Holloway's shooting

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Holloway has taken over twice as many shots as Moore, in only 23 more minutes played, and is only averaging 2.6 more points a game. That is horribly inefficient.

The other side of the coin is that Holloway is still the 2nd leading scorer on the team and he is obviously capable of getting hot and taking over games as he single handedly brought us half way back from a 20 pt deficit in a few minutes last night.

But something has to change. I don't know what that is, but there should be some millionaires who can figure it out. Thoughts?

I'm also extremely displeased with his lack of passing to create opportunities for teammates.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I'm also extremely displeased with his lack of passing to create opportunities for teammates.

Let's give Patrick some credit for improving in this area during the season with 12 of his 13 assists in the last 8 games:

Cornell - 0
Princeton - 0
WVU - 1
New Mexico - 0
College of Charleston - 0
Manhattan - 0
ODU - 1
UNI - 1
Catawba - 3
Iona - 1
Wright State - 5
Oklahoma - 0
LaSalle - 0
UR - 1

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
He's an extremely undersized one-dimensional player. He is what he is. On a good team, he would be coming off the bench and playing limited minutes to cover for his obvious weaknesses, while providing a 3-pt. threat where he would be able to spot up and not have to create his own shot as he does now with too much regularity.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Let's give Patrick some credit for improving in this area during the season with 12 of his 13 assists in the last 8 games:

Cornell - 0
Princeton - 0
WVU - 1
New Mexico - 0
College of Charleston - 0
Manhattan - 0
ODU - 1
UNI - 1
Catawba - 3
Iona - 1
Wright State - 5
Oklahoma - 0
LaSalle - 0
UR - 1

To me that looks more like the Catawba and Wright State games are aberrations rather than signs of any real improvement. He still has 1 assist in the last 3 games.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
To me that looks more like the Catawba and Wright State games are aberrations rather than signs of any real improvement. He still has 1 assist in the last 3 games.

I wasn't implying that he's John Stockton. But, I believe that he's making more of an effort in this facet of the game.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hard for him to pass when his teammates are either rooted to the floor or executing terrible spacing that brings a second defender to the ball, without creating an angle for a pass. Yes, he should pass more, but that's only one half of the problem.

KAOriginal

All-American
Yep. Bad Coach.

Here's RECENT 2015 quotes on from the GT boards:

"We are playing better basketball than we did under Hewitt. Our defense is outstanding and we have a lot less boneheaded coaching errors. Remember all Hewitt's stupid timeouts, and our comical inbounding failures? We still do stupid stuff but it is much reduced. Just can't shoot! If we had better shooters everything would be fine."

"No way I'd want Hewitt back. The off court crap, lack of schemes on offense and inbounding, and the arrogant attitude were enough for me to never want to see our program like that again."

"The GT basketball program has quite a dilemma on its hands. Hewitt could get players to come to GT, but had a gross inability to game plan (X and O) and motivate....(goes on to compare Gregory as the exact opposite despite him not doing so well....)"

Nothings changed apparently......

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep. Bad Coach.

"We are playing better basketball than we did under Hewitt. Our defense is outstanding and we have a lot less boneheaded coaching errors. Remember all Hewitt's stupid timeouts, and our comical inbounding failures? We still do stupid stuff but it is much reduced. Just can't shoot! If we had better shooters everything would be fine."

"No way I'd want Hewitt back. The off court crap, lack of schemes on offense and inbounding, and the arrogant attitude were enough for me to never want to see our program like that again."

"The GT basketball program has quite a dilemma on its hands. Hewitt could get players to come to GT, but had a gross inability to game plan (X and O) and motivate."

Oh My God. Someone please send this link to Brad Edwards. This is really depressing.

KAOriginal

All-American
Oh My God. Someone please send this link to Brad Edwards. This is really depressing.

Yep. Why I wont totally throw players under the bus in this case.

The historical record is there that what we see is the norm from this coach.

Why I have cautioned many on here about the concept "if we win some games, let's talk about keeping him."

DANGEROUS.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Yep. Bad Coach.

"The GT basketball program has quite a dilemma on its hands. Hewitt could get players to come to GT, but had a gross inability to game plan (X and O) and motivate....(goes on to compare Gregory as the exact opposite despite him not doing so well....)"

Yet another sobering lesson from this is the difficulty in finding a coach who will prove successful. Brian Gregory won almost 2/3 of the games when he coached at Dayton--3 NITs and 1 NCAA tournaments in his last 4 years there.

He's now in his 4th yr at Ga Tech and has a below .500 overall record and has yet to win more than 1/3 of the conference games that they've played. Rpiforecast projects them to go 6-12 in the ACC this year as well.

This doesn't mean that a coach who isn't a good match for the program should be retained. But there's no certainty that the next guy will be any better.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
This doesn't mean that a coach who isn't a good match for the program should be retained. But there's no certainty that the next guy will be any better.

Devil's Advocate: Can it get worse than losing the play-in game? Well, technically it can get worse, but it can always get worse, but you know what I mean.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Yep. Bad Coach.

In all fairness, here is the link for the thread:
http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81874&page=5.

I think he has seen some version of a light in recent games. It looks like he is trying on defense.
It's a cop out to blame his shooting struggles on Hewitt as well. Just generally hasn't been hitting.
Again, I think more of it had to do with being our so-called #1 option to start the year. Guy just shouldn't be that (nor should most players) but if he let's the game come to him and our ball movement is good no reason he shouldn't launch it every time he's open.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In all fairness, here is the link for the thread:
http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81874&page=5.

Haha, that's pretty funny and sad that the thread is actually about some GT fans preferring Hewitt over Gregory. I really thought Gregory was a great hire there, but he really hasn't done anything to show he can win consistently.

Firing Hewitt was a no-brainer for Tech despite his huge salary, but that job obviously wasn't the victory gold mine many people thought. The Yellow Jackets are like the Drexel of the ACC these days. Good enough to win games here and there but not good enough to win on the grandest of stages.

wijg

Starter
Haha, that's pretty funny and sad that the thread is actually about some GT fans preferring Hewitt over Gregory. I really thought Gregory was a great hire there, but he really hasn't done anything to show he can win consistently.

Firing Hewitt was a no-brainer for Tech despite his huge salary, but that job obviously wasn't the victory gold mine many people thought. The Yellow Jackets are like the Drexel of the ACC these days. Good enough to win games here and there but not good enough to win on the grandest of stages.
The thread started with the original poster stating that, but most cringed at the suggestion and one suggested the thread be deleted and the original poster be banned for that. There is some debate about if Gregory bad is better than Hewitt bad, but no one is saying they would like Hewitt back. The gist of is that they think Gregory is a better coach, but the hole that Hewitt left them in has hampered his ability to recruit and if he does not turn it around soon, they will have to replace him to shake things up just so recruits might view Gt with some hope.