IMPORTANT WEEKEND (9/16-9/18)

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Taking pics for both WBB and Men's BB, hoping to get some shots out as practice is going on.

Shameless plugs:
@DMVSportsShots on Twitter and @bill_dc on Instagram and a gallery of pics will be posted here as well

Last edited:

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Vegemite Sandwichs and Fosters all around please. I'll have to call up my old mate Nik Mirich and see if he's available to help with the recruitment.
Fosters actually isn't that popular inside Australia from what I've heard.

illayin

Sixth Man
For those who weren’t there, the practice ended with Malik passing out and getting carried off the court. Good news is that Malik was sitting up and texting when getting loaded into the ambulance. Huge relief to see that. Hope everything is OK with him.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For those who weren’t there, the practice ended with Malik passing out and getting carried off the court. Good news is that Malik was sitting up and texting when getting loaded into the ambulance. Huge relief to see that. Hope everything is OK with him.
Hopefully just dehydrated. Prayers he is ok. Good person.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just got back from the day.

Klarius Amir had lunch at Oh George and was sitting right behind me. The embarrassing part is that he was left alone for about 20 - 25 minutes before family and coaches showed up. Dropped the ball there in my opinion. The good? He participated in huddles and was smiling. I saw him engaging other players throughout. I'll take that as a good thing. The timing may have been perfect in that regard.

As you no doubt know Malik Henry had a medical episode that caused the cancellation of the practice early. I saw him begin to slump at mid court, was caught by teammates and trainers. He was carried to the sideline gurney, 911 was called, and an AED was brought out although to the best of my knowledge was not used. Dehydration? Cardiac? Don't know. I hope that he is well.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just got back from the day.

Klarius Amir had lunch at Oh George and was sitting right behind me. The embarrassing part is that he was left alone for about 20 - 25 minutes before family and coaches showed up. Dropped the ball there in my opinion. The good? He participated in huddles and was smiling. I saw him engaging other players throughout. I'll take that as a good thing. The timing may have been perfect in that regard.

As you no doubt know Malik Henry had a medical episode that caused the cancellation of the practice early. I saw him begin to slump at mid court, was caught by teammates and trainers. He was carried to the sideline gurney, 911 was called, and an AED was brought out although to the best of my knowledge was not used. Dehydration? Cardiac? Don't know. I hope that he is well.
Holy bleep hope all is well with Malik

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update! I was there but couldn't tell what had happened or who the player was that was carried off.

Malik played with a lot of energy throughout, as did the entire team. I wasn't sure of some of the players as the printed program didn't completely match up with the numbers the players were wearing.

Bailey made a number of 3's but I couldn't tell which player was Dinkins (#5 in the program but no player had that number). Besides Polite, there were 2 other Dinkins-size guys that played PG and I assume that one of them was Dinkins. Was Saquaan at practice?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Other thoughts and impressions:

Devon Cooper did not participate. He spent time riding the stationary bike on the sidelines. No idea why.

Victor Bailey looked like the real deal. At one point he scored about 10 straight on drives, mid range, and 3's. Hoping for big things from him.

Ronald Polite and Devin Dinkins went head to head, it's going to be an interesting competition. Dinkins played HARDER than I ever saw in high school. A pass first point guard who defensively showed me more than he ever did in high school. Encouraged by what I saw. Polite had his moments and scored off the dribble and 3. He was more secure with the ball than what I have seen in the past.

Singleton was matched up against Fernandez for much of the day. Fernandez was better defensively than I had hoped for. Singleton did not run point and displayed a variety of skills.

Nnaji had one thunderous breakaway dunk but clearly, IMO, needs to develop in the half-court game. Work on your hands young man!

Malik Henry was the player I felt has improved the most on both ends. He had post moves and touch that he has not had the previous two years. He has much to offer this year. I hope all works out medically.

Good intensity overall. We are so much deeper, more skilled, and more athletic than we have ever been. We will get better through practice because we no longer have the likes of Hartwell on the court giving up easy buckets and throwing up bricks.

Free throws need to get better!

Much more to process.

Take it all with a grain or a "lost shaker of salt" because it's day 1. I'm just happy as hell the season is near.

On a personal note. I bid farewell to section 115. I have moved over to 116 in the hopes that the change will in turn change our fortunes.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Thanks for the update! I was there but couldn't tell what had happened or who the player was that was carried off.

Malik played with a lot of energy throughout, as did the entire team. I wasn't sure of some of the players as the printed program didn't completely match up with the numbers the players were wearing.

Bailey made a number of 3's but I couldn't tell which player was Dinkins (#5 in the program but no player had that number). Besides Polite, there were 2 other Dinkins-size guys that played PG and I assume that one of them was Dinkins. Was Saquaan at practice?
Dinkins was #23 today.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Devon Cooper did not participate. He spent time riding the stationary bike on the sidelines. No idea why.

Victor Bailey looked like the real deal. At one point he scored about 10 straight on drives, mid range, and 3's. Hoping for big things from him.

Ronald Polite and Devin Dinkins went head to head, it's going to be an interesting competition. Dinkins played HARDER than I ever saw in high school. A pass first point guard who defensively showed me more than he ever did in high school. Encouraged by what I saw. Polite had his moments and scored off the dribble and 3. He was more secure with the ball than what I have seen in the past.

Singleton was matched up against Fernandez for much of the day. Fernandez was better defensively than I had hoped for. Singleton did not run point and displayed a variety of skills.

Nnaji had one thunderous breakaway dunk but clearly, IMO, needs to develop in the half-court game. Work on your hands young man!

Malik Henry was the player I felt has improved the most on both ends. He had post moves and touch that he has not had the previous two years. He has much to offer this year. I hope all works out medically.

Good intensity overall. We are so much deeper, more skilled, and more athletic than we have ever been. We will get better through practice because we no longer have the likes of Hartwell on the court giving up easy buckets and throwing up bricks.

Much more to process.

Take it all with a grain or a "lost shaker of salt" because it's day 1. I'm just happy as hell the season is near.

On a personal note. I bid farewell to section 115. I have moved over to 116 in the hopes that the change will in turn change our fortunes.
Thanks for the notes. Please tell me you didn’t move to the other side of 116 closer to 117. I’m sure that usher will still check your ticket closely lol.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My thoughts on the scrimmage - and i could be wrong

1) i would have liked to have had each player introduce himself and tell us about himself - in 1 minute at the start
2) Victor Bailey, JR looked physically small but had a very quick release, and is very fast and quick. If hot, he gets 20 pts./game
3) i did not see a 1st vs 2nd team match up in the scrimmage
4) First official practice starts on Sept 26
5) Missed opportunity to have NIL merchandise for sale
6) Women's team, both coaches and players, ventured into the stands and interacted with the attendees after their session was over
7) At the end of the scrimmage, the Men's team went to the reserved section where all the recruits were sitting and greeted all of them and their families
8) Pace and tempo were emphasized - i suspect we will see a lot of transition offense and a strong 9 man rotation
9) i could see a balanced team with at least 4 players averaging 10 pts per game or higher
10) I believe this team is better than last years team, and will have a better League record than last year's team

I hope Malik is OK

I hope Cooper is OK

Much more to process.

Cooper had a small knock on his ankle, was told just a sprain. Nothing bad, did participate in passing drills, just no running this weekend.