Larranaga's incredible class shows again

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That is a great freaking story, and certainly illustrative of the fact that our former coach is indeed a quality human being.

Any similarities to our current coach begin and end there.

YES HE CERTAINLY DIDNT HAVE TO TAKE 10 MINUTES OUT OF HIS DAY TO CALL A DYING MAN. BUT ARENT YOU GLAD MIAMI'S AD AND PR DEPARTMENT CONVINCED HIM IT WAS A GOOD IDEA???

GO f**k YOURSELVES

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I don't know if he's one of the world's better coaches (not bad, of course), but he's surely one of the world's better guys. Really heartwarming story.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...icanes-reaches-dying-former-hurricanes-player

Reminds me of this story of happier times where a hospital visit by Larranaga to a fan plays a role in his decision to turn down Providence to stay at Mason:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/03/AR2008040303579.html

KAOriginal

All-American
If you win games, no one gives a sh*t if you are warm and cuddly like the last coach.

But when the pee wee coaches at half time have better game plans and adjustments than you do....you get raked over the coals....

Harry

Starter
That is a great freaking story, and certainly illustrative of the fact that our former coach is indeed a quality human being.

Any similarities to our current coach begin and end there.
No, our hopefully future former coach also is a quality human being. Unfortunately, that does not always translate into Ws.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
YES HE CERTAINLY DIDNT HAVE TO TAKE 10 MINUTES OUT OF HIS DAY TO CALL A DYING MAN. BUT ARENT YOU GLAD MIAMI'S AD AND PR DEPARTMENT CONVINCED HIM IT WAS A GOOD IDEA???

GO f*ck YOURSELVES

Exactly, they had to tie him to a chair to make call.

I knowz right? Most coaches would have probably done nothing at all. Possibly even asked the hospital to pull the plug.
Glad ESPN got wind somehow of this selfless private phone call that didn't need to even be public knowledge but for some reason, is.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Years ago, my oldest attended one of the Coach L camps and got to be coached by Lamar - great kid then and I'm sure great young man now. He also got to take a picture with some of his other heroes on the team and wanted to send the coach his picture.

I kind of rolled my eyes knowing it'd end up in a trash can somewhere but my wife being the compassionate one helped him print it out and and mail it in with a note. About a week later, we got a hand-written note back from Coach L thanking him for his letter telling him how happy he was that he had a great time and that he had hung his picture up in his office. About 10 years later, we traveled to Atlanta to see the team play GSU and not only did the coaches remember our family, but commented on the photo of our son that Coach L used to have in his office for several years.

I would have sent our other son to Coach L's camp, but sadly he was so severely bitten by a wild basset hound that he's been crippled for life. Those are filthy animals and deserve to be shot on site, along with anyone that owns one.

Years ago, my oldest attended one of the Coach L camps and got to be coached by Lamar - great kid then and I'm sure great young man now. He also got to take a picture with some of his other heroes on the team and wanted to send the coach his picture.

I kind of rolled my eyes knowing it'd end up in a trash can somewhere but my wife being the compassionate one helped him print it out and and mail it in with a note. About a week later, we got a hand-written note back from Coach L thanking him for his letter telling him how happy he was that he had a great time and that he had hung his picture up in his office. About 10 years later, we traveled to Atlanta to see the team play GSU and not only did the coaches remember our family, but commented on the photo of our son that Coach L used to have in his office for several years.

I would have sent our other son to Coach L's camp, but sadly he was so severely bitten by a wild basset hound that he's been crippled for life. Those are filthy animals and deserve to be shot on site, along with anyone that owns one.

Now that's a good story!!!

I skimmed it, but saw it included George Mason and basset hounds, two of my great passions in life!!!

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I have a personal story about the Great Jim Larranaga.

I was a fan of a basketball program that had made two horrible hires. My team was the laughing stock of a laughing stock of a conference. No one had ever heard of the university I graduated from. But then one day a new coach was hired. He was able to win in his second year. And he kept winning until one day he made it all the way to the Final Four. He brought so much publicity to the school that almost everyone has heard of my school these days. But all did not end well. There was a very, very stupid man who took that coach for granted and let him get away. It gets worse . . . this very, very stupid man hired a very, very bad coach (and overpaid for his services). And within three years, we are back to the days of old when my team was a laughing stock. But for that one shinning 14 year period, I cheered for a winning team led by a winning coach who made me proud. True story.

Last edited:
That seems like a story as fictional as Star Trek, but I think it may have actually happened.

I have a Larranaga story. One time I was on the team bus doing radio with the legendary Bill Rohland at ECU.

Larranaga came on the bus, started addressing the team, and then stopped when he saw me and said "what's this retard doing here? Was this cleared through the AD?"

It really hurt my feelings and I found it wildly inappropriate. I vowed right then to punish him on Internet forums for the rest of his days if he ever betrayed the holy trinity of Jollay, O'Connor and Mertens and left George Mason.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is that ecu game on the radio archives? Would love to listen to Jollay call a game.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That seems like a story as fictional as Star Trek, but I think it may have actually happened.

I have a Larranaga story. One time I was on the team bus doing radio with the legendary Bill Rohland at ECU.

Larranaga came on the bus, started addressing the team, and then stopped when he saw me and said "what's this retard doing here? Was this cleared through the AD?"

If that is true then I love Larranaga even more. Great story.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We all have great Coach L stories which demonstrate his incredible class.

2004, I was in the field house, talking to this chick I had my eye on for a while. After talking to her for about 10 minutes, I convinced her to come over to my place later on that night. As I was leaving the field house, I ran into Coach L and he looks at me and says "that's a nice piece of a** you banked there".

After getting over the fact that coach L just saw me run game on a girl, I replied "thanks coach!"
The conversation continued:

Coach L says "Let me give you a little piece of advice"

At this point, I'm thinking that he's going to give me some fatherly advice on women, how to treat them blah blah blah. What I got was even better.

He continued.. "she likes it from the back doggy style while pulling her hair and at the same time a pinky in the stink. Oh and she loves to be called "princess slut". Do that and she'll be putty in your hands"

I replied "so you banged her?"

He replied "I've banged every chick in this building"

I said "What about Mrs. L"

He replies "she was taping the whole thing!"

He could have just let me walk out of there. He didn't know me from Adam. But he took the time to provide me some valuable intel on an incredibly hot chick. We banged like rabbits for 6 months and she talked to her friends about me, telling them what an incredibly awesome lover I was. It led to a two year string of incredibly hot chicks I was banging repeatedly. As I am typing this, I am getting teary eyed........ Just a great great man.