Men's Soccer

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I wonder how GMU would do in soccer in the current CAA. I imagine A-10 is stronger in soccer and maybe baseball also.

Im pretty sure CAA is better in soccer. JMU, W&M, UNCW, Towson are all pretty strong programs. Outside of St. Louis and maybe vcu there isn’t much going on in the A10.

For instance, in 2019 JMU finished ranked 36th in RPI. The highest ranked A10 team was St. Louis at 60. Currently, JMU is ranked 40th and UNCW is 41st, Drexel is 51st. The highest ranked A10 team is La Salle at 61st.

I think baseball is the same?

There’s a wealth of talent in the DMV, but it doesn’t look like our coach is really recruiting any of it (like half our players are from overseas).

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can someone go to the games and find out what's going on and why they're getting such poor chances on goal?

Saw some poor defending on a corner kick against JMU (giving up a near post header, which is unforgiveable) on a JMU tweet.

Are they lining up in some kind of low block situation (defensive line close to their goal) and hoping for a counter attack and just not having the speed of thought/feet to break out and get good scoring opportunities? Are they trying to play more modern soccer and build out of the back (this is when your central defenders try to play passes into the central midfield or out to the wings on the ground rather than just kicking it downfield) and just can't do it? Are they trying to press the team? Are they sitting back and letting them have the ball?

Whatever is happening, they scored like 4 goals all last season, and it's not looking good so far this season.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Elmer not afraid to schedule the hard opponents. Just need to recruit the top guys.

mason89

Starter
It's nice to have a challenging schedule, but yesterday's game wasn't even competitive despite the final score. Our keeper made some great saves in the first half, otherwise it would have been a blow out. For the most part we looked lost on defense and didn't pass much on offense. Hard to win games that way. I'm hoping this is a matter of growing pains for the team learning a new system.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Final: #16 Saint Louis 4 - George Mason 0

"ST. LOUIS – No. 16 Saint Louis dominated from start to finish in a 4-0 Atlantic 10 Conference victory over George Mason Saturday night in front of a large Hermann Stadium crowd.

The Billikens remain unbeaten on the year at 5-0-3 overall and 2-0 in A-10 play.

A SLU Homecoming and Family Weekend crowd of 4,762 were on hand for the match. That is a top-five crowd in collegiate soccer this season."

"Saint Louis outshot George Mason 25-6. The Billikens put up 16 corner kicks, a season high."

Last edited:

mason89

Starter
That's how it was when I was a student. It also helped that both teams were really good back in the mid to late 80's. I seem to remember pretty good student participation, which was usually non-existent at most things.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's how it was when I was a student. It also helped that both teams were really good back in the mid to late 80's. I seem to remember pretty good student participation, which was usually non-existent at most things.
Including basketball games, in my day.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"FAIRFAX, Va. – The George Mason men's soccer team dropped its non-conference match against American, 1-0, on Tuesday evening at George Mason Stadium in Fairfax, Va.

Mason (1-7-1, 0-2-0 A-10) fell behind American (3-3-2, 1-1-0 Patriot League) early in the first half.

In the sixth minute, Eagles senior forward David Coly scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season, with sophomore midfielder Evan Schweickert picking up the assist, to account for the lone goal of the match.

The Patriots played a man up for the final 13 minutes of the match after a red card was issued to American freshman forward Jerry Zouantcha after a collision with Mason senior defender Jakob Rylander.

With Mason looking for the equalizer, sophomore midfielder Daniel Chica took a shot in the final seconds of regulation, but it went over the crossbar as time expired."

"The Eagles outshot the Patriots 7-5, while the Patriots finished with a 3-2 edge in shots on goal. American finished with 10 corner kicks, while Mason had two corner kicks in the match."

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
They had many chances. Couldn't finish.

Also, they can't seem to control the ball. Lots of turnovers.