Jazz's Will Hardy/Dave Paulsen Connection

He15man

Starter
For as much crap as we give DP for being an unimaginative X's and O's guy, and being relatively sorry on the recruiting trail, it appears he's not the worst judge of talent when it comes to basketball acumen...

Jazz Set to Hire Will Hardy

Will Hardy - Williams College
"Hardy was recruited to Williams by then Eph head coach Dave Paulsen '87 as a forward from Richmond, Va. He played in 80 games for the Ephs in the front court. Hardy's senior year the Ephs went 30-2 under head coach Mike Maker and advanced to the NCAA DIII title game, but fell to Wisconsin-Stevens Point 78-73."

Anyway... thought this was interesting....

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For as much crap as we give DP for being an unimaginative X's and O's guy, and being relatively sorry on the recruiting trail, it appears he's not the worst judge of talent when it comes to basketball acumen...

Jazz Set to Hire Will Hardy

Will Hardy - Williams College
"Hardy was recruited to Williams by then Eph head coach Dave Paulsen '87 as a forward from Richmond, Va. He played in 80 games for the Ephs in the front court. Hardy's senior year the Ephs went 30-2 under head coach Mike Maker and advanced to the NCAA DIII title game, but fell to Wisconsin-Stevens Point 78-73."

Anyway... thought this was interesting....
D3 superstars are Dave's specialty, and he never changed that no matter what level he coached at.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
D3 superstars are Dave's specialty, and he never changed that no matter what level he coached at.
Not to nit pick, but Muscala was likely his most notable player given that he;s now an NBA vet. Bucknell may be at a low level, but it is Div 1.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I could throw 50 darts at any recruiting class and come up with some gems….. and I know just about nothing when it comes to evaluating talent.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day …. And Paulsen also has been right twice in his career: Muscala and Hardy.

Almost every coach who has coached for 30+ years has a couple of NBA level players play for them.

patriotchild

Starter
So just for the sake of it…We cut Dave too soon. He was just about to turn the corner on his decade plan …
Kier ended up playing significant minutes for a really good Arizona team. And could sell his smelly shakers online. Not too shabby

Josh is an all A10 player and our very own Mascala

Miller ended up starting for an elite eight team and getting vastly underpaid.

Koleck played decent and ran point in the Big East but perhaps forgot how to shoot ( a Dave special)

Keep Dave and the JTJ core and we’d have finished just as good as the English y1 and be just about as far from the NCAA as we are now.

Give Dave a decade. CHANGE MY MIND

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So just for the sake of it…We cut Dave too soon. He was just about to turn the corner on his decade plan …
Kier ended up playing significant minutes for a really good Arizona team. And could sell his smelly shakers online. Not too shabby

Koleck played decent and ran point in the Big East but perhaps forgot how to shoot ( a Dave special)

Keep Dave and the JTJ core and we’d have finished just as good as the English y1 and be just about as far from the NCAA as we are now.

You have been sentenced to a tar and feathering and 1 week in vcu's dorm trash room.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

This is funny, although sadly there are folks in the fanbase who think like this.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Your point is kind of moot, in a way. It all started with cutting Hewitt too soon...

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I remember how excited I was when coach Linn landed our first big time recruit. Andre Gaddy. All 7 of us fans would stand up on the fold down risers when he was announced and yell with the PA guy "FROM BROOKLYN NEW YORK!!" Still 8th in career rebounds.
Good times!!

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
When your coach gets fired because you suck and a bunch of the players transfer to other teams and start playing really well that tells you everything you need to know about that coach's ability to do his job.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I remember how excited I was when coach Linn landed our first big time recruit. Andre Gaddy. All 7 of us fans would stand up on the fold down risers when he was announced and yell with the PA guy "FROM BROOKLYN NEW YORK!!" Still 8th in career rebounds.
Good times!!
I met Andre a few years ago. Still lives in NYC. Nice guy.

patriotchild

Starter
When your coach gets fired because you suck and a bunch of the players transfer to other teams and start playing really well that tells you everything you need to know about that coach's ability to do his job.
No way. Just means we didn’t Dave enough time to get the slow motion offense in place and have the guys gel.

Man we were stacked if weren’t for injuries and giving unfilled scholarships to walk ons.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
When you look at the number of transfers that we had move up to BCS conferences, it's hard to make the argument that Paulsen couldn't spot diamonds in the rough. He's got a pretty good track record of that, including our current star and likely A10 Pre-Season POY who was a 2-Star recruit at the time.

And to be fair, Paulsen wasn't a bad coach. He was just average and the fans and administration expected more. Ultimately, he didn't get the program where it needed to be but he did leave it in a better spot than he inherited it.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think Will Hardy was only recruited by DP and maybe played 1 year for him before he left. I could be wrong. I am personally glad DP is at Fordham to show his brilliance and recruiting prowess in the A10 once again. I hope D3 Bowdoin College wakes up every morning wishing they didn't turn him down last year.