(Official) Mrs. Russell Turner Thread

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Since I hate the titles of our coach search threads, I am creating one just for our current #1 target.

Last edited:
OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Some good points from the UC Irvine message board:

I wish I had some insight to share, but I don't. All I can point out is the obvious.

- we don't actually know if RT was even at GMU. All we have is an insubstantiated rumor at this point.

- usually where there is smoke there is fire, so I would guess that he's at least been targeted by GMU if not actually interviewed.

- the A10 actually is a pretty significant step up from the BWC. GMU has about twice UCI bball budget, more fans, a Final Four in 2006, better facilities, etc.

- the Turners are from that area, and it would be nice for them to live close to their parents.

- it probably wouldn't represent a huge financial gain for the Turners, when you take into account everything. RT's salary would go up, but there are costs involved, Liz's job, pensions lost, loss of campus housing at UCI, etc

- you never know if RT's ultimate goal is to be a head coach in the ACC. If he wants to establish that he can recruit that region, then here is a golden opportunity. If he succeeds at rebuiliding GMU then he will have a West Coast success and and an East Coast success on his resume, edtablishing him as a recruiter in two of the biggest bball regions.

- if this is about financial stability, it never hurts to take interviews for other jobs. It helps in negotiating for that next contract, whenever that happens.

- nothing would shock me at this point. I can see very strong reasons for staying or leaving. RT could be serious about staying at UCI and is just flexing his options. He could be very serious about wanting this job because he sees it as a key step forward or because he thinks he's hit the ceiling at UCI, or both. The rumor could be bogus. Any of the above could be the case.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Could RT have been BBB's target all along?

GMUNatsFan

Walk-On
Could RT have been BBB's target all along?

I would guess yes. Flying someone out to tour the campus would indicate an main target. Have not heard of anyone else touring the campus, just contact with agents.

These weeks seem like months however.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Speculation follows: Turner toured the campus on Friday. Visited with his family in Roanoke on Saturday. I assume his wife and kids joined him. Does he go back to Cali to talk to the AD and players and to decide? Or does he stay here IF he is going to accept job and can we expect a press conference today or tomorrow?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Even if Turner or Moten ends up being our guy, I wouldn't expect an announcement today with NCAAT games being played. The way to make a splash is to announce it on the Monday between the Elite 8 and Final 4. Here's hoping we have big news to announce tomorrow.

jmckend1

Starter
Speculation follows: Turner toured the campus on Friday. Visited with his family in Roanoke on Saturday. I assume his wife and kids joined him. Does he go back to Cali to talk to the AD and players and to decide? Or does he stay here IF he is going to accept job and can we expect a press conference today or tomorrow?
I think he would go back to talk with the players before an announcement. I bet he's flying first class, so nobody should feel like the travel is a big burden.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That we upgraded from a hoopty with a picture of an engine under the hood to a up and coming car like a tesla?

My sources tell me Jim Tomsula was at the top of our list until your 49ers swooped in and took him. Back to the drawing board...