Hate ....

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I hate we have four different logos in use (the two GM's, the full logo and the star logo). A school like ours needs to pick one logo and move forward.

I hate we use various shades of green. The green we have on our uniforms is darker than the paint on the court or the green used on the website. Again, we need some consistency in our branding.
I hate that the style guide from 2017 ( the last one I could find) has the two GM logos on it.

I hate that I like the newer one better, but I can't see Skip ever making the switch.

Mason Style Guide.png

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate that I had to fly 4,000 miles to go to the bookstore to find a simple hat with the GM logo on it instead of being able to just buy it online even though the bookstore had like 10+ on the rack
CSnU-l9H7CzVEiszn8zl_PgseGdsluAx6xcpq07uuQoGK-x9jciLiI5IQD0Gv_RooYZP-usP_idnWRFRr-GY-LjJOtG6IB4vBg3JigOw1zRGQyIlYq1Oi5DHVHU6CzX3ysjV-8E23D15hnUUvb6YOsmNN6KAMpscOdw36K7IeZKdfiFoyVyL_8lDbSvZt-2Bj2bvl96384OYbrt1KMMkTT4qBoWwVMjwI2IEnwOxVndsU-AoNLvYvPYyr3Cy_IM9uTSvZNaPITyGirL5dW9mf_xQka0fGIQkzxXJFnMyjJrEtqQ_KTJ3kT4jzDlOktyTYY_ekCAy_0GOP7XNWZWL63vpsJJS5WwgwDEWH-My2qAoddp8cT9pkBan-hTYZgJ1fmfWAnKvK6F6a1bMd418X4N-dM-xLkztOO6PmZGLaLy1bDITGmJrV4SUsjbOlpLf5-dXj7FPpJHD3JDryFuFr3OF9ksc_ZVpSUe-ZYqiHBseZJcuidagK9FkZAYSNHdcLd7LhMTLJqifx46jMK6r8XuZ8i22ZbJUaw8cMRn95kD6eoxxYhfz8IAsI7DkLnFYGy4UyX-ibTkR_21b2XofiF6uxftyTWwbtv0Y3F5xLuHr_GjP3GaOOsA3ikMB0wodr-mnmyKs6xRyIQqfiuCSBA9vQQGDG2lvxk8vRAU2aY_IPdi7SSyNAbCtOXF5x-DfUzNAmvNq1MGfbmJt4e8f63yF=w508-h902-no

I also hate that we can't all agree that the GM logo is better. Even my wife remarked during the game when she saw the coaching team's zip ups that the GM logo should be the primary and the star secondary.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hate that the style guide from 2017 ( the last one I could find) has the two GM logos on it.

I hate that I like the newer one better, but I can't see Skip ever making the switch.

View attachment 1261
I hate I was wrong, we have 9, not 4, different athletic images/logos that are for official use. I like the GM (items 16-21). Use that exclusively and ditch the rest. I bet Skip would switch if it meant he could get new uniforms.

I hate our pantone colors are too light. Match Oakland/Vegas (I think having the A's in Vegas would be great). BTW, I'm not an A's fan at all, but their color scheme is relevant for this discussion.

I hate the M logo as part of the institutional marks (29-34). My daughters are in college search mode and we get a lot of mail. If that M showed up on a piece of mail, they'd not know who it was from. 39-51 work just fine.

Attachments

• Oakland As.jpg
    Oakland As.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Oakland Pantone.png
    Oakland Pantone.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 314
OP
Old Man

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate that Zack Bolno (Deputy AD, External Operations) and EBA security tried to kick superfan Trevor out of his front row general admission seat during the National Anthem at homecoming so that a late recruit's family member could steal his seat.
I hate to pile on, but someone needs to tell Bolno that you just can't tell people to sit wherever he sees open seats.

Apparently, Bolno told a bunch of students, as they claimed to me, to sit in my and the surrounding seats. So I get down to my seats after being in the Gold Room, about 10 minutes before the game started, and my 3 seats were filled with students and so were the surrounding seats. I'm like a'hem, those are my seats. They're response was, "Well, that guy told us to sit here," and they pointed to Bolno (hard to tell exactly if it was him because of the mask). They moved from 2 of my 3 seats but just filled up other seats I know they didn't buy. (I didn't feel like fighting over the third seat.)

Bolno can't tell people/students to sit in non general admission seats; he should know better than that. During the whole first half, I'm the bad guy to these kids because I wanted the seats I bought, even if I wasn't going to use them all. Funny thing, though, when I got back after half time, the students were all gone and most of the seats were filled with non students.

