OT: Belmont

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I always hoped Belmont would get an invite to the A-10.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good for Belmont, but does this make the MVC a 3 bid league annually? They had 10 schools. The revenue they receive from the NCAA was split 10 ways. Adding Belmont brings them to 11, but isnt that a scheduling nightmare? So, they'll have to add another team to get to 12, right? Who would that other team be?
Lets assume each bid is worth $1M to the conference.
2 bids means each of the 10 schools receives $200k.
2 bids now means each of the 12 schools will receive $166K.
3 bids means each of the 12 schools receives $250.
They need 3 bids annually to make this work, IMO. Maybe that happens, but I wouldnt say that is a guarantee.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good for Belmont, but does this make the MVC a 3 bid league annually? They had 10 schools. The revenue they receive from the NCAA was split 10 ways. Adding Belmont brings them to 11, but isnt that a scheduling nightmare? So, they'll have to add another team to get to 12, right? Who would that other team be?
Lets assume each bid is worth $1M to the conference.
2 bids means each of the 10 schools receives $200k.
2 bids now means each of the 12 schools will receive $166K.
3 bids means each of the 12 schools receives $250.
They need 3 bids annually to make this work, IMO. Maybe that happens, but I wouldnt say that is a guarantee.

I don't think Belmont makes them a 3-bid league. I think they stay a 1-2 bid league (they got 2 in 2021, 1 in 2019, 1 in 2018, 1 in 2017), but it does make it more likely they get a second team in (which is probably what they are thinking here).

Let's also keep in mind that a bid is worth more if the team advances (each unit is worth X amount of dollars, a unit being a game played in). So, a deep run from even a single bid (Sweet 16, Elite 8) is worth more than 2 teams who both crash out in the first round. Better competition in conference leads to better seeding, leads to more likelihood to advance, means more money for the conference.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't think Belmont makes them a 3-bid league. I think they stay a 1-2 bid league (they got 2 in 2021, 1 in 2019, 1 in 2018, 1 in 2017), but it does make it more likely they get a second team in (which is probably what they are thinking here).

Let's also keep in mind that a bid is worth more if the team advances (each unit is worth X amount of dollars, a unit being a game played in). So, a deep run from even a single bid (Sweet 16, Elite 8) is worth more than 2 teams who both crash out in the first round. Better competition in conference leads to better seeding, leads to more likelihood to advance, means more money for the conference.
Very well could be a 1 bid league with Porter Mosher leaving Loyola Chicago

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Very well could be a 1 bid league with Porter Mosher leaving Loyola Chicago

Could be, but even Loyola-Chicago has been very up and down since joining (they would have not been in consideration for an at-large in 2020 if the tournament wasn't canceled, in 2019 they were in the NIT but they got an auto-bid after being co-champions with Drake...their NET was 128 -- the whole conference was pretty meh that season).

Losing Wichita State sucked the wind out of that conference's sails. If I were them, I'd fullcourt press trying to peel them back from a dying AAC (what would keep Wichita State there, Memphis? Memphis has got to be looking for an exit ramp too). Getting Belmont and Wichita State would for sure make them a 2-bid league most years, maybe 3 on good ones.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Could be, but even Loyola-Chicago has been very up and down since joining (they would have not been in consideration for an at-large in 2020 if the tournament wasn't canceled, in 2019 they were in the NIT but they got an auto-bid after being co-champions with Drake...their NET was 128 -- the whole conference was pretty meh that season).

Losing Wichita State sucked the wind out of that conference's sails. If I were them, I'd fullcourt press trying to peel them back from a dying AAC (what would keep Wichita State there, Memphis? Memphis has got to be looking for an exit ramp too). Getting Belmont and Wichita State would for sure make them a 2-bid league most years, maybe 3 on good ones.
Memphis is still hoping for the Big 12

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Belmont is okay, but they are not an at-large team most years.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Big 12 presidents don't want anything to do with a lowly ranked school like Memphis.

Edit: WVU is in, so who knows?

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Belmont is okay, but they are not an at-large team most years.

I’m sure Belmont’s calculation is similar to Davidson’s moving up. They’ve been straight dominant in the OVC, but still needed to win the whole conference to actually receive a bid to the NCAA, a stronger conference schedule and maybe their 60th finishes becomes top 50 and they’re in the conversation more often.