Goodbye Tyler Kolek

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kinda makes you wonder what a CKE team w/Kolek, Wilson, Kier, and Miller still on the roster would look like.
fun as hell to watch is all I know. I will take Kier off since when he left, but imagine a starting lineup of Kolek, Cooper, Schwartz, Miller and Oduro with AJ off the bench... heck I am not even adding Greene who is arguably better than some of these guys.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
fun as hell to watch is all I know. I will take Kier off since when he left, but imagine a starting lineup of Kolek, Cooper, Schwartz, Miller and Oduro with AJ off the bench... heck I am not even adding Greene who is arguably better than some of these guys.

Yeah agreed. One could probably argue that Kolek wouldn't need to be starting PG, but then again if you start with the best 5, he definitely would slide into that spot. He would have definitely been useful to have. Oh well.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this world couldn’t exist, but adding Schwartz, Coop and Ticket while keeping Miller, Kolek and Oduro … that’s a nasty squad

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah agreed. One could probably argue that Kolek wouldn't need to be starting PG, but then again if you start with the best 5, he definitely would slide into that spot. He would have definitely been useful to have. Oh well.
The problem is Kolek can't shoot anymore for whatever reason which is half of his game.

I know this board sucks TK off because of a game winning 3 point play, but he has been REALLY bad defensively and shooting the ball. And Marquette currently is a borderline tourney team with 2 good wins and no bad losses... but that can change if they go under .500 in Big East which is VERY probable.
1629.86.9 PPG3.9 REB6.2 a**1.90.12.8 TO30.8 FG%84.0 FT%23.2 3p%

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The problem is Kolek can't shoot anymore for whatever reason which is half of his game.

I know this board sucks TK off because of a game winning 3 point play, but he has been REALLY bad defensively and shooting the ball. And Marquette currently is a borderline tourney team with 2 good wins and no bad losses... but that can change if they go under .500 in Big East which is VERY probable.
1629.86.9 PPG3.9 REB6.2 a**1.90.12.8 TO30.8 FG%84.0 FT%23.2 3p%

Right- I get he is struggling but the fact hes 84% from the line, and still contributing 6 assists a game plus 4 rebounds means he fills the stat sheet in other ways. Funny enough when Dave was recruiting him, I think he mentioned that he didn't score so much when he saw him, but he did other things to help the team win.

Put him with the other guys you mentioned, and he still earns some quality minutes and helps the team out.

Its all moot anyway though, because he isn't here.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Right- I get he is struggling but the fact hes 84% from the line, and still contributing 6 assists a game plus 4 rebounds means he fills the stat sheet in other ways. Funny enough when Dave was recruiting him, I think he mentioned that he didn't score so much when he saw him, but he did other things to help the team win.

Put him with the other guys you mentioned, and he still earns some quality minutes and helps the team out.

Its all moot anyway though, because he isn't here.
being 84% from the line and not getting to the line makes that a rather silly argument. 3 TO's per game isn't a number to scoff at either. Regardless he isn't play as well as our board members like to claim he is.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
being 84% from the line and not getting to the line makes that a rather silly argument. 3 TO's per game isn't a number to scoff at either. Regardless he isn't play as well as our board members like to claim he is.

I think the point is if Kolek was your starting PG over XJ, Polite, or Gray would you take it?

If I can have only one of Miller or Gaines I’m going the latter (Schwartz committed before Miller said he was leaving I think), but adding Kolek to this same team? Yes please.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think the point is if Kolek was your starting PG over XJ, Polite, or Gray would you take it?

If I can have only one of Miller or Gaines I’m going the latter (Schwartz committed before Miller said he was leaving I think), but adding Kolek to this same team? Yes please.
Absolutely. I would take a Roomba over any of our current PG options (except when XJ has his breakout games 3x per season)

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Or maybe the one where people have convinced themselves the star logo is legit.
FullSizeRender_2_600x.jpg

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
You look at how our transfers are doing in the ACC, AAC, SEC, and PAC-12

Javon Greene (South FL) - 26.7 Min., 10.4 Pts, 4.5 Bds, 1.7 Asts
Jordan Miller (Miami) - 29.5 Min., 7.3 Pts, 6 Bds, .5 Asts
Justin Kier (Arizona) - 20 Min., 8.2 Pts, 2.8 Bds, 2.3 Asts
AJ Wilson (South Carolina) - 17.9 Min., 4.1 Pts, 5.6 Bds, 1.5 Asts

then add in Oduro, and it's easy to believe that we had the makings of a very competitive squad already in place if they'd stuck around.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
You look at how our transfers are doing in the ACC, AAC, SEC, and PAC-12

Javon Greene (South FL) - 26.7 Min., 10.4 Pts, 4.5 Bds, 1.7 Asts
Jordan Miller (Miami) - 29.5 Min., 7.3 Pts, 6 Bds, .5 Asts
Justin Kier (Arizona) - 20 Min., 8.2 Pts, 2.8 Bds, 2.3 Asts
AJ Wilson (South Carolina) - 17.9 Min., 4.1 Pts, 5.6 Bds, 1.5 Asts

then add in Oduro, and it's easy to believe that we had the makings of a very competitive squad already in place if they'd stuck around.

Competative sure. Without CKE we maybe would have beaten Stony Brook by 1, Penn by 4, Morgan State by 3, and gotten steamrolled by Maryland.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Competative sure. Without CKE we maybe would have beaten Stony Brook by 1, Penn by 4, Morgan State by 3, and gotten steamrolled by Maryland.

Probably, but unrelated to the point I was making which is that the talent has been here. A starting five of Green, Miller, Kier, Wilson and Oduro w/solid coaching feels like a solid team. NIT at least.

Credit Paulsen and his staff w/being able to identify those guys early and develop them, none of whom was especially highly ranked. But an indictment that he couldn't win more often with them.

That 18-19 team w/Livingston, Kier, Miller, Greene, and Grayer should have been so much better. Mar was coming off a season where he'd averaged nearly 11 points as a Freshman and was going to be an incredible 1-2 combo w/Reuter. We had that great 9-2 run right in the middle that got everyone's hopes up, only to finish the season 3-5.