Homecoming - holiday weekend... again

GMUSig03

All-Conference
I was wondering if I was in the minority in this so I figured I'd check with you all. It is so annoying to have homecoming on a holiday weekend, again, as I and most people I know often like to plan trips for those 3 day holiday weekends, especially during ski season.

Do you all generally agree? I can see the argument that it allows out of towners to travel back to campus for the weekend, but I think that is in reality backwards logic, as I don't know that many people who travel to come to homecoming, and the few times I have seen it, it was not on a holiday weekend. I think by doing this you likely lose more locals then you gain from travelers.

And making matters worse, they put it on Valentines day, which I'm sure blocks lots of guys from attending the game.

Luckily, I have an awesome wife and we are trying to save money, so we will be at the homecoming block party, see a couple of you there...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't have Pres Day off either. I do agree with what you are saying though as its not exactly the best weekend to pick. Of course last time there was a game on Valentine's day at home, was the Sherrod buzzer beater game. :D

Maybe the powers that be thought that a game against Richmond would be a better draw than a game against URI? In reality it doesn't really matter, because I would be shocked if Homecoming even sells out.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My company gives Pres Day off, but I assume we are in the minority.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Both of the lawfirms I've worked for give President's day off, and the last three places my wife has worked do as well.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I remember fighting with a girlfriend, on at least two occasions, about wanting to go to an important game (once against vcu, maybe second time vs Drexel or ODU?) on Valentine's Day.

I wonder if this year will smash attendance records for lack of attendance at a home coming game.

KAOriginal

All-American
What helps attendance on Homecoming or Holiday, is a team people care about watching until we surpass that moment when people come out no matter what.

Until that is solved on a regular basis its all moot....

Last edited:

MasonCrew

Starter
My gf would yank my wiener off like it was a carrot in the ground if I went to a basketball game instead of taking her to dinner on V day (not V for Vendetta - that's Nov. 5th).

Also I have to maintain my two and a half year boycott of Mason games which will not end until Hewitt is gone.

Harry

Starter
Due to huge wait times and rushed service, I have never liked going to dinner on Valentine's Day. Having HC on 3 day weekend works for me!

gmubball09

Walk-On
I hate that its on valentines day and a holiday weekend. Work marketing for a baseball team and we have a promotion specifically for valentines day so theres no way I can take the weekend off...again.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Due to huge wait times and rushed service, I have never liked going to dinner on Valentine's Day. Having HC on 3 day weekend works for me!

Made up holiday which I hate. Plot to separate me from my money. My wife thinks it's great though, so I imagine we'll go out after the game.

Please fire Paul Hewitt.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
if you check ticketmaster, most of the seats are gone ... FWIW

I assume there will be a lot of Richmond fans in attendance that will hide a poor showing on our part.

Or Richmond got a large group which in turn means discount.

Davidson probably had 50 fans in attendance tonight, whether they are DC natives or make the drive up is anyone's guess.

patriotchild

Starter
it would help if the alumni association put the right opponent on the homecoming website

upload_2015-1-24_23-23-47.png