Justyn Fernandez Top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPgmuswim

Starter
I don’t know what entices kids these days. He obviously feels the love from KE, Dinkins was a teammate of his with DC Premier right? Can we get some kids to hang banners around campus welcoming Justyn or something?

He15man

Starter
Woowww...

giphy.gif

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don’t know what entices kids these days. He obviously feels the love from KE, Dinkins was a teammate of his with DC Premier right? Can we get some kids to hang banners around campus welcoming Justyn or something?

Screw the banners... get the Top 5 from each sorority to be his personal chaperones during his trip! If that doesn't work.... who's on standby with a Lexus and duffle bag full of money. And a new John Deere tractor in case his papi likes to farm.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
True enough but they did win back to back national championships in 2006 and 2007, including when they beat us in the semi-finals. Football is #1 but their basketball program is still top notch.

He15man

Starter
Major college football games are an awesome experience and I get the allure, but I would think a basketball player would want to go where basketball is king. That ain’t Florida.
I tend to agree with you, but what might make Florida a bit different in this case isn't just the fact they won in 06 and 07, but the university really does do a pretty good job of catering to most of their sports programs. They're all treated pretty darn good. This is why most of the Olympic swimmers are Gators, or the gymnasts are committed to Florida, or the track and field events are UF (or SEC for that matter), etc. So having said that, I hate to say it... but here's another $85M luxury item we get to compete against as it pertains to Florida for Justyn - Heavener Football Training Center Construction Project.

Yeah, most of this is football oriented, but when you watch that video of the the renderings, you'll see they have lots of "All Athlete" areas included in it... including that big a** pool and lazy river set up. Now, after this weekend watching football and the coeds in sundresses... and getting tours of their basketball facilities (which are damn nice too), and then - no doubt - getting shown what'll be built for athletes to use come Feb 2022... that's going to leave an impression.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is just such a bad take Jim
Why exactly? I never said I thought he would or should pick Mason over Florida, but if it’s a school like Kansas or Villanova where football is all but irrelevant, you are literally the star attraction on campus. Can’t see how that’s a bad thing.

Also there are 6 home football games a year in college. If you’re picking a school for that reason, no wonder 2000 players a year wind up in the effing transfer portal.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I tend to agree with you, but what might make Florida a bit different in this case isn't just the fact they won in 06 and 07, but the university really does do a pretty good job of catering to most of their sports programs. They're all treated pretty darn good. This is why most of the Olympic swimmers are Gators, or the gymnasts are committed to Florida, or the track and field events are UF (or SEC for that matter), etc. So having said that, I hate to say it... but here's another $85M luxury item we get to compete against as it pertains to Florida for Justyn - Heavener Football Training Center Construction Project.

Yeah, most of this is football oriented, but when you watch that video of the the renderings, you'll see they have lots of "All Athlete" areas included in it... including that big a** pool and lazy river set up. Now, after this weekend watching football and the coeds in sundresses... and getting tours of their basketball facilities (which are damn nice too), and then - no doubt - getting shown what'll be built for athletes to use come Feb 2022... that's going to leave an impression.
Sure and if that’s what he’s looking for in a school, Mason will never be able to compete. Everyone realizes that. But regardless of Florida’s back to back titles, their 2 most important sports seasons are football and spring football — basketball is a distant third, just like most SEC schools.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sure and if that’s what he’s looking for in a school, Mason will never be able to compete. Everyone realizes that. But regardless of Florida’s back to back titles, their 2 most important sports seasons are football and spring football — basketball is a distant third, just like most SEC schools.

We get this. But looking at his top 10, there's a whole lot of if we land him it's a massive, massive coup.

If he wants to go to a premier basketball-only conference, he could pick Providence and the Big East.

If he wants to go to a school where basketball is bigger than football and still play in the south, he can pick Tennessee.

If he wants to play in the "best basketball conference in the country" [aka ACC] he can pick Clemson, or Virginia Tech, or Wake Forest, or Boston College, or NC State [and with Clemson and Tech, he also gets the added bonus of some pretty football obsessed students, if that's actually important to him].

Hell, if he wants playing time right away and to showcase what he can do, he can also pick Rhode Island as easily as Mason.

And then there's still Florida hanging out there to be plucked.

A lot of work for KE to do, a LOT of work. But the fact that Fernandez, at least right now, still taking an official to Mason and hasn't committed anywhere, he's got to keep grinding.

ps: That's a lot of ACC schools in his final 10, by the way, just saying...

Last edited:

JPgmuswim

Starter
We get this. But looking at his top 10, there's a whole lot of if we land him it's a massive, massive coup.

If he wants to go to a premier basketball-only conference, he could pick Providence and the Big East.

If he wants to go to a school where basketball is bigger than football and still play in the south, he can pick Tennessee.

If he wants to play in the "best basketball conference in the country" [aka ACC] he can pick Clemson, or Virginia Tech, or Wake Forest, or Boston College, or NC State [and with Clemson and Tech, he also gets the added bonus of some pretty football obsessed students, if that's actually important to him].

Hell, if he wants playing time right away and to showcase what he can do, he can also pick Rhode Island as easily as Mason.

A lot of work for KE to do, a LOT of work. But the fact that he, at least right now, still taking an official to Mason and hasn't committed anywhere, he's got to keep grinding.

There’s something to be said for him coming back for a second official visit after visiting a bunch of other schools.
And if he chooses Mason it’s because he wants to play for KE.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There’s something to be said for him coming back for a second official visit after visiting a bunch of other schools.
And if he chooses Mason it’s because he wants to play for KE.

this is the kicker for me. Whether it means anything in the end, we’ll see. He has 5 officials lined up, and Mason gets a second.

i know I’ll be glued to my phone next weekend trying to hear anything haha.

Literally some guy just got killed in the south when an alligator washed up into his lap from floodwaters. Be dumb to go to Florida.

Providence and Rhodey taxes NIL money at like a 60% clip and Tech has serial killers and most of those other schools are the equivalent of dead end jobs.

I would be shocked if he doesn't ride the KE wave and come to Mason where robots deliver pizzas and shit and chicks get naked at Fats every Tuesday.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

A lot of work for KE to do, a LOT of work. But the fact that Fernandez, at least right now, still taking an official to Mason and hasn't committed anywhere, he's got to keep grinding.

Basketball is NOT bigger at UT than football.

Status
Not open for further replies.