News Jonathan Arledge May Not Return

GMUheckler

Preferred Walk-On
Good reporting GMUjets24 and everyone else is jealous they didn't break the news that Jon is healthy enough to ride a bike.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Thanks to stalker-boy, we now know that Jonathan Arledge's back is healthy enough for him to join Mason's cycling team. Somebody get that kid some EPO, stat!

Or, as it appears to me, Jonathan is just using the stationary bike for low-impact aerobic exercise.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ok, so I have been saying that too many things are going wrong at the same time for it to not be Hewitt's management skills. I have thought from the beginning that Hewitt must have mishandled the JA situation in some manner for him to quit the team. Since this would seem to show his back is good enough to play ball, it would seem to be more smoke that Hewitt's fire is burning this team to the ground.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian, I realize you are trying to be the poster child of discontent here, but how can you not hold a player accountable when he quits on his team? I know it's easy an easy out to blame the coach, but I have no respect for a player who is obviously overplaying an injury to get out of his commitment.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How can you not hold the coach accountable for having a player that wants to overplay a back injury as an excuse to quit the team

Pablo

Hall of Famer
How can you not hold the coach accountable for having a player that wants to overplay a back injury as an excuse to quit the team

Brian,

I don't hold Hewitt accountable for this situation. My guess is that there was an impasse: Hewitt wanted Arledge to continue to get therapy for his back and try to play this season; while Arledge wanted to graduate this school year and complete his eligibility next season.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Good riddance. I don't want quitters on our team. God knows Hewitt is accountable for many of our issues, but I don't put this on him. JA needs to grow up.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Only JA and Hewitt know exactly what transpired to have a key part of this year's senior laden team to want to quit. It is a coaches job to guide the kids on his team. To convince him that he was going to be a star on this team this year to show case his talents. To convince him that a red shirt would be unlikely and his odds of landing at some other school that would be good enough to showcase his talents to scouts would be unlikely.

It is possible that Hewitt handled it the best he could, but is also possible this is just another example things going wrong under Hewitt.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it's a combination of Arledge quitting on the team and something going on in the locker room with either the players or Hewitt, or a combo of both. None of us know the exact truth to what happened, and probably never will. Lets move on.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd be OK with it if it was the coach.

He hasn't done a good job, but I don't see him ever quitting. And I really don't think it's about the money like it was for Mike Shanahan. He's a prideful man, and Im sure he thinks he can turn things around.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
JA is still roommates with some of the players so I doubt it is a locker room issue. I think JA has gotten too big for his jockstrap and thinks he can be the next Luke Hancock and magically make it to the NBA.

In the words of Coach Norman Dale.... my team is on the floor!

polepino

Starter
Not too smart for JA. Tweeting that he was playing pickup hoops. Hurt back? Medical redshirt? Really?
https://twitter.com/jonarledge/status/420967317766701056

I will say that when collegiate atheletes play pick up ball, I don't think they are going full force. Sure there is a potential to hurt yourself even further but theres no way JA would have been going at it like he was in a real D-I game. Maybe the back injury acted up really bad during repeated daily practices and worsend during game time?

I can attest to this fact personally because I happend to be playing pickup ball back in the day, several months after Darren Tarver had his medical condition and had to leave the team. This was at the P.E. building(Jon Linn memorial gym) at the court in the back not the main one where the Vball team played. Anyways, I actually ran a couple of games with Darren on our team, it was totally random too. I didn't know him personally but I did recognize him from working at the Pat Center so it was kind of cool. Anyways, you could tell he wasn't going 100% but him going 50% was light years ahead of anything I was doing or any of the other guys that were playing also. I was also a little concerned because I remember it was a heart condition that stopped him, and I even remember just refrencing it, something like "You ok to play?" and he just was postive and brushed it off with a "yeah i'm good."

Now as far as JA tweeting that, in this day and age with social media, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do considering the public image of him leaving the team due to a medical condition.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
He hasn't done a good job, but I don't see him ever quitting. And I really don't think it's about the money like it was for Mike Shanahan. He's a prideful man, and Im sure he thinks he can turn things around.

I dont think Shanny was in it just for the money, with his stint in Washington it may have cost him a shot in the HOF. Thats a pretty big incentive for an ego maniac like Shanny. At least he can now enjoy his 10k sq foot home in Colorado and bake in his tanning bed all day.

As for this, is it really a shock that JA was going to eventually shoot around or play pick up again this year? That hardly means that he is able to play or would have been able to play. Plus while he still goes to school here, he isnt a member of the team. We should be more worried about the next time J2 decides to dislodge the bottom of the rim with a layup.