Goodbye Tyler Kolek

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
he won't find success anywhere if he doesnt adapt to the transfer portal rather than giving 2 schollys a year to kids with no other offers and holding onto two more. That day is long gone and DP never adapted at Mason, not sure why we think he will all of a sudden adapt elsewhere

I don't think he will adapt elsewhere, I do agree with you. However, there may be some school out there that is in the dumpster and not mind more of a slow build approach at least for a year or two with the caveat of some adapting along the line. I was reading from an NEC writer that CCSU might be looking for someone who can really connect with an athlete and graduate them versus winning. In addition, considering they just came off a 5-16 season (which was after a 4-27 season), they might understand that it might take a little bit before you can win. Dave certainly could sell the slow build approach to get them out of the dumpster, but like with anything, he would have to agree that he would need to adapt after a year or two or he will last his standard 4-5 years with a revolving door of youth and a short roster. Hope that makes sense.

The fact that Boston College has not officially filled its final assistant position may indicate it's being held for Paulsen pending his efforts to obtain a head coaching position such as Central Connecticut State. Another possibility could be Central Michigan.

If he obtains a coaching position, the mitigation language in his GMU contract allows the school to offset his pay against the remainder of the buyout. So, it's in GMU's best interest if he is hired as a head or assistant coach for next season.

Yes true. I suspect he might be in the mix for any or all of these positions and its obvious that he is interested in continuing to coach. If I had to bet I think he would fit better at CCSU than as a BCS assistant at BC or coaching at Central Michigan but merely my opinion.

"Kolek’s most recent list included contact from the Warriors, conference rival Connecticut and a host of strong programs throughout the sport Oklahoma, Penn State, Virginia, Richmond and Davidson were among several options. He ultimately opted for a league that guarantees at least one game in front of friends and family each season. The round robin schedule in the Big East brings the Warriors to the Dunkin’ Donuts Center annually."

"Kolek has raised his profile considerably from a prospect who was the NEPSAC Class B Player of the Year with the Dragons in 2019-20 and a grassroots standout with Middlesex Magic. The 6-foot-3 left-hander listed offers from the Spiders, St. Bonaventure, Northeastern, Holy Cross and Vermont when he made his initial commitment to George Mason. Brown and Bryant also extended offers to the in-state product – Providence and the University of Rhode Island, having accepted commitments from freshmen Alyn Breed and Ishmael Leggett, respectively, declined to do so during his initial recruitment."

I like how they call Marquette the Warriors like they didn't change to Golden Eagles 20 plus years ago.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
For all the bashing of CDP's recruiting, and much of it justified, there's also some acknowledgement due of the number of transfers to bigger conferences by guys not highly ranked coming out of H.S.

Jordan Miller - ACC
AJ Wilson - SEC
Javon Greene - American Athletic
Tyler Kolek - Big East
Jaire Grayer - Big 12
Justin Kier - SEC
Danny Dixon - ACC (via MO-KC)

I guess he's due some credit for spotting the potential. It's unfortunate he could never pull it all together on the court consistently.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For all the bashing of CDP's recruiting, and much of it justified, there's also some acknowledgement due of the number of transfers to bigger conferences by guys not highly ranked coming out of H.S.

Jordan Miller - ACC
AJ Wilson - SEC
Javon Greene - American Athletic
Tyler Kolek - Big East
Jaire Grayer - Big 12
Justin Kier - SEC
Danny Dixon - ACC (via MO-KC)

I guess he's due some credit for spotting the potential. It's unfortunate he could never pull it all together on the court consistently.
Grayer: 7.5 PPG and 4.5 RPG as a 5th year senior
Justin Kier: 9.5 PPG and 3.7 RPG and 2.5 APG as a 5th year senior. His FG% dropped a full 8 points when he moved up.
I saw more time on a D1 court at the Mason press conference than Danny Dixon did as a player in the ACC so I won't bother looking up his stats. He was probably around 30 years old when he made it to NC State.

Jury is out on how these guys will fare, and I do tend to think they will be a little more successful than the rest, but lets not pretend like the Paulsen recruits to move up to a P6 did it because they were crushing it, they did it because they were decent players and they were old, and a known commodity.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Grayer: 7.5 PPG and 4.5 RPG as a 5th year senior
Justin Kier: 9.5 PPG and 3.7 RPG and 2.5 APG as a 5th year senior.

Grayer started 27 of 32 games at TCU and averaged 24 min. - 4th on the team in minutes played and points scored
Kier started 25 of 25 games at UGA and averaged 31 min. - 2nd on the team in minutes played and 4th in points scored.

