting to see what JJ could do with the young guys he's recruited.

Please God, for the love of all that is holy, give us a new AD with the same philosophy.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
If you need a laugh, go read the names VT's basketball 'fans' are throwing out as a potential replacement: Buzz Williams (Marquette), Shaka, Greg Marshall...I mean, why would you stay with #2 team in the country when you could head to the mecca of college basketball that is VT?

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I would love JJ to come back - he already has shown he can beat Hewitt head to head in the recruiting department (Devin Wilson) and he has some good SG's signed for this year that maybe he could bring along.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I would love JJ to come back - he already has shown he can beat Hewitt head to head in the recruiting department (Devin Wilson) and he has some good SG's signed for this year that maybe he could bring along.

I doubt any OCM's "best friend" is getting a look here.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So next year tech's going to be paying out 3 head coaching salaries and 2 AD salaries...

Pretty nice when your football program can pay off your basketball program's debts.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tech's new AD wanted to go after Shaka, but that's been taken off the table. Look for them to go after Archie Miller of Dayton. But Dayton is a better job, IMO.

mason2k1

Starter
Upside of losing is we won't have to worry about the BCS poaching Hewitt :crazyeyes:
GW's going to have to start saving up so they can keep Lonergan.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
GW's going to have to start saving up so they can keep Lonergan.

As Five Two can attest, many GW fans were calling for him to be fired a year ago. Amazing what a 5th-year senior, a transfer and several good recruits can do to turn around a program. We need to follow their lead.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
As Five Two can attest, many GW fans were calling for him to be fired a year ago. Amazing what a 5th-year senior, a transfer and several good recruits can do to turn around a program. We need to follow their lead.

He's still a MUCH better coach than Hewitt is, and I know you agree with that. That GW team this season played so well together. Great chemistry for a team with some new parts.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Agreed. Oddly enough he had maybe 2 leftovers from Hobbs at the most...he had two guys leave and it seems like it was addition by subtraction.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agreed. Oddly enough he had maybe 2 leftovers from Hobbs at the most...he had two guys leave and it seems like it was addition by subtraction.
And as I pointed out in a different thread, those two guys who left weren't bad players. Pellam plays a ton for Memphis and will get to face his old team on Friday and Kromah is on the court in many end-of-game situations for UConn.

So not only do they lose two players who are good enough to transfer and contribute for top 20 teams, they also lost an assistant to Georgetown last spring and another assistant in September.

Rumors I heard was that in his first two years, Lonergan was very difficult to play and work for, thus the transfers and coaching changes. Amazing how winning cures all.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And as I pointed out in a different thread, those two guys who left weren't bad players. Pellam plays a ton for Memphis and will get to face his old team on Friday and Kromah is on the court in many end-of-game situations for UConn.

So not only do they lose two players who are good enough to transfer and contribute for top 20 teams, they also lost an assistant to Georgetown last spring and another assistant in September.

Rumors I heard was that in his first two years, Lonergan was very difficult to play and work for, thus the transfers and coaching changes. Amazing how winning cures all.

Yeah I don't think by any stretch they are bad players. They just may have been "bad fits" for whatever reason. Thus the "addition by subtraction" comment.