Is Mason the William & Mary of the A10?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
In other words, Mason wins conference team championships in several sports (men's soccer, women's indoor track, women's outdoor track, baseball, & men's cross country) of which basketball is not one of them.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
In other words, Mason wins conference team championships in several sports (men's soccer, women's indoor track, women's outdoor track, baseball, & men's cross country) of which basketball is not one of them.

Piling on doesn't help...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My contention with comparing Mason to either W&M or UNCW is Mason actually invests in the basketball team. Hewitt has everything at his disposal to win in the A10 (other than seemingly his own ability to coach), you cannot say the same about Shaver.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think someone else said it on another thread, we are in danger of becoming UNCW. They had a good coach. He wanted to stay. They didn't show him love. He left. They made a horrible hire. Then another horrible hire. And they are on their third coach. And a recent NC sports site said UNCW was the worst D1 basketball program in the state. 18 out of 18.

We aren't their yet but if we don't get the next hire right, we could be soon.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think someone else said it on another thread, we are in danger of becoming UNCW. They had a good coach. He wanted to stay. They didn't show him love. He left. They made a horrible hire. Then another horrible hire. And they are on their third coach. And a recent NC sports site said UNCW was the worst D1 basketball program in the state. 18 out of 18.

We aren't their yet but if we don't get the next hire right, we could be soon.

Again, UNCW basically defunded their basketball team for five years. It's really not the same thing. I mean, Brownell was making less at UNCW than Hewitt is at Mason by about 200,000 a year. They are currently spending about half what we are.

Then there was the APR problem. And transfers and defections that gutted the rosters. It's really not the same thing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Again, UNCW basically defunded their basketball team for five years. It's really not the same thing. I mean, Brownell was making less at UNCW than Hewitt is at Mason by about 200,000 a year. They are currently spending about half what we are.

Then there was the APR problem. And transfers and defections that gutted the rosters. It's really not the same thing.

You have a point about the money, which only makes this Hewitt debacle even more embarrassing.

But the APR problems, transfers and all that other stuff was a direct result of losing Brownell and bringing in clowns like Benny Moss and Buzz Peterson.

Think that can't happen to us? It most certainly can if Edwards screws up the next MBB hire.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But our soccer team had a good year. Oh wait, ....

Considering there was only one senior on the team, I'd say being ranked several times and beating several top 25 teams over the course of the season, finished the season with an RPI of 34 would make for a pretty good year.

wijg

Starter
Considering there was only one senior on the team, I'd say being ranked several times and beating several top 25 teams over the course of the season, finished the season with an RPI of 34 would make for a pretty good year.
I know you get all defensive about soccer, but slow down there. It was definitely a good year for our soccer team. It was a joke. I was pretending that I realized mid post that pointing out how well our soccer team did this year was the epitome of us being the w&m of a10 sports. See the thread title.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I know you get all defensive about soccer, but slow down there. It was definitely a good year for our soccer team. It was a joke. I was pretending that I realized mid post that pointing out how well our soccer team did this year was the epitome of us being the w&m of a10 sports. See the thread title.

Well, unfortunately for us, we don't have football to fall back on as W&M does...

Although, really, you should have gone with cross country. They dominate cross country in the CAA and they're always bringing that up.