National Top 25 Rankings for 2015-16 (Way early)

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...s-ridiculously-early-preseason-top-25-and-one

But, for now, here's the 2015-16 Ridiculously Early Preseason Top 25 (and one) ...

1. VIRGINIA

• Notable players definitely gone: Darion Atkins
  • Others expected to leave: None
  • Notable players expected to return: Malcolm Brogdon, Anthony Gill, Justin Anderson, Mike Tobey, London Perrantes, Marial Shayok, Evan Nolte, Devon Hall
  • Others expected to join the roster: Jarred Reuter
Why the Cavaliers are ranked here: Virginia is expected to return eight of the top nine scorers from a team that finished 30-4 and won the ACC regular-season title. Justin Anderson could turn pro, and, if he does, this ranking might change. But, at this point, Virginia is a reasonable pick for the nation's top spot.

2. NORTH CAROLINA

• Notable players definitely gone: None
  • Notable players expected to return: Marcus Paige, Brice Johnson, Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks, J.P. Tokoto, Justin Jackson, Joel Berry, Joel James, Natre Britt, Theo Pinson
  • Others expected to join the roster: Luke Maye
Why the Tar Heels are ranked here: It's possible Brice Johnson will turn pro. But, for now, he's projected as a returning starter, which means UNC is projected to return every relevant player from a team that finished 12th in KenPom's final ratings.

3. KENTUCKY

• Notable players definitely gone: None
  • Others expected to leave: Karl-Anthony Towns, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker, Dakari Johnson, Willie Cauley-Stein
  • Notable players expected to return: Tyler Ulis, Marcus Lee, Alex Poythress, Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins
  • Others expected to join the roster: Skal Labissiere, Isaiah Briscoe, Charles Matthews, Malik Newman
Why the Wildcats are ranked here: There are lots of moving parts with UK, per usual. But, one way or another, it would be foolish to assume John Calipari will have anything other than one of the nation's best rosters even if he loses seven players. For these purposes, Class of 2015 star Malik Newman is projected as a future Wildcat regardless of the fact that A) he's still uncommitted, and B) Mississippi State is a possibility. And even if Newman enrolls elsewhere, the point remains simple. UK will have Tyler Ulis, Alex Poythress, Marcus Lee, Skal Labissiere, Isaiah Briscoe and, almost certainly, some yet-to-be-determiend elite parts, at least. And some combination of Devin Booker, Dakari Johnson and Trey Lyles might return. So Kentucky will be really good again regardless of how the final roster looks.

4. MARYLAND

• Notable players definitely gone: Dez Wells, Evan Smotrycz, Richaud Pack, Jon Graham
  • Notable players expected to return: Melo Trimble, Jake Layman, Dion Wiliey, Jared Nickens, Damonte Dodd, Michal Cekovsky
  • Others expected to join the roster: Diamond Stone, Robert Carter, Jaylen Brantley
Why the Terrapins are ranked here: Maryland has, in the past month, received news that Melo Trimble will return for his sophomore season, and that Diamond Stone will enroll in College Park. So Mark Turgeon is on a roll. He'll have a Final Four-caliber roster.

5. KANSAS

• Notable players definitely gone: Kelly Oubre
  • Others expected to leave: Cliff Alexander
  • Notable players expected to return: Perry Ellis, Frank Mason, Wayne Selden, Jamari Traylor, Brannen Greene, Devonte' Graham, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Landen Lucas
  • Others expected to join the roster: Carlton Bragg
Why the Jayhawks are ranked here: KU's roster will lack starpower. But so many quality pieces from a Big 12 championship team are returning that it would be silly to have Kansas outside of the top five. In other words, yes, the Jayhawks should win a 12th straight league title next season -- unless one of the next two teams listed wins the Big 12 instead.

6. IOWA STATE

• Notable players definitely gone: Bryce Dejean-Jones, Dustin Hogue, Daniel Edozie
  • Notable players expected to return: Georges Niang, Abdel Nader, Monte Morris, Naz Long, Jameel McKay, Matt Thomas
  • Others expected to join the roster: Deonte Burton, Hallice Cooke
Why the Cyclones are ranked here: Fred Hoiberg has turned Iowa State into a consistent winner, and there's no reason to think that'll change next season given that the Cyclones' top three scorers are returning. And that means they'll have a shot at the Big 12 title, assuming their homecourt advantage remains one of the nation's best.

7. OKLAHOMA

• Notable players definitely gone: TaShawn Thomas, Frank Booker
  • Notable players expected to return: Buddy Hield, Isaiah Cousins, Jordan Woodard, Ryan Spangler, Khadeem Lattin, Dinjiyl Walker
  • Others expected to join the roster: Akolda Manyang, Christian James, Rashard Odomes
Why the Sooners are ranked here: This ranking is based on Buddy Hield returning -- although I'm told he's 50-50 on whether to do another year of college or enter the NBA Draft. If Hield declares for early entry, this ranking wll be adjusted.
8. GONZAGA
  • Notable players definitely gone: Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell, Angel Nunez, Byron Wesley
  • Notable players expected to return: Kyle Wiltjer, Przemek Karnowski, Domantas Sabonis, Silas Melson, Kyle Dranginis, Eric McClellan, Josh Perkins
  • Others expected to join the roster: None
Why the Zags are ranked here: Gonzaga should return six of the top nine players from a team that won 35 games and made the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. Kyle Wiltjer will have a strong case to be a preseason First Team All-American.

