Hate ....

NewPatriot

Starter
I have come to hate vcu fans. They are the biggest set entitled, ungrateful, arrogant, elitist bunch of d-che bags in all of college basketball.

My only wish for next is Skinn's Patriots is to wipe the floor with the Rams next January.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have come to hate vcu fans. They are the biggest set entitled, ungrateful, arrogant, elitist bunch of d-che bags in all of college basketball.

My only wish for next is Skinn's Patriots is to wipe the floor with the Rams next January.
I have other wishes too, but yeah, that one is right up there.

OP
Old Man

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate that only a few people look at the other forums here on Masonhoops, so I'll put this OT post here ....

The George Mason Women's Track and Field team are the champions of the A-10.
Polish_20230507_171206639-2.jpg

Herndon

All-Conference
I hate the transfer portal. It has ruined college sports for me.

I liked watching guys develop, and teams gradually evolve, and go from end of bench guys, to backups, to starters, to stars.

Now it's an entirely new team every year, and there's no continuity. If a guy doesn't immediately play, he bails. It has made the last few years so boring.

It's so much more fun to think about the the guy you've invested in for 2 years developing than it is wondering if a random backup at South Carolina it's going to randomly show up out of the blue and be awesome, despite the fact that he's already bailed on one team.

When I want free agency, I'll watch the NBA. I hate the f**king transfer portal.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hate the transfer portal. It has ruined college sports for me.

I liked watching guys develop, and teams gradually evolve, and go from end of bench guys, to backups, to starters, to stars.

Now it's an entirely new team every year, and there's no continuity. If a guy doesn't immediately play, he bails. It has made the last few years so boring.

It's so much more fun to think about the the guy you've invested in for 2 years developing than it is wondering if a random backup at South Carolina it's going to randomly show up out of the blue and be awesome, despite the fact that he's already bailed on one team.

When I want free agency, I'll watch the NBA. I hate the f**king transfer portal.

Hell, in most pro sports free agency doesn’t start until you have X years in the league first.

I also never understood why sitting out a year was a “punishment” when they aren’t burning a year of eligibility to do it. Most players take a year to acclimate to a new system anyway, especially if they are transferring “up” or being asked to play a different role.

And then there is the matter of player tampering (teams getting in their ears or their parents’ ears or now their agent’s ears before they ever enter the portal). Most sports leagues (although the NBA is bad at this) have strict rules against this. NCAA should mandate all scholarships be guaranteed for 4 years so long as the athlete is enrolled at the school even if they are no longer on the team (all P5 conferences currently do this) and then they can enforce a strict no contact rule that would require a school to school compensation fine if the school losing the player (maybe equivalent to the cost of a scholarship x number of years left) if they can prove the school tampered with a player’s decision.

Should probably also start dining coaches who push their players out the door (which would be different than a player leaving because they were “recruited over”). Like

The NCAA could also revise their eligibility to be less strict (5 years to play 4). The goal for 99% of these athletes is for them to graduate with a degree.

And let’s not even get started on the way NIL is currently working. It’s a mess.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons a player should be allowed to transfer with no questions asked, but the frictionless system with basically no guardrails is not helping anyone.

I hate that College Basketball is going to follow College Football down the path to hell. The Patriots are a perfect example of what is wrong with college sports - a basically new team with a couple remarkably loyal players. The NCAA doesn't seem to understand the damage having a new team every year has on the fan base. When I watched the 30 for 30 on the Wolfpack's 1983 run to the championship, I found that I remembered all the players on virtually all the ACC and Big East teams, and even several of the out of market teams like Houston and Memphis St. Why? Because we watched all those kids play four years at their schools.

I know I sound like someone saying "get off my lawn", but free agency is ruining college sports just like it has ruined pro sports. I know, I know, "how can I say that when the NFL is more popular than ever?" Here's how, I don't go to Wizards, or Commander games at all, and neither do my 30 something kids. If it weren't for fantasy football I wouldn't follow the NFL at all. Maybe there's a replacement consumer out there for me and even my family, but I have to think the long-term prospects aren't good.

Of course, I haven't been able to shake my MLB obsession, but now it's down to only watching games on TV. Didn't go to one Nats game this year, or last. (probably more of a statement about the Nats than MLB).

Long-winded way of saying I love college basketball and I'm afraid NIL is going to kill it.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep, early '70s Tarheels starting lineup:
George Karl, Steve Previs, Bob McAdoo, Steve Wysic, Charlie Scott.
1982: Jimmy Black, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty, Mike.

Herndon

All-Conference
I hate that College Basketball is going to follow College Football down the path to hell. The Patriots are a perfect example of what is wrong with college sports - a basically new team with a couple remarkably loyal players. The NCAA doesn't seem to understand the damage having a new team every year has on the fan base. When I watched the 30 for 30 on the Wolfpack's 1983 run to the championship, I found that I remembered all the players on virtually all the ACC and Big East teams, and even several of the out of market teams like Houston and Memphis St. Why? Because we watched all those kids play four years at their schools.

I know I sound like someone saying "get off my lawn", but free agency is ruining college sports just like it has ruined pro sports. I know, I know, "how can I say that when the NFL is more popular than ever?" Here's how, I don't go to Wizards, or Commander games at all, and neither do my 30 something kids. If it weren't for fantasy football I wouldn't follow the NFL at all. Maybe there's a replacement consumer out there for me and even my family, but I have to think the long-term prospects aren't good.

Of course, I haven't been able to shake my MLB obsession, but now it's down to only watching games on TV. Didn't go to one Nats game this year, or last. (probably more of a statement about the Nats than MLB).

Long-winded way of saying I love college basketball and I'm afraid NIL is going to kill it.

I hate that you're talking about the portal, and then mentioned NIL (totally unrelated) at the end.