Last night...

GMURaider

Sixth Man
1. We don't look like a 19 win team currently.
2. Losing to an Ivy league team that won 2 games is embarrassing
3. Too many missed shots
4. Where was the intensity on rebounding?
5. Where was the coherent plan of attack for offense?
6. Where was the defensive intensity? If we let an Ivy league team do this to us God help us against the A10.

Hewitt is down to his last microfiber of patience with me. And that microfiber is starting to tear...

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
You're being very kind about the 19.

That was my pre-season prediction(as many will say). The bench mark that I set for bringing him back was an NIT bid at the minimum. Unless, we drastically improve I don't think we will hit my benchmark...

At that point it will be up to AD Brad Edwards to make his judgement. He seems like a solid guy who wants us to win.

Last night looked like some of those games from last year's campaign. :vomit:

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
If Hewitt has lost Raider then he has lost everyone.

If Paul Hewitt is not the guy(and unfortunately the trend lines are heading that way :mad:)

We have to make the kind of hire UMass made in 1988. They hired an up and coming assistant coach from the University of Pittsburgh by the name of John Calipari.

He took them from the abyss to #1 in the nation in 8 years. That's what I want for Mason basketball.

We have to potentially find the next John Calipari.

Because right now? We're in Hell Gentlemen. We're in the abyss. Losing to Cornell on opening night and watching their players laugh it up at Brions... If that's not the abyss I don't know WHAT IS.

I don't necessarily know if an interim coach would be a solution but Edwards should definitely take a look at where we are after 5-10 games...

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Happens fast lol. Seems like just yesterday we were all "haters". Welcome lol

Do you think 10 games is a fair benchmark? 5-5 or better? he survives till March with the expectation that it's either NIT or you hit the unemployment line? Worse than 5-5? He gets fired on the plane flying back from Wright State...

How would you judge the interim coach's success in terms of potentially keeping the job?

Patriotfan49

Starter
Do you think 10 games is a fair benchmark? 5-5 or better? he survives till March with the expectation that it's either NIT or you hit the unemployment line? Worse than 5-5? He gets fired on the plane flying back from Wright State...

How would you judge the interim coach's success in terms of potentially keeping the job?

You can be as fair as you want, but at the end of the day I think the proof is in the pudding and it has been there for a while you know? I think you had to give him this time because were not in a position to hire and fire at will and just buyout. But everybody was grasping at some reason that the obvious answer would maybe turn out different. It hasn't.

Personally I fire him after the game last night, but in reality we want a smooth transition so you fire him after this year and do a proper coach search. Gives us the best chance to have a seamless process and keep guys. Plus I have no faith in any of his assistants to be an interim, so may as well ride him till the end. Maybe I'm clueless but I feel we have the talent to compete and be tough, so if we hire the right guy I don't think it would be too far fetched to see a quicker transition.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't know that Id want to hire a guy who leaves the program with vacated seasons and a rack of sanctions.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
I don't know that Id want to hire a guy who leaves the program with vacated seasons and a rack of sanctions.

That was one player who took the money on his own accord.

If you brush that off to the side he took them from the abyss to #1 in the nation through creativity, relentless recruiting and great coaching.

I want a guy who wants us to take us on a similar trajectory(without the asterisk).

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Four years ago we were advancing in the NCAAT and came off a 27 win season. Now we'd be ecstatic just to make the NIT. Man how we've fallen.