9. MICHIGAN STATE

• Notable players definitely gone: Travis Trice, Branden Dawson
  • Notable players expected to return: Denzel Valentine, Marvin Clark, Matt Costello, Gavin Schilling, Alvin Ellis, Bryn Forbes, Lourawls Nairn
  • Others expected to join the roster: Eron Harris, Deyonta Davis, Matthew McQuaid, Kyle Ahrens
Why the Spartans are ranked here: The loss of Travis Trice and Branden Dawson will hurt. But the addition of Eron Harris, a West Virginia transfer, should be a big boost.

10. WICHITA STATE

• Notable players definitely gone: Darius Carter, Tekele Cotton
  • Notable players expected to return: Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker, Evan Wessel, Shaquille Morris, Rashard Kelly
  • Others expected to join the roster: Connor Frankamp, Markus McDuffie, Landry Shamet, Eric Hamilton, Tyrone Taylor
Why the Shockers are ranked here: Ron Baker could declare for the NBA Draft, which would drop Wichita State some. But, either way, the Shockers will have Gregg Marshall coaching the team and Fred VanVleet running the team, and that's a nice combination.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/106805/bold-predictions-for-2015-16

The first 16-vs.-1 upset in NCAA tournament history is coming: At some point, it has to happen, right? The NCAA tournament is an equal-opportunity event. The setup allows 68 teams to compete for the national championship. It's a unique situation in sports. It's also the greatest three weeks in sports, one that still lacks a legit David-vs.-Goliath upset involving a No. 1 seed losing to a No. 16 seed. That, however, will change in 2015-16, when it happens for the first time in NCAA tournament history.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I remember when we were the Way Early Top 25. OCM left. Hewitt was hired. Luke left. I always wondered if Luke would have left if Cupato was hired. Would Cupato have been able to win the CAA or get us into the NCAA tourney with all that talent? Could he have been able to build on that early success to becoming a hot young coach?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I remember when we were the Way Early Top 25. OCM left. Hewitt was hired. Luke left. I always wondered if Luke would have left if Cupato was hired. Would Cupato have been able to win the CAA or get us into the NCAA tourney with all that talent? Could he have been able to build on that early success to becoming a hot young coach?

Walter, unfortunately, you will never get the answers you are seeking.

TOC obviously screwed the pooch in the most egregious manner possible. Now all we can do is move forward and erase the last four years of misery from our collective memory banks.

Hopefully Paulsen is the one who gets us back into the top 25 ... the one that counts.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer

And that would have started a domino effect. Lville wouldn't have won the title that year (probably Michigan or Syracuse). We don't go down 32-4. Maybe we win the CAAT that year. We definitely don't lose to NEastern in the CAAT the next year. No Copes, Okoloji, or Royal. Unfortunately no Shevon, either. That's the brightest spot to me over the last 4 years. But the most important person is still here: DOC NIX!

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Walter, unfortunately, you will never get the answers you are seeking.

TOC obviously screwed the pooch in the most egregious manner possible. Now all we can do is move forward and erase the last four years of misery from our collective memory banks.

Hopefully Paulsen is the one who gets us back into the top 25 ... the one that counts.
I know. The future is what is important now.

But with vcu's AD doing what he was supposed to do, hire someone tied to their legendary coach who can keep the recruits and run a system the team is used to, it will always bother me that TOC was such a stupid, arrogant man.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I still believe that 2012 team would have gone approximately 27-4 in the regular season with Coach L, a healthy Luke H, and a smarter, not suspended ACorn.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I think Luke still would've left. Wade should have it pretty easy in terms of keeping that roster together since I don't think any of vcu's returning players has done enough to think they are in a position where they could go and get minutes at a Louisville or a Texas. Keeping the recruits is a whole other matter.

DAK

Preferred Walk-On
I think Luke still would've left. Wade should have it pretty easy in terms of keeping that roster together since I don't think any of vcu's returning players has done enough to think they are in a position where they could go and get minutes at a Louisville or a Texas. Keeping the recruits is a whole other matter.

I agree about Luke leaving. The more time that passes by I think Mason might have just been a stepping stone for him more and more. Just like his prep school. I'm sure Coach L leaving didn't help to keep him here but the kid is a hell of a basketball player and wanted to prove it under the bright lights.

DAK

Preferred Walk-On
I know. The future is what is important now.

But with vcu's AD doing what he was supposed to do, hire someone tied to their legendary coach who can keep the recruits and run a system the team is used to, it will always bother me that TOC was such a stupid, arrogant man.

You have to hand it to vcu. They build on success like champions. They took notes on what NOT to do from us for both the Final 4 and replacing a legend.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
You have to hand it to vcu. They build on success like champions. They took notes on what NOT to do from us for both the Final 4
and replacing a legend.

No doubt. Also, it's no secret that TOC had lots of jealousy/anger from all the attention Larranaga got from the two week run in 2006. He didn't think he got stroked enough for getting G Mas into the tournament which provided the opp.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I agree about Luke leaving. The more time that passes by I think Mason might have just been a stepping stone for him more and more. Just like his prep school. I'm sure Coach L leaving didn't help to keep him here but the kid is a hell of a basketball player and wanted to prove it under the bright lights.

You say "stepping stone" like it's a bad thing. Who here doesn't use our current job as a "stepping stone" to a promotion or to work for another company?

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You say "stepping stone" like it's a bad thing. Who here doesn't use our current job as a "stepping stone" to a promotion or to work for another company?

Exactly, I knew a vcu Phi Beta Gamma graduate who used Arby's as a stepping stone for Chik Fil-A. It's the way of the world.