Name the next head coach (a GMUJim tribute album)

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That might be the only way to remove the curse placed on our school by Coach L to punish TOC. It would also be a way of getting Coach L back for the dedication of Jim Larranaga Court.

It's extra salt in the wound that everybody who flees the program recently is having success. We all know about L in Miami and Hancock at Louisville. Arledge 3-0 at ODU and his team beat LSU last night. Hell, even Okoloji and Eastern Michigan is 3-0. I think it's part of the curse.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It's extra salt in the wound that everybody who flees the program recently is having success. We all know about L in Miami and Hancock at Louisville. Arledge 3-0 at ODU and his team beat LSU last night. Hell, even Okoloji and Eastern Michigan is 3-0. I think it's part of the curse.

Don't forget Rashad Whack, who made the NCAA tournament with Mount St. Mary's as one of their top scorers last season.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
We already had him, but he took his talents to Coral Gables.

Good luck finding another one.

IMO, there are several coaches who I believe are similar to the Coach L that Mason hired in 1997 (I mentioned 2 above). These are mid-major head coaches who are well respected for their leadership and teaching ability, but have not experienced postseason success as a head coach (only as an assistant coach).

They're loyal and represent the school well. They develop not only players, but assistant coaches. They are currently coaching at schools that do not have the resources to achieve sustained postseason success and they're hungry to accomplish this.

DeepValue

Starter
Don't forget Rashad Whack, who made the NCAA tournament with Mount St. Mary's as one of their top scorers last season.

Speaking of which I would gladly take the coach of Mt St Mary's or the coach of their opponent in the tournament last year, Albany. They might not have amazing track records but at least I can tell what they are trying to do with their teams.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
IMO, there are several coaches who I believe are similar to the Coach L that Mason hired in 1997 (I mentioned 2 above). These are mid-major head coaches who are well respected for their leadership and teaching ability, but have not experienced postseason success as a head coach (only as an assistant coach).

They're loyal and represent the school well. They develop not only players, but assistant coaches. They are currently coaching at schools that do not have the resources to achieve sustained postseason success and they're hungry to accomplish this.

Pablo, who are the two coaches you mentioned? I don't see it anywhere in this thread.

Also, my main point was that when you get lucky to find a guy like Larranaga, it's awfully difficult to do it again. That's generally why you move heaven and earth to keep him from leaving for a bottom-tier ACC job.

At least our next coach will have the luxury of picking up the pieces of the program Hewitt destroyed, so he'll be playing with house money for a while.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Speaking of which I would gladly take the coach of Mt St Mary's or the coach of their opponent in the tournament last year, Albany. They might not have amazing track records but at least I can tell what they are trying to do with their teams.

Jamion Christian is one heck of a basketball coach. As much as it pains me to say, we could do a lot worse at this point than hiring a branch of the Shaka Smart coaching tree.

JPgmuswim

Starter
It's sad that 4 games into our new season I am enjoying reading the names in this thread and the possibilities more than anything I expect to see on the court for the rest of the year.
It's like being an Oakland Raiders fan, they haven't won a game yet this season so all their fans have to look forward to is the first pick in the draft and who it's gonna be.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
jay tweet.JPG

GMURaider

Sixth Man
It's sad that 4 games into our new season I am enjoying reading the names in this thread and the possibilities more than anything I expect to see on the court for the rest of the year.
It's like being an Oakland Raiders fan, they haven't won a game yet this season so all their fans have to look forward to is the first pick in the draft and who it's gonna be.
Raiders did win a game.

wijg

Starter
I blame the raiders fans on here that are also Mason fans. You have obviously brought the curse with you

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Yeah, I think the Albany coach's name is Will Brown. He's been there a long time - I'm kind of surprised he's still there. I like him too - sometimes see their game on TV where I live and have seen him coach against Binghamton U. I like him - he gets the most out of what he's got and as you indicated has a plan.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Zach Spiker or Scott Cherry

Alas, I am blind.

Both good choices. Cherry has sentimental ties, but I especially think Spiker is a rising star in the business.

The two most well-known coaches to start out at Army seemed to do OK for themselves. :chuckle:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I don't have a specific name, but get a young up and comer who's been a winner wherever he's been.

I've got one. He's under 40, has been a college assistant, head coach overseas & NBA D-League & Summer League, and NBA assistant. He's learned as a player and assistant under coaches like Jim Larranaga, Steve Donahue, Mike Fratello, Doc Rivers & Brad Stevens.

I'm just not sure we could get him as he's already been on the short list for two NBA head coach openings already.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....ga-three-others-in-search-for-new-head-coach/

[Jay] Larranaga might not be the most familiar name of the group, but he’s is quickly rising up the ranks considering he only retired as a player following the 2008-09 season. The son of current Miami Hurricanes head coach Jim Larranaga spent two solid seasons as a head coach with the NBA Development League’s Erie BayHawks before joining the Boston Celtics’ staff this past season. He did a great job of helping current NBA playersIvan Johnson, Donald Sloan and Garrett Temple take their games to the next level during his two-year stint in the D-League while also leading the team to playoff appearances in both of his seasons.

The 38-year-old Larranaga also coached the Celtics’ Summer League team in July and was thought to be a potential candidate to take over for Doc Rivers before Boston hired Brad Stevens.

It’s apparent that the Sixers are looking to hire a young, development-driven coach that can also relate to their young group of players as Philadelphia builds toward the future. They likely aren’t going to be able to make a bad choice in that regard considering the coaches they’re reportedly considering, but Larranaga should certainly be one of the favorites when considering his past experiences.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If Brad Edwards can land Jay Larranaga as the new coach at mid-season then he will truly earn the title of Big Balls Brad.

KAOriginal

All-American
If Brad Edwards can land Jay Larranaga as the new coach at mid-season then he will truly earn the title of Big Balls Brad.

He doesn't even have to have a hire. I would about contract him for life if HE took over coaching to finish the season just to prove a point.