Goodbye Dave Paulsen

ephoops

Starter
Delusional. DP got gifted Kolek from an ex player who was his hs coach. He didn't think Miller was good enough so he redshirted him, only to remove it mid season. Oduro was a big cookie after yr 2. In many ways, DP is lucky to have Kolek and Miller attached to him.

SMH. One of the worst posts I've read on this board.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I wish him the best. Was a good guy who probably wouldn't have taken the job if he'd known what he was stepping in to.

While the reasons for departure are different (firing vs. leaving for another school), KE and DP had very similar ends to their Mason tenures. 2021, despite a flurry of postponed and canceled games, we ended the season winning 4 straight (including @ vcu) before winning our first tournament game and then getting curb-stomped in the quarterfinals. Frustrating that you could argue in both cases the coach's system was finally taking hold only to see us have to start completely over. I say this realizing many of you are confident DP could not coach at an A-10 level, but the egos he had to manage probably had a lot to do with his downfall. The final 2 minutes of that beatdown by Davidson were embarrassing for a coach to have to deal with.
Curious to your insight on the egos he struggled to manage. I never got that vibe from that roster but I could totally be missing something.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Delusional. DP got gifted Kolek from an ex player who was his hs coach. He didn't think Miller was good enough so heI redshirted him, only to remove it mid season. Oduro was a big cookie after yr 2. In many ways, DP is lucky to have Kolek and Miller attached to him.
I don't know that this is the worst post I've ever read (a la ephoops), but it is a serious distortion of one of the significant positives of Dave's tenure at Mason. He did bring in some under-the-radar recruits who ultimately were extremely successful in Division 1. That's to his credit. No need for cheap shots at the guy.

I wish him the best at Holy Cross.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Delusional. DP got gifted Kolek from an ex player who was his hs coach. He didn't think Miller was good enough so he redshirted him, only to remove it mid season. Oduro was a big cookie after yr 2. In many ways, DP is lucky to have Kolek and Miller attached to him.
From what I recall, it was Jordan Miller who wanted to redshirt because he lacked the confidence to play right away.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
From what I recall, it was Jordan Miller who wanted to redshirt because he lacked the confidence to play right away.
That's what I remember. Paulsen drove me crazy because I felt we had talent but weren't taking advantage of it. His last year we beat three teams by 30+ points and mediocre teams don't do that. While I wanted to move on I am appreciative that he breathed life into the program, which was moribound under Hewitt.

My bet is he'll have success at HC.