IMPORTANT WEEKEND (9/16-9/18)

illayin

Sixth Man
1) Saquan looks like he could be an immediate contributor... showed really good bball IQ at times on both sides. Also had maybe the highlight of the day by making a contested up and under layup showing great body control.

2) Bailey looks like he can create (and make) his own shots. Feels like he and/or Cooper will have to be on the court at all times.

3) Polite was draining 3's all day between the half court drills and full court scrimmage. As someone else mentioned his handles looked tighter as well and his quickness is apparent.

4) Dinkins is great at creating space with the ball in his hands and making guys look bad on D... if he develops a mid-to-long range jumper off the dribble, he could become a top option on offense.

5) Nnaji and Ojiako are very athletic but both need a lot of work. Nnaji's powerful breakaway dunk was another highlight.

6) Fernandez is very quick, fast, and explosive... just that alone will make him a problem on defense for the opposition. I think he could be a 2 blocks, 2 steals per game guy.

I think this has been said before, but I'm not sure we've had this athletic of a team before... should at the least be a very entertaining team at times.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Attachments

• Broduro.jpg
    Broduro.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 243

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Other thoughts and impressions:

Devon Cooper did not participate. He spent time riding the stationary bike on the sidelines. No idea why.

Victor Bailey looked like the real deal. At one point he scored about 10 straight on drives, mid range, and 3's. Hoping for big things from him.

Ronald Polite and Devin Dinkins went head to head, it's going to be an interesting competition. Dinkins played HARDER than I ever saw in high school. A pass first point guard who defensively showed me more than he ever did in high school. Encouraged by what I saw. Polite had his moments and scored off the dribble and 3. He was more secure with the ball than what I have seen in the past.

Singleton was matched up against Fernandez for much of the day. Fernandez was better defensively than I had hoped for. Singleton did not run point and displayed a variety of skills.

Nnaji had one thunderous breakaway dunk but clearly, IMO, needs to develop in the half-court game. Work on your hands young man!

Malik Henry was the player I felt has improved the most on both ends. He had post moves and touch that he has not had the previous two years. He has much to offer this year. I hope all works out medically.

Good intensity overall. We are so much deeper, more skilled, and more athletic than we have ever been. We will get better through practice because we no longer have the likes of Hartwell on the court giving up easy buckets and throwing up bricks.

Free throws need to get better!

Much more to process.

Take it all with a grain or a "lost shaker of salt" because it's day 1. I'm just happy as hell the season is near.

On a personal note. I bid farewell to section 115. I have moved over to 116 in the hopes that the change will in turn change our fortunes.
I just upgraded my seats in 115 was hoping we’d still be in the neighborhood.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Did something happen to Malik at the open practice.

He tweeted “
Thank you Mason Nation for keeping me in your thoughts.
I am doing well. Grateful for all the love and support! ❤️“

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
FWIW I'm back courtside shooting pics and I kept my seats in 115. I'll continue to support the team and will offer up games here for no cost like I did last year to get folks in he house.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For folks who attended did Singleton run point guard today at all? If so, any thoughts? If not, did anyone ask why not?

illayin

Sixth Man
What happened to Henry? Glad he's ok.

He slowly collapsed mid-court during the full court scrimmage. A bunch of players and a trainer helped to carry him off. The trainer was hitting him repeatedly on his side looking like she was trying to awaken him, felt his chest, then asked for another trainer to go get the AED. The trainer ran off hurriedly to go get it and when he came back with it they carried Malik off to the tunnel... no idea what happened after that aside from maybe 20-30 minutes later getting loaded onto the ambulance while sitting up and texting.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He slowly collapsed mid-court during the full court scrimmage. A bunch of players and a trainer helped to carry him off. The trainer was hitting him repeatedly on his side looking like she was trying to awaken him, felt his chest, then asked for another trainer to go get the AED. The trainer ran off hurriedly to go get it and when he came back with it they carried Malik off to the tunnel... no idea what happened after that aside from maybe 20-30 minutes later getting loaded onto the ambulance while sitting up and texting.
Holy shit. Glad he’s ok. Sounds like he had a heart attack.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tweeted, Instagrammed and dropped photos on my photo blog for both practices. Not a Facebooker or Tick Tocker but I did my part. I refrained from recruits because in the past we were told not to photograph and post shots of them so I complied. Very impressed with the list though.

I'll be back at practice on 9/26 and time permitting, will hit a couple before the season opener.

Will likely miss Mason Madness as I take High School Football game pics on Friday nights.

Fun outing, GREAT to be back on a basketball court hearing sneaker squeaks, basketballs bouncing and coaches coaching. Let's go!