Hewitt on the Mike and Mike show at 8 AM

masonjoe

Starter
You would think someone like Dianna Russini who graduated from Mason would make an exception from time to time.

What do you expect them to ask? You realize their job is often to build relationships with these coaches, not ask them questions that an average donk fan would.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love how you act like you know the inner workings of the A.D. How do you know the money is there for a buy out? Did you ask TOC? Also tired of hearing the Cabrerra doesn't know athletics arguement as to why he might shy away from a touh decision. Cabrera was in office for a short time before he green lit the move to the A10, why would he shy away from canning a coach who is slowly destroying Mason's marquee sport? Also, theres no chance Hewitt is here for 5 more years unless we go dancing.....book it. Your doom and gloom schtick is really growing tiresome.
I honestly don't know the answer and I don't think anyone else does, but the key question is how much does El Presidente care about Mason's marquee sport? My hope and gut says he cares a lot, but we just don't know.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What do you expect them to ask? You realize their job is often to build relationships with these coaches, not ask them questions that an average donk fan would.
Can easily be done without a confrontation..."Coach, any thought give to doing such and such." "Coach what are your thoughts on..."

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
winning solves everything.

I have been in DC for a long time, the sports coverage in this area has gone downhill. I subscribe to The Washington Post, and it seems they cover the "flavor of the week" when it comes to the college sports.

Winning or losing shouldn't matter. DC is a major market, cover it like one.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I have been in DC for a long time, the sports coverage in this area has gone downhill. I subscribe to The Washington Post, and it seems they cover the "flavor of the week" when it comes to the college sports.

Winning or losing shouldn't matter. DC is a major market, cover it like one.

Newspapers, including the Post, are hurting--cutting back staff. Not enough sports reporters to cover all the local Div 1 programs. Maryland and Georgetown, with a much larger fanbase HAS to be covered. With GW having a good year and Mason not, we only get coverage when either we play GW or a ranked team (e,g, SLU) comes to the Patriot Center.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I love how you act like you know the inner workings of the A.D. How do you know the money is there for a buy out? Did you ask TOC? Also tired of hearing the Cabrerra doesn't know athletics arguement as to why he might shy away from a touh decision. Cabrera was in office for a short time before he green lit the move to the A10, why would he shy away from canning a coach who is slowly destroying Mason's marquee sport? Also, theres no chance Hewitt is here for 5 more years unless we go dancing.....book it. Your doom and gloom schtick is really growing tiresome.

Dawg,
You are right. Cabrera might show us his inner Matador. As for TOC, he knows I know he's got alot of cash under those bleachers. But one can look themselves at hewitts pay which can be found here: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog...paring-deals-mason-gave-hewitt-and-larranaga/)

In addition to base salary, you will see his incentive pay. Those incentives, other than Longevity ($85K) and one Win Bonus ($25k) have not been met. There's alot of money there that the school has to budget for "in case" we have over a 3.2 team gpa and/or make the post season Ncaa or NIT. Looks like a Final Four run by Hewitt would net him $275k. The school has to budget for that does it not? Not doing so would be irresponsible and how down to the penny Mason is, I'm going to assume they budget all the incentives, down to the penny. Multiply just that 275k times 3 years equals 825k.

Another reason I think we have the money is b/c we were willing to leave 900k from the CAA, on the table and go to the A10 a year before we actually did. If TOC wanted to do that, then he's got more money than we think. Besides, where did the all the Final Four installments go? Did they build a new baseball stadium that nobody has seen? And where did all the forfited installments vcu made the CAA go? Remember the CAA changed the percentages after vcu left. Mason stayed and filled their pockets, then left the following year. All new revenue.

These two reasons above are why we have the money to fire him.

Other than being the first to hate this hire, I'm not claiming I know much.

masonjoe

Starter

Really? I see consistent coverage of Maryland and Georgetown hoops in the WaPo

mason2k1

Starter
Since when has VT been relevant? Most overhyped football program in the country -- tops even the Big 10.
I agree.
However, it's also about supply and demand.
75% of my coworkers are VT grads.
There's going to be a similar ration at most professional business's around the metro area, especially engineering and defense contractors.
>75% of my neighbors have VT flags, mailboxes, license plates and sprinklers.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Long story short, I believe that Hewitt is a very smart man and knows a lot about basketball. But based on how long it has taken many of his teams (both at GT and Mason) to get on the same page and start playing any semblance of cohesive basketball, I have to conclude he just isn't very good at conveying his knowledge in a clear, understandable way to young men of varying skill levels.

I think it's much simpler than that: his players don't trust him. They hear him, they are capable of understanding it, but they tune it out because they don't trust him professionally and many probably don't trust him personally. If you were a 2nd semester junior and you've racked up DNPs in at least half of the last 10-12 games, would you trust him? I'd be livid if I was burning my jr year eligibility on the bench. We have that times 3. Good on those guys for not chucking their jersey at Hewitt and hitting the bricks.

It's obvious Arledge didn't trust him. Sherrod? The odd comments over the past couple of years, such as his "Wright was beginning to understand what it takes" before this season makes me wonder if the two of them have ever seen eye-to-eye. BA is thriving, but 13-14 months ago, he was logging 15-18 mins a game as the backup PG. J2? I'd be a little annoyed that Copes plays more minutes than me, when I've generally played better. Maybe some of them are all-in on Hewitt and I'm misreading it, but it certainly seems that we have some definite player-coach issues, especially with our juniors and seniors.