Old Friend Visiting..........

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If it was up to me, I'd bump the athletic portion of the student fee $50 a year -- with about 20,000 full-time students, that would generate an extra million bucks that I'd give directly to men's basketball.

And even with a $50 increase, our fees would still be among the lowest in Virginia.

vcu to give basketball $733K more
Updated: May 24, 2011, 6:42 PM ET
Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia Commonwealth University plans to increase student fees so it can give $733,000 more to the basketball program, including for coaches' raises.

Google article to read more.

PLEASE DO NOT POST FULL ARTICLES ON OUR SITE. LINK TO THEM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Guess all you want but you are as wrong on that as you are on the financial of the AD. No one answered the question I posed as to where all the money is you guys think the AD has. Why weren't the baseball fields upgraded? Why did wrestling have to survive on its own? etc etc etc.

But hey...I'll walk it back just for you. I believe (happy?) the AD is having serious money issues. Perhaps not bankrupt (not sure I ever used that term.."broke", yes) but they certainly aren't swimming in the cash you people think they are. Again, instead of arguing with me here...go ask.

Now, if you'll excuse me...I have exams to study for. But feel free to stop by the front desk at the field house if you want to discuss further.

So, I guessed right about you being a student working part-time in the AD! But, no, I won't be discussing the financial position of the AD with you any further. I rather discuss this topic with more knowledgeable AD employees.

Good luck with your exams!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
visit apa.virginia.gov. there you can view the revenue and expense budgets by year for the athletic dept. pay attention to 'non program specific' column.

In 2013, mens bball coaches salaries was 1,365,270. Skeets, houston, kreider prob get 100k each average. the 4th guy probably 50k. so thats 350k plus the Clown's 700k. Guess whats left? If you said incentive money you are correct. In the amount of approx 315k. Its a rough estimate and if you low ball it, there is atleast 200k left over. So like I keep saying, the money is there to fire him after this year. All but 100k was there to fire him last year.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A co-worker who is a JMU grad sent me this:
JMU Sports Blog @JMUsportsblog
The announcement of the JMU & GMU series starting up again would have been better if they also announced extension for Hewitt.
04:51 PM - 08 Dec 14

Was there an announcement???

Brady was quoted at a conference the other day of trying to play in state schools and mentioned ODU didn't work out, but that they'll be playing George Mason starting next year.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So, I guessed right about you being a student working part-time in the AD! But, no, I won't be discussing the financial position of the AD with you any further. I rather discuss this topic with more knowledgeable AD employees.

I think the conversation got off track on degrees of magnitude. No one thinks the AD is flush with cash, nor are they broke.

visit apa.virginia.gov. there you can view the revenue and expense budgets by year for the athletic dept. pay attention to 'non program specific' column.

In 2013, mens bball coaches salaries was 1,365,270. Skeets, houston, kreider prob get 100k each average. the 4th guy probably 50k. so thats 350k plus the Clown's 700k. Guess whats left? If you said incentive money you are correct. In the amount of approx 315k. Its a rough estimate and if you low ball it, there is atleast 200k left over. So like I keep saying, the money is there to fire him after this year. All but 100k was there to fire him last year.

Looking here, I get 957,729 for the staff (Head coach, 3 assistants): http://www.timesdispatch.com/data-c...gain=true&AppKey=f29d1000a780bbbdeb9a4239914b

The 4th guy being the Director of Basketball Ops? He might gets us to a cool 1 mil total, but I think 42K might be more than that job pays, but I could be wrong.

In any case, it is still amazing to spend close to 1 million dollars on the staff. 650K+ to buy out the head man.

Please do. It seems to me you haven't been discussing it with anyone.

variaban

Walk-On
You would be surprised by what an ambitious entry level employee can pick up by catching conversations. ...Or reading quickly and with detail documents that are left around that shouldn't be!

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I doubt these assistant coaches make $100k per year. The $75k range per year is more reasonable. I remember my conversations with Caputo when he was here and he laughed out loud when one of our friends joked that he made 6 figures a year over many beers at Brions one night.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I doubt these assistant coaches make $100k per year. The $75k range per year is more reasonable. I remember my conversations with Caputo when he was here and he laughed out loud when one of our friends joked that he made 6 figures a year over many beers at Brions one night.
RTD Salary DB (2013)

Houston -$126K
Kreider - $85K
Skeeters - $80K

wijg

Starter
Houston was worth every penny. He brought in Copes and his 4ppg and one time I heard him say something during a game. Kreider is a very friendly guy and occasionally Skeeters will clap very hard for the team and yell "c'mon!"
Hugh-Any interest in calculating how much every one of Copes' (did I get the apostrophe right...) points has cost us...