Nike Pro City (Kenner) League - 2014

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Anyone have any information on any Mason players involved in the Nike Pro City (Kenner) League at McDonough? I've been looking and haven't seen any mention of a schedule or who might be playing. It usually starts in early July.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Many thanks. In the past Higher Level has been the team with the most GMU players on it. Any word on who is participating this year?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I noticed some guys in the RAC yesterday around 4 playing a pick-up game in the Linn gym. Jenkins, in the 3 minutes that I watched, was a BEAST. There were also a couple of lean tall guys I didn't recognize--likely incoming freshman.

Ryan Pearson and I think Reeshad Whack were also there, Ryan on the sideline.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
GW and Gtown boards have updated with roasters, anyone know Masons? Looks like the new NCAA rule is in full effect about max 2 players on each team from 1 school.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I noticed some guys in the RAC yesterday around 4 playing a pick-up game in the Linn gym. Jenkins, in the 3 minutes that I watched, was a BEAST. There were also a couple of lean tall guys I didn't recognize--likely incoming freshman.

Ryan Pearson and I think Reeshad Whack were also there, Ryan on the sideline.

I would love to see Jalen and Pearson go at it

O

OurxNow

Spectator
I watched a few Kenner League games Saturday and observed a player who goes by the name of Vaughn Gray(George Mason). I graduated from GMU in 1990 and love following the basketball team but when I saw Vaughn Gray play Saturday I said to myself this kid is special. The things that he was able to do on the court against a team filled with former high-end D1 players who still have NBA dreams was breath taking. There were a few plays where Vaughn finished at the rack against some very strong/tall players that had the crowd gasping for AIR. If Vaughn Gray doesn't start for this team this year and play a major role in this basketball program I would have to question George Mason(coaching staff) commitment to winning. I'm not hyping Vaughn Gray.....all I can say is check him out at Kenner this summer and see for yourself.

G M U

Starter
I watched VG play on Sunday. He looked good, probably had about 16ish points but he still was prone to turning the ball over.

Tre Porter needs to bulk up.
Shevon moved well for a big man. He will make a difference on D/rebounding immediately.
Copes/Edwards/Royal-no shows

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I watched VG play on Sunday. He looked good, probably had about 16ish points but he still was prone to turning the ball over.

Tre Porter needs to bulk up.
Shevon moved well for a big man. He will make a difference on D/rebounding immediately.
Copes/Edwards/Royal-no shows

Turnover prone? He will fit right in. Start him right away.

To be fair, last year it was Bryon Allen who was getting rave reviews and he had a fantastic season.

I don't think anyone can argue that VG isn't a skilled player, but the knock on him apparently has been his lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball (something he isn't asked to do in a summer league). The question is can he bring intensity and consistency and effort every game? Because if he does, being able to play him at the 3 will completely change the complexion of this years team.

O

OurxNow

Spectator
There is no one on this team that plays D so what's your angle?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There is no one on this team that plays D so what's your angle?

That's not entirely true: Moore, Edwards, Jenkins and Copes (albeit foul prone) are good to great defenders. We also recruited several defensive-minded players in Mayimba, Lockett, and Thompson.

Hewitt is supposed to be a defensive-first coach, but our defense has been woefully bad for much of his tenure mostly due to a lack of effort from our perimeter players and the fact that his system of switching on all screens leads to horrible matchups like a 5'10 Edwards on a 6'8 power forward.

The angle really is that Gray hasn't shown a consistency in his effort so far in the time he has seen the court to warrant any kind of prediction on his senior season. I think we all hope he can play a significant part, because he is the only small forward type on this team who has any kind of experience playing the position at this level.

Temper your expectations in other words.

Is this guy Myles Tate our most overlooked player on the roster? He's a scoring point guard. His bio surely reminds me of another Terry Reynolds.

First Team All-Dulles District final three years…2012 All-Region First Team…2012 Honorable Mention All-State…Two-time Honorable Mention All-Met…Averaged 22 points per game and seven assists per game his senior year…2009 MVP Tip Off Classic Tournament…All-time leading scorer, assist leader and set school’s single-game scoring record.

http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=209280213&Q_SEASON=2014