Are you really going to try and make the argument that neither was a legit contributor in their respective programs? Both were unranked coming out of high school and both ended up starting for a P5 program at the end of their career.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Grayer started 27 of 32 games at TCU and averaged 24 min. - 4th on the team in minutes played and points scored
Kier started 25 of 25 games at UGA and averaged 31 min. - 2nd on the team in minutes played and 4th in points scored.

Are you really going to try and make the argument that neither was a legit contributor in their respective programs?
Did either team make the postseason?

South Carolina kinda sucks as does USF. I hope they both kill it and make the tournament.
Marquette used to not suck but has for quite some time and also has 7 open scholarships.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Are you really going to try and make the argument that neither was a legit contributor in their respective programs?

Looking at their /40 numbers, yeah I think there's at least an argument there. They both went to play for terrible teams at the P6 level and their numbers both went way down across the board. I stand by the argument that they moved up because they were old and a known quantity, not necessarily because their talent level suggested that they would perform at a higher level.

I think both of their pro stocks would have been better served staying in the A10, getting better numbers, and having a 1st or 2nd team all conference to their name rather than being the 5th best starter on the worst team in their new conference.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Looking at their /40 numbers, yeah I think there's at least an argument there. They both went to play for terrible teams at the P6 level and their numbers both went way down across the board. I stand by the argument that they moved up because they were old and a known quantity, not necessarily because their talent level suggested that they would perform at a higher level.

I think both of their pro stocks would have been better served staying in the A10, getting better numbers, and having a 1st or 2nd team all conference to their name rather than being the 5th best starter on the worst team in their new conference.
This is all true but you’re never gonna convince a high-level athlete — especially a young guy who sees himself as bulletproof — that there’s a ceiling on his talent. All of these players believe they will be successful in a more prestigious conference and telling them otherwise is a waste of breath.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is either team sponsored by Under Armour? Does either team wear green jerseys? Does either team have a animal mascot?

Who gives a sh!t? Completely besides the point I made.
No they wore purple and it didn't match anyone's eyes it was terrible.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Except they did perform at a higher level, both were starters in the SEC and Big12. That's just a fact.

And neither UGA or TCU are going to be confused as a Natty contender, but UGA and TCU both went 7-11 in their respective conferences and both beat ranked teams like LSU and Baylor.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is either team sponsored by Under Armour? Does either team wear green jerseys? Does either team have a animal mascot?

Who gives a sh!t? Completely besides the point I made.
Your point included Danny Dixon... sorry it wasn’t taken completely seriously. Avg 7-9 pts at a bad P6 team is nothing to get on your knees for DP about in this age of grad transfers but you do you. You understand the context of transferring up especially to really bad teams when you are seen as a senior figure right? Kolek is the only true undergrad that has transferred up. Miller is a 4th year senior and even sweet Danny Dixon after playing for the kangaroos for 2-3 years.

Masonfan3

Starter
Except they did perform at a higher level, both were starters in the SEC and Big12. That's just a fact.

And neither UGA or TCU are going to be confused as a Natty contender, but UGA and TCU both went 7-11 in their respective conferences and both beat ranked teams like LSU and Baylor.

And TCU beat the sh*& out of us. There is no denying that DP was able to recruit a few really good players but he wasn't able to coach them. I always thought that we had enough talent to be in the top half (some years) if we had the right guy coaching them up.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Avg 7-9 pts at a bad P6 team is nothing to get on your knees for DP about in this age of grad transfers

Here's a great example of why nobody takes you seriously and you're generally considered a blowhard and a d!ck who will say nearly anything just to be a contrarian. Well...that and your constant bad-mouthing of our own players.

Here's what I actually wrote:

If you're coming out of H.S. as less than a 2-star w/Horizon-league level offers and you end up finishing on scholarship at a P5 program, that's a pretty rare event. Contrary to your suggestions that these programs just casually throw scholarships at any 5th year Sr. from a smaller conference, it's actually quite rare.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Here's a great example of why nobody takes you seriously and your generally considered a blowhard and a d!ck who will say nearly anything just to be a contrarian. Well...that and your constant bad-mouthing of our own players.

Here's what I actually said.

If you're coming out of H.S. as less than a 2-star w/Horizon-league level offers and you end up finishing on scholarship at a P5 program, that's a pretty rare even. Contrary to your suggestions that these programs just casually throw scholarships at any 5th year Sr. from a smaller conference, it's actually pretty rare.
Maybe living back in 2010. Have an hour call but I’ll make sure to put in some effort afterwards to prove you wrong.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Maybe living back in 2010. Have an hour call but I’ll make sure to put in some effort afterwards to prove you wrong.

