HireCaputo

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Not totally sold, but better than current one in place.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Who is your guy PMP?

It's a tough job, but I would make a call to Mike Lonergan to gauge his interest. I think he is pissed and if he wants to get back in, would be motivated to do a great job.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's a tough job, but I would make a call to Mike Lonergan to gauge his interest. I think he is pissed and if he wants to get back in, would be motivated to do a great job.

Really? That's the best you got?

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Really? That's the best you got?

Again, it's a tough job. You'd like to find someone with experience/success and something to prove, an edge. This isn't a great job as the program is currently constructed/supported. You gotta be realistic or at least I think you do. We can all agree the current HC is out of his league and it's not even that great a league. It's quite possible that Lonergan would be looking for something a little higher if he comes back...

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I am interested to see how the Jeff Capel experiment goes in Pitt. If he does well in his 2nd season with Pitt, I would like to see Mason go after an Assistant who worked with great coaches. I suggest Jason Williford from UVA. good coaching tree, and knows the VA recruiting trails.

Generally I am not interested in retreads, but Kevin Stallings is most likely looking for a job. He has been pretty successful everywhere he has been except Pitt.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I am interested to see how the Jeff Capel experiment goes in Pitt. If he does well in his 2nd season with Pitt, I would like to see Mason go after an Assistant who worked with great coaches.

Generally I am not interested in retreads, but Kevin Stallings is most likely looking for a job. He has been pretty successful everywhere he has been except Pitt.

Both interesting options, I'm just not sure G Mas has the pull for guys of that "level".

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Both interesting options, I'm just not sure G Mas has the pull for guys of that "level".
Unfortunately you are most likely right. But I would imagine hiring an assistant is cheaper than Paul Hewitt. In addition, Stallings is jobless at the moment, so he would probably come in cheaper than Hewitt as well.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wiliford would be good. No stallings though.

Lonergan would be interesting.

If it’s brad making another hire I could see him going for a Wiliford or Lonergan. Caputo probably wouldn’t come back.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Somebody is going to give Lonergan a shot because he got a raw deal, and that team is going to be very happy. Not saying it should be us because I still think Dave has earned more time, but Lonergan can flat out coach.

Last edited:
rumor is...that Caputo is making some serious in-roads to become the next GW Head Coach. could happen in a few weeks. That's almost as good as Bryce Harper flipping the bird to the Nats?

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
If Paulsen isn’t the guy, not sure why Lonergan would be. Their coaching backgrounds are very similar.

Well, when given the opportunity to coach in the A10, Paulsen has improved George Mason to the point where we don't suck anymore. No NCAA/NIT tournaments.

Lonergan in his first 5 years in the A10 at GW went to an NCAA tournament, two NIT's (winning one of them), and a national top 25 ranking.

Yes, they're coaching backgrounds were similar - but Lonergan did a lot more once he arrived in the A10.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If the Koch brothers simply donated the money that falls out of their pockets and found in their couch cushions on a yearly basis, we would have enough money to resurrect Red Aurebach from the afterlife and hire him.

They turned Wichita State into a perennial power. But given the stories GMU Brian and other personal stories I have heard about our Athletic Department, it’s not hard to believe they haven’t even considered broaching that topic. It probably would have taken 10 levels of red tape just to approve a conversation.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I am interested to see how the Jeff Capel experiment goes in Pitt. If he does well in his 2nd season with Pitt, I would like to see Mason go after an Assistant who worked with great coaches. I suggest Jason Williford from UVA. good coaching tree, and knows the VA recruiting trails.

Everyone is a risk. I was a big LaVall Jordan fan because I really like the way Michigan plays and wanted him to come to Mason, and he flames out at Milwaukee.

He’s not doing much at Butler right now either.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Well, when given the opportunity to coach in the A10, Paulsen has improved George Mason to the point where we don't suck anymore. No NCAA/NIT tournaments.

Lonergan in his first 5 years in the A10 at GW went to an NCAA tournament, two NIT's (winning one of them), and a national top 25 ranking.

Yes, they're coaching backgrounds were similar - but Lonergan did a lot more once he arrived in the A10.

Never said Lonergan isn’t a good coach.