Old Friend Visiting..........

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I believe we might need to cut sports in order to buy out The Thief of Fairfax and to hire a top up-and-coming coach. It was O'Connor who thought having more sports and being mediocre was a better model than going all in on one or two sports. And we all know what a dumbass O'Connor was.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I believe the Athletic Dept would be in a better financial situation if they applied the laws of supply and demand to their ticket pricing strategies.

I don't. If we average 3500 a game at 25 a ticket and cut prices to say, 15 we'd have to average a little over 5,800 to break even.

I recommend that you start your posts with "I believe", rather than try to convince us of your certainty. If so, there should be less confusion regarding your posts.

No thanks. I was right on Arledge last year and no one believed me. I know what I know. There is no confusion. JMU wasn't interested the last time we tried to set something up.

And as far as the AD and money....please tell me where all this cash is lying around. I need a good laugh.....

Pablo

Hall of Famer
No thanks. I was right on Arledge last year and no one believed me. I know what I know. There is no confusion. JMU wasn't interested the last time we tried to set something up.

And as far as the AD and money....please tell me where all this cash is lying around. I need a good laugh.....

Evidently, you are delusional. So, we will agree to disagree.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
http://www.wect.com/story/27578590/uncw-to-eliminate-four-sports-programs

UNCW is cutting four programs to better fund others. It is time we do the same.

The four they are cutting are the four sports we are best at...

They are also adding women's beach volleyball...nice...I didn't even realize that was an NCAA sanctioned sport.

You can't cut wrestling as they apparently pay for themselves at this point.

Cutting baseball and soccer seems ludicrous, same with swimming and diving as we paid millions to have the best swim and diving facility in the state.

That leaves men's and women's volleyball, tennis, golf, and women's lacrosse as possibles. I wouldn't be sorry to see tennis and golf go, to be honest with you. I'm not sure how much either would save, though.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I don't. If we average 3500 a game at 25 a ticket and cut prices to say, 15 we'd have to average a little over 5,800 to break even.

The $25 fee to see a G Mas basketball game is embarassing.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The $25 fee to see a G Mas basketball game is embarassing.

I didn't say it wasn't, but at the same time if no one shows up, how else are we going to keep funding the program? I mean, I guess we cannot...keep prices at $10 a game and lose out on about $900,000 of revenue. I'm sure dropping from $3.1 million a year to $2.2 million would make our A10 conference mates really confident we can turn the program around, wouldn't it?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Home attendance so far this season:

Cornell (opener): 6,007
Princeton: 3,097
Manhattan: 2,773
ODU: 5,022

Average: 4,225

Obviously, the Catawba game will have the lowest home attendance this season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Home attendance so far this season:

Cornell (opener): 6,007
Princeton: 3,097
Manhattan: 2,773
ODU: 5,022

Average: 4,225

Obviously, the Catawba game will have the lowest home attendance this season.

These numbers are about 1,600 per game off of Coach L's last season and about 1,000 per game less than Hewitt's first season.

Also, only 5,000 for ODU is pretty pathetic.

wijg

Starter
I believe the Athletic Dept would be in a better financial situation if they applied the laws of supply and demand to their ticket pricing strategies.
Gemini, I think you don't understand the definition of applying the laws of supply and demand. That implies that they maximize the profit per game. So, by definition if Mason effectively applies the laws of supply and demand, they would have to be in a better financial situation.

What I think you are disagreeing with is fanatic's implied assumption that a better application of those laws would actually reduce ticket prices. Given that we are down to the fairly hard core fans that would come no matter what, the demand is pretty inelastic at this point. It might actually work out that raising prices would increase profit as the number of people that would stop coming is minimal.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We arent hurting for cash. I refuse to believe that after raking in all those ncaa tourney checks. The last one TOC was willing to forfeit to move to A10 one year earlier than we did. 900k per year over a 6 year period is what i think the payments were.

Also i believe they should raise student fees 20 bucks, and call it a day. Thats atleast 400K per year.

Our 2006 run was worth over 600 million.
http://m.bizjournals.com/cincinnati...-despite-ncaa-tournament.html?page=all&r=full

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/19/how-much-is-a-march-madness-bid-worth.aspx

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gemini, I think you don't understand the definition of applying the laws of supply and demand. That implies that they maximize the profit per game. So, by definition if Mason effectively applies the laws of supply and demand, they would have to be in a better financial situation.

What I think you are disagreeing with is fanatic's implied assumption that a better application of those laws would actually reduce ticket prices. Given that we are down to the fairly hard core fans that would come no matter what, the demand is pretty inelastic at this point. It might actually work out that raising prices would increase profit as the number of people that would stop coming is minimal.

Well, isn't that what we've already done? So, I'm thinking Mason has already done what you have suggested they do. And if you think we could raise prices another 15-20 percent and not lose more attendance, I think you'd be very, very wrong about that.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We arent hurting for cash. I refuse to believe that after raking in all those ncaa tourney checks. The last one TOC was willing to forfeit to move to A10 one year earlier than we did. 900k per year over a 6 year period is what i think the payments were.

Also i believe they should raise student fees 20 bucks, and call it a day. Thats atleast 400K per year.

Our 2006 run was worth over 600 million.
http://m.bizjournals.com/cincinnati...-despite-ncaa-tournament.html?page=all&r=full

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/19/how-much-is-a-march-madness-bid-worth.aspx

Been saying for years that they need to jack up the student fees. Mason is such a cheap school compared to other regional universities. $20 is very do-able and would create a nice chunk of change to battle any sports income deficiencies we may have through the years.