Holloway's shooting

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The thread started with the original poster stating that, but most cringed at the suggestion and one suggested the thread be deleted and the original poster be banned for that. There is some debate about if Gregory bad is better than Hewitt bad, but no one is saying they would like Hewitt back. The gist of is that they think Gregory is a better coach, but the hole that Hewitt left them in has hampered his ability to recruit and if he does not turn it around soon, they will have to replace him to shake things up just so recruits might view Gt with some hope.

Sounds like a discussion we'll be having in 3-4 years....

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The thread started with the original poster stating that, but most cringed at the suggestion and one suggested the thread be deleted and the original poster be banned for that. There is some debate about if Gregory bad is better than Hewitt bad, but no one is saying they would like Hewitt back. The gist of is that they think Gregory is a better coach, but the hole that Hewitt left them in has hampered his ability to recruit and if he does not turn it around soon, they will have to replace him to shake things up just so recruits might view Gt with some hope.

I provided the link so that anyone who is interested could see all of the comments and deduce their own conclusion, which I believe that we all are capable of doing.

wijg

Starter
I provided the link so that anyone who is interested could see all of the comments and deduce their own conclusion, which I believe that we all are capable of doing.
Come on Pablo, you really are touchy these days. Please come down off your high horse and be with the rest of us regular folk.

Can't people still go there and read it, come to their own conclusions and disagree with mine? Why not get on Tom? He was the first to summarize it. It was his comment I was responding to. I had just finished reading the thread and disagreed with how his post characterized the thread, so I posted my summary. If you disagree with me, don't be such a baby, just point out what part of my summary you disagree with like I did with Tom. I am sure there are many people on here who won't spend the time to read it. I was trying to help them out.

Why on earth would you post something on a message board and then expect people not to comment on it? Maybe you should have made your intentions clear that you did not want anyone to comment further on it. I am sorry if I broke an unwritten rule that one should not comment on a post by the great and powerful Pablo.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The thread started with the original poster stating that, but most cringed at the suggestion and one suggested the thread be deleted and the original poster be banned for that.

Not to get in the middle of your spat with Pablo, but how exactly did I miss-characterize the thread by stating that it was "funny and sad" that their fans are actually debating it? At no point did I claim or infer that GT fans wanted Hewitt back. Why would they after what he did to their program? I'm sure 99-percent of them are thrilled that he is now our problem.

Other than the idiot that started that thread, I think most of their fans believe that Hewitt deserved to be fired and that Gregory has not been the answer. I just don't see GT as ever being a great program again, some of which is Hewitt's fault and some of which is not.

wijg

Starter
Not to get in the middle of your spat with Pablo, but how exactly did I miss-characterize the thread by stating that it was "funny and sad" that their fans are actually debating it? At no point did I claim or infer that GT fans wanted Hewitt back. Why would they after what he did to their program? I'm sure 99-percent of them are thrilled that he is now our problem.

Other than the idiot that started that thread, I think most of their fans believe that Hewitt deserved to be fired and that Gregory has not been the answer. I just don't see GT as ever being a great program again, some of which is Hewitt's fault and some of which is not.
Tom, I just thought this:

"Haha, that's pretty funny and sad that the thread is actually about some GT fans preferring Hewitt over Gregory. "

Left the wrong impression of the overall thread. I was just expanding on that with my own summary. Be careful, though, you are making conclusions about that thread and Pablo might not approve.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Tom, I just thought this:

"Haha, that's pretty funny and sad that the thread is actually about some GT fans preferring Hewitt over Gregory. "

Left the wrong impression of the overall thread. I was just expanding on that with my own summary. Be careful, though, you are making conclusions about that thread and Pablo might not approve.

I'm sorry about offending you. BTW, IMO, the school that benefited the most by GT firing Hewitt was Dayton.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
No worries, wijg. I just enjoy watching other fan bases suffer like we are this year, so the debate although highly irrational was entertaining to read. I rarely go to the boards of other schools, but nothing beats visiting the vcu boards after a loss. Even though we lose much more than they do nowadays, the satisfaction of watching them melt down for even a night is comforting.

wijg

Starter
No worries, wijg. I just enjoy watching other fan bases suffer like we are this year, so the debate although highly irrational was entertaining to read. I rarely go to the boards of other schools, but nothing beats visiting the vcu boards after a loss. Even though we lose much more than they do nowadays, the satisfaction of watching them melt down for even a night is comforting.
Yeah, it is pretty funny reading vcu boards after they lose. I never used to go to other teams boards. I guess it is part of the state of our program and how slow it is on here at times..

What I wonder, though, is if we were as bad about L after a loss as they are about Smart? Some of them, essentially, lose all confidence in him after a loss or two.

KAOriginal

All-American
I only pulled the specific quotes becuase they described exactly what we have seen in terms of coaching here. The subject of the thread was interesting in terms of "are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" discussion.

It really is a crap shoot in terms of hiring. We very well could hire our next coach and only be slightly better in the end. I do think the margin of error for the next coach in terms of getting some success, is better being in the A10 versus the ACC where you face some of the best of the best programs about every night.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What I wonder, though, is if we were as bad about L after a loss as they are about Smart? Some of them, essentially, lose all confidence in him after a loss or two.

Some of the most vocal Hewitt detractors were just as tough on Coach L, which is why I think Jollay has so much fun picking on the old Cuban man. I think everyone here would rather have Coach L over Hewitt, but some of the revisionist history is kind of funny to read.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I only pulled the specific quotes becuase they described exactly what we have seen in terms of coaching here. The subject of the thread was interesting in terms of "are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" discussion.

It really is a crap shoot in terms of hiring. We very well could hire our next coach and only be slightly better in the end. I do think the margin of error for the next coach in terms of getting some success, is better being in the A10 versus the ACC where you face some of the best of the best programs about every night.

As long as the new coach has a solid plan to build a strong foundation for the teams future. In many ways this is 1995 (whatever year we fired westhead) all over again.

wijg

Starter
It really is a crap shoot in terms of hiring. We very well could hire our next coach and only be slightly better in the end.
Even if we are only slightly better, at least we would better. And hopefully there would be some consistency, and know what our team hangs its hat on so we could see where things were going.

I do think the margin of error for the next coach in terms of getting some success, is better being in the A10 versus the ACC where you face some of the best of the best programs about every night.
I have not thought this through thoroughly, because I am looking for the silver lining...

That being said, I agree with you and will go one further. Being in the A10 is better than being in the CAA and ACC in terms of hiring a new. Being in the A10 brings some reputation as being one of the better basketball conferences so we can get more well known commodities than if we were in the CAA and we don't have the difficulty of being in the same league as Duke and UNC.

I know there are flaws in my logic, but I am refusing to listen to them for the sake of looking only at the bright side