I'm you will. Because you're a blowhard and a d!ck who will say nearly anything just to be a contrarian, not because anything I've written is incorrect.

And that includes my description of your character traits. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Here's a great example of why nobody takes you seriously and you're generally considered a blowhard and a d!ck who will say nearly anything just to be a contrarian. Well...that and your constant bad-mouthing of our own players.

Here's what I actually wrote:

If you're coming out of H.S. as less than a 2-star w/Horizon-league level offers and you end up finishing on scholarship at a P5 program, that's a pretty rare event. Contrary to your suggestions that these programs just casually throw scholarships at any 5th year Sr. from a smaller conference, it's actually quite rare.
"If you're coming out of H.S. as less than a 2-star w/Horizon-league level offers and you end up finishing on scholarship at a P5 program, that's a pretty rare even." - person that talks out of butt nearly all the time

In the year 2000 which it seems was the last time you watched College Basketball I would have no way to fight you on this because you were right. But since we are in 2021 you are just flat out wrong. List compiled below is an unfinished list just of this year 2021 transfer portal. I looked to 2020 transfer portal and there were almost the same amount proving my point. A pretty rare event it is not. Farliegh Dickinson and West Texas A+M have more transfers going to P6 than DP's dudes. Their coach must have been an A+ recruiter for this crazy feat that happens more increasingly every year in this day and age.

Worster- Utah St- Utah
Pleasant Abilene- Wichita St
Kolek Mason-Marquette
Soriano Fordham-St Johns
Reese N Texas- South Carolina
Grant West Texas- Wichita St
Aiken EWU- Arizona
Atkinson Yale-Notre Dame
Battle GW- Minnesota
Boggs UNCW- USF
Bramah Robert Morris- AZ St
Bridges- UIC-Georgia
Carrigan FIU- WVU
Carter Jr Murray St- USC
Coleman Ball St- Mizzou
Cork West Carolina- TCU
Curry ODU- WVU
Davis Green Bay-Mizzou
Dewolf Brown-WSU
Fleming Charleston Southern-Florida
Flowers South Alabama- Washington St
Galloway Charleston-BC
Gardner ECU-UVA
Grady Davidson-Kentucky
Grant West Texas- Wichita St
Green E Kentucky - Auburn
Grill UNLV-Iowa St
Gurley Furman-Bama
Harris American-Seton Hall
Hines Denver - USF
Ingram FAU-Georgia
Jackson Toledo-Az St
Jasper Charleston-Auburn
Jenkins UNLV-Utah
Jones Denver-Iowa St
King EKU-Gtown
Knight San Jose St- LSU
Kolek GMU-Marquette
Laravia ISU-Wake Forest
Lindsey UNLV - Wisconsin
Loewe W+M- Minny
Maluna Key FDU- Oregon St
Martin Missou Southern- Kansas
Miller Mason-Miami
Monsanto ETSU-WFU
Murphy Wofford-Va Tech
Nowell Little Rock - KSU
Roberts UCSD-Wash St
Russell URI-UMD
Smith Vermont-St John's
Spencer Lasalle-Tulane
Stephens Lafayette-Minny
Stewart Tenn Martin- Indiana
Sumerlin New Hamp- Minny
Umude South Dakota- Arkansas
Walker Northeastern- Mich St
Wells UT Arlington - TCU
West Marshall-Louisville
Williams FDU-NW
Yesufu Drake-Kansas

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Wow, you're triggered. I mean, I really hit a nerve, didn't I? You've been stewing on this all day.

It's because I said the thing that's true isn't it?

So some quick math...59 total on your list (Kolek is on twice). About 353 division 1 schools. About 65 of those are P5 programs, so 280 programs. So let's say 4.5 recruits per program on average? That's 1,260 kids per year, so about 4.7%. And of course that's in a year where the 20-21' season didn't count against eligibility and can transfer w/out having to sit, so cut that in half and now you're in the 2-3% range.

And then of course you have kids like Davidson's Kellan Grady in that list. Grady was a 4-star, Top 100 recruit coming out of high school, which, as you quoted me I specifically said "If you're coming out of H.S. as less than a 2-star w/Horizon-league level offers" so they need to come out of that as well.

And all of this because.....I said hmmm.....you know now that you think about it, CDP had a lot of kids that ended up at bigger programs and exceeded their initial rankings. That's what triggered you. That's it.

Way to get people to start taking you seriously and disprove the blowhard label.