Now, I get moving to better available seats. I've done it myself, but you wait for the game to start so you know what's available. But that's not what happened. A Mason staff person told them to sit in my seats before the game even started, and that is wrong.

I hate this whole thing.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to play a little devil's advocate here... Could it be that Zack/other AD staff are just trying to manage and improve the game experience a bit? Filling empty spaces with bodies so that things look better on TV is something we all wished they would have done in previous years. So, it was a busy, loud game, and the wrong seats were chosen - it was still a good idea. If they were my seats, I'd shrug this off and understand the good intentions, and perhaps nicely mention to Zack/AD staff to remind themselves where season ticket seats are so that this can be avoided in the future.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hate that I see Zach's side of it. Some of the best seats in the house are NEVER occupied but are also not up for sale (we've asked). Every single game we've got a half dozen front row seats at the 50 yard line that haven't been used in years. If the AD wants to say F it and have people fill in the lower bowl to give us a better crowd I'm all about it.

I hate that Old Man went through that but I hope you understand it's for the greater good.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate that I see Zach's side of it. Some of the best seats in the house are NEVER occupied but are also not up for sale (we've asked). Every single game we've got a half dozen front row seats at the 50 yard line that haven't been used in years. If the AD wants to say F it and have people fill in the lower bowl to give us a better crowd I'm all about it.

I hate that Old Man went through that but I hope you understand it's for the greater good.

I hate that the last time I went to a game (after I moved so I was no longer a season ticket holder) I tried to buy a single game ticket as close as possible at mid court and the best they could do was a seat 8 rows back basically even with the baseline. This was Paulsen era early season so you KNOW those primo midcourt seats were just open and empty. I was prepared to pay $50+ for each one since it was going to be my only game of the season but they told me the only way to get there was to buy a mini plan and make a huge donation to the Patriot Club.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I hate that you're a basketball guy and used "50 yard line" to describe half court..SMH.

I think it's fine to allow people to move down into those seats after tipoff so you know relatively what seats are going to be empty.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hate vcu was disrespected because we scheduled them for homecoming. We've been doing homecoming in Feb for over a decade now (more on that later), so its always going to be a conference game. Its not like in football where we can schedule a non-conference game of our choosing for homecoming. Yes, the conference knows we need a home game in Feb on a Saturday at 4pm, but we are not able to hand select the date and our opponent. If we were, why wouldn't we pick this coming weekend? Monday is a holiday and would allow more flexibility for alums who want to travel back for the game.

I hate we haven't tested a fall homecoming. Our typical schedule has been to start the first Tuesday in November and play another game on that Friday. Move the Friday game to Saturday. A lot of positives by doing this:
1. Most homecomings are in the fall. While November 13 is a bit later than schools who hold them in October, it still provides that homecoming-in-the-fall experience.
2. We had great weather on Saturday but that hasn't always been the case. The avg high temp for Fairfax in Nov is 56 degrees; its 45 degrees in Feb. That doesnt mean we don't get cold days in Nov or warm days in Feb, but odds are we get better weather in Nov.
3. Homecoming attracts fans that don't typically come to games regularly; a lot of them living in the area. But if you came on Saturday and had a good time (regardless of how bad we played), you have exactly 2 more home games this season to come back for a game. If homecoming was game in November, you'd have 13 more games this season to buy a ticket. I was never good in math, but 13 is better than 2.
4. We can pick our opponent. I won't re-hash 20 pages of the vcu game thread, but it sucked losing on homecoming.

Having it in the fall isnt perfect, but I think the pros out weigh the cons.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hate the university seal. It says 1957 on it. I've long argued that George Mason University was "born" in 1972, not 1957. The school is correctly celebrating the 50th anniversary in 2022. There are banners around campus, EBA has signage about it and the team wore a 50th anniversary patch at Homecoming. The US declared our independence in 1776; we don't use 1492 or some other year as the birth of our nation. Same with GMU, we became independent of UVA in 1972, not 1957. Its time we right this wrong. And while we are at it, lets change some logos.... ;)

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate Sunday games. I haven't checked on this for a while, but Sunday used to be our worst day winning percentage-wise by a wide margin since at least the start of the Coach L era, and I imagine that's still true.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I hate that the last email I received from the athletic department says that our game against GW is Saturday the 27th when in fact the game is SUNDAY the 27th.