Old Friend Visiting..........

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I really can't tell if the assistants are THAT bad or if they are just stuck under the dark cloud that is Hewitt.

Dawgs99

Starter
I really feel like Mike Wells was far and away the best coach Hewitt hired. I also think that after 2 season with Hewitt, Wells saw disaster coming and did the smart thing and got out of town. Wells was the only one of Hewitt's coaches that I ever saw coach during the game/look like he gave a shit.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I really feel like Mike Wells was far and away the best coach Hewitt hired. I also think that after 2 season with Hewitt, Wells saw disaster coming and did the smart thing and got out of town. Wells was the only one of Hewitt's coaches that I ever saw coach during the game/look like he gave a shit.

I agree with you! And, what does it say when a local guy like Scott Lombardi left for the same position at High Point?

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I agree with you! And, what does it say when a local guy like Scott Lombardi left for the same position at High Point?

Speaking of High Point, although they got smoked by Ohio State last night on ESPNU, one of their players, John Brown, impressed me.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Wells went from one sinking ship to another. Stan Heath was dead man walking at USF.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
“He allowed me to do a lot. I was able to learn a lot from a very good recruiter and a very good coach,” Kreider said. “He’s a team winner, he wants to win, he knows how to win and he knows how to build good chemistry.”

baaaahaaaahaaaaaa!!!

I don't know, I don't think Wells was the kind of guy who was particularly good at a place like Mason. Seemed like he kind of had an unrealistic view of what decent talent at this level should look like.
Though he still might have been the best assistant by default.
Hard to tell if these assistants are actually better than they appear, and Hewitt just doesn't listen to them or whatever.
However, I would want my assistants constantly coaching up kids on the bench, like I saw under L, see at GW, see at Duke, etc. I never see that here, and I think it contributes to some of our on court stupidity. Even the obvious needs to be reiterated sometimes...especially to kids.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
“He allowed me to do a lot. I was able to learn a lot from a very good recruiter and a very good coach,” Kreider said. “He’s a team winner, he wants to win, he knows how to win and he knows how to build good chemistry.”

baaaahaaaahaaaaaa!!!

Who is he talking about?

Yeah makes perfect, not like he recruited a final four roster or anything..

Actually, he didn't. Caputo wasn't a coach on staff until the 05-06 season because Coach Courtney left to become an assistant at Providence. Caputo, as the Director of Basketball Ops, would not have been on the road recruiting at all. It's pretty well know that Courtney and Cherry recruited most of the Final Four team.

Caputo would have been violating NCAA rules if he was on the road recruiting prior to 05-06.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We really do need to settle on one derogatory name for Hewitt. We have Bozo the Coach, Paul Blewitt, Program Killer, Program Destroyer, The Wizard of Fairfax, The Thief of Fairfax, Cock Gobbler, and now Hewitt the Clown. And I am sure I am forgetting about 10 other good ones.