NIL Thread

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The point I was trying to make was the ability of a fan/ticket buying public to support any NIL program at a financially meaningful level.

Cooley at Georgetown supposedly makes $6M/year - why doesn't he kick in $500k.

Should a season ticket holder give up there 100 level seats, get 200 level seats and give the difference to NIL?
If a player needs $200k my $25 or purchase of a $25 t-shirt from him is not going to cut it.

I believe most programs will need some individually rich donors or industry captains with the ability to f\legally funnel corporate cash to the players/programs.

or should a person divert their $1000 donation to the university or the bball team to NIL (strictly rhetorical).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The point I was trying to make was the ability of a fan/ticket buying public to support any NIL program at a financially meaningful level.

Cooley at Georgetown supposedly makes $6M/year - why doesn't he kick in $500k.

Should a season ticket holder give up there 100 level seats, get 200 level seats and give the difference to NIL?
If a player needs $200k my $25 or purchase of a $25 t-shirt from him is not going to cut it.

I believe most programs will need some individually rich donors or industry captains with the ability to f\legally funnel corporate cash to the players/programs.

or should a person divert their $1000 donation to the university or the bball team to NIL (strictly rhetorical).

Ah. Got it.

Honestly think as an average fan you should be worrying first about the financial health of the athletic department and contributing to collectives second (sorry Brian). I say this because yeah having money in the collective to give to the players is important for recruiting, it’s more important for the long-term health of the program to have money for charter flights, for analytics, for rehab, for state-of-the-art practice facilities, to buy guarantee games, for money to retain successful coaches, etc.

(an email I got earlier today)

Mason NIL Supporters,

NIL continues to be a critical component to our Men's basketball program. Last year we raised over $50,000 for the Patriot Nation Collective with over 95% of that money going directly to our Men's basketball players. To be competitive in the A-10, we need to significantly increase our NIL efforts.

We're thrilled to share that ATG Title and Vaughn International are now the official title sponsors of the Mason Player's Club. Through their generous support we are able to host a series of great events with the players this season.

We have two tiers of membership. A gold membership which gives you exclusive access to all events for $2,500 and a green membership which provides you access to our upcoming event in late September for $400. More information on both memberships and benefits can be found here: https://patriotnationcollective.com/join

1. Does anyone know anything about ATG Title and Vaughn? I take it we're bringing in companies so it doesn't all fall on Kathy and Chris even though they are our 2 big $$ whales?
2. How does 50,000 compare to other comparable schools?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 10.06.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 10.06.01 PM.png
    751 KB · Views: 209
(an email I got earlier today)

Mason NIL Supporters,

NIL continues to be a critical component to our Men's basketball program. Last year we raised over $50,000 for the Patriot Nation Collective with over 95% of that money going directly to our Men's basketball players. To be competitive in the A-10, we need to significantly increase our NIL efforts.

We're thrilled to share that ATG Title and Vaughn International are now the official title sponsors of the Mason Player's Club. Through their generous support we are able to host a series of great events with the players this season.

We have two tiers of membership. A gold membership which gives you exclusive access to all events for $2,500 and a green membership which provides you access to our upcoming event in late September for $400. More information on both memberships and benefits can be found here: https://patriotnationcollective.com/join

1. Does anyone know anything about ATG Title and Vaughn? I take it we're bringing in companies so it doesn't all fall on Kathy and Chris even though they are our 2 big $$ whales?
2. How does 50,000 compare to other comparable schools?
Yes. Vaughn is John Vaughn former Mason BBall player.

ATG is owned by my good buddy Mo Choumil. He's the CEO of ATG Title company in Fairfax.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Governance_Decision

Media Center 8/31/2022 4:45:00 PM Meghan Durham

Division I board adopts changes to transfer rules​

Student-athletes who transfer will be guaranteed their financial aid at their next school through graduation, the Division I Board of Directors decided Wednesday. T

NCAA rules now will require any school that considers athletics when awarding scholarships to transfer student-athletes to provide that scholarship for the rest of a student's five-year eligibility or until they complete the requirements for their bachelor's degree, unless the student transfers again or engages in professional athletics opportunities.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Just happened to come across this. Gives some detail on how Providence runs their NIL.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If a player transfers the school they leave should get a transfer fee. Like in soccer.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"BRONX, N.Y. – Shannon Lulley, who has served as Fordham's Associate Director of Athletic Development for the past three years, was named the Director of Program Management for the Fordham men's basketball program it was announced today.

In her new position, Lulley will work closely with the head men's basketball coach managing all administrative day-to-day operations. She will also monitor all student-athletes campus activities including housing, athletic scholarships, and financial aid. Lulley will work with the recruiting coordinator on planning official and unofficial visits and communicate and guide student-athletes through Name, Likeness, and Image (NIL) inquiries."

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This is the beginning of a new top tier division. Only about 50 universities will be able to pay this.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A lot of P5 programs already do through their collectives.

I need your definition of "a lot of" as only about 30 Div 1 football teams are profitable and the rest at all divisions lose money and are subsidized by their universities.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I need your definition of "a lot of" as only about 30 Div 1 football teams are profitable and the rest at all divisions lose money and are subsidized by their universities.
I’m well aware of the profitability metrics, but that doesn’t impact my point, which was addressing your question, “Who wants to pay 30k to the bottom of the roster?”

I know for a fact that there is a school in the Big East that guarantees every scholarship Mens Basketball player on their roster a minimum of $50,000 annually. No, the program I’m referring to is not Providence.

Beyond that, I’m not sure people grasp just how much money is flowing in and out of this system. Numbers are quite shocking.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hey guys- just a friendly reminder that for paid articles, you can post a synopsis but we don't want full articles posted on the site. If you want to share privately that is fine. If we see a paid article posted we will delete it.

Any questions just let myself and @HoopsAdmin know.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Patrick Payton (DE for FSU) entered the transfer portal because the collective wouldn't pay his demands. It's just becoming free agency at this point.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m well aware of the profitability metrics, but that doesn’t impact my point, which was addressing your question, “Who wants to pay 30k to the bottom of the roster?”

I know for a fact that there is a school in the Big East that guarantees every scholarship Mens Basketball player on their roster a minimum of $50,000 annually. No, the program I’m referring to is not Providence.

Beyond that, I’m not sure people grasp just how much money is flowing in and out of this system. Numbers are quite shocking.

350+ Division I men' bball teams x 14 scholarship players

All of them get $30k per year?

Then x2 for the Women's team

Villanova, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc is reasonable/ possible

How much NIL money is currently flowing to teams and players ranked 200 to 350?
Can those programs afford another $420k/year to pay players

Those who can wil eventually form their own league/ conference