George Mason University Athletic Hall of Fame

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

This is the link to John Feinstein's March 15, 2006 column in the Washington Post - https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...n-worse/a5533b4a-bdaf-41c0-a7cb-573947c96cd8/

"Sadly, the incident has overshadowed the success that Skinn has found since arriving at Mason three years ago. Coming out of Takoma Academy five years ago, he wasn't academically eligible for an NCAA scholarship. He went to junior college in Texas for a year and then transferred to Hagerstown Community College to be closer to home and to try to get his grades up so he could get his associate's degree and be eligible to transfer to a Division I school.

'I had met [GMU grad] Jason Miskiri playing in the Kenner League during the summer [of 2002], and he had talked about Mason,' Skinn said. 'I decided not to play basketball that year so I would be sure to graduate. Fortunately, the coaches had seen enough of me that they still offered me the chance to come and play.'

He worked his way into the starting lineup during his sophomore season and has been the point guard since. He has done well enough academically that he will graduate in May with a degree in communications.
In a sense, he has dreamed about this week ever since his first year at Mason, when the Patriots lost the CAA championship game in the final seconds to Virginia Commonwealth."

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Otis Livingston and Josh Oduro should also belong in the hall of fame as well
I’m on the fence with Oduro. Loved what he did while at Mason, but he transferred. I know it’s the way of college sports now.

Edit- I no longer think the transfer should be held against him. He graduated from Mason. Now I’m debating if his play warrants to be in the Mason HOF.

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I’m on the fence with Oduro. Loved what he did while at Mason, but he transferred. I know it’s the way of college sports now.
He gave Mason 4 very good years including conference player of the year--I'm guessing George Evans was the only other one in Mason history. And did graduate. A fine representative of our university and worthy of our Hall of Fame.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He gave Mason 4 very good years including conference player of the year--I'm guessing George Evans was the only other one in Mason history. And did graduate. A fine representative of our university and worthy of our Hall of Fame.
Agree love Josh. But did he ever win conference POY while he was at Mason? Don’t remember that.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Because he graduated with a degree from Mason, I'm still a fan.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Honestly was his play worthy of the HOF or is it recency bias?

psyclone

Hall of Famer

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Falco arguing with himself about whether Josh should be eligible to be in Mason’s HOF.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think anyone who was first-team all-conference and graduated from Mason should be considered for the HOF (but not automatic).

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Interesting discussion. As an idea, how about the entire FF team as a group?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Its an old thread but use this thread to

1) Discuss why we don't have a hall of fame
2) Discuss where the Mason Athletics Hall of Fame should go (its going in the new facility. ETA 2026)
3) Discuss criteria for who gets into the Mason Athletics Hall of Fame including whether completion of eligibility or completion of degree matters.
4)Debate who should or shouldn't get into the Mason Athletics Hall of Fame

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Its an old thread but use this thread to

1) Discuss why we don't have a hall of fame
2) Discuss where the Mason Athletics Hall of Fame should go (its going in the new facility. ETA 2026)
3) Discuss criteria for who gets into the Mason Athletics Hall of Fame including whether completion of eligibility or completion of degree matters.
4)Debate who should or shouldn't get into the Mason Athletics Hall of Fame

While the Mason Athletic Hall of Fame has been inactive for decades, some of Mason's sports programs do have their own Hall of Fame. This is apparently necessary because the school has been unable to resolve the "Carlos Yates" issue.

IMO, there should a two step process for induction of individuals and teams: the nomination and selection as follows:

(1) The criteria for nomination of individuals would include athletic performance as well as character and reputation during and after the player's or coach's Mason career. Normally, I would expect the student-athlete to earn an undergraduate degree at Mason unless there are extenuating circumstances to warrant an exception. I would also expect the student-athlete or coach to have a significant impact on his or her sport at Mason, and to have a positive impact in the community during and post-Mason career. For this reason, I would recommend a minimum 10-year waiting period after leaving Mason for eligibility for nomination.

For nomination of teams, there should be a significant achievement that brought recognition to Mason.

(2) The criteria for selection of individuals would be based on athletic performance only (during and after the Mason career).
Carlos Yates was charged with a felony and did not earn a degree. Therefore, I would not recommend his nomination unless there are extenuating circumstances that would warrant a significant exception to the nomination criteria.

For the initial class after re-activation, I would recommend about 5 former men's basketball players (including George Evans and Kenny Sanders), Coach Jim Larranaga, and the Final Four Team.

IMO, the Mason Athletic Hall of Fame should be located where the students and fans would have easy access to it. If I'm not mistaken, I saw it once in a room upstairs in the Fieldhouse where I would never have been if not for a meeting that I attended.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
While the Mason Athletic Hall of Fame has been inactive for decades, some of Mason's sports programs do have their own Hall of Fame. This is apparently necessary because the school has been unable to resolve the "Carlos Yates" issue.

IMO, there should a two step process for induction of individuals and teams: the nomination and selection as follows:

(1) The criteria for nomination of individuals would include athletic performance as well as character and reputation during and after the player's or coach's Mason career. Normally, I would expect the student-athlete to earn an undergraduate degree at Mason unless there are extenuating circumstances to warrant an exception. I would also expect the student-athlete or coach to have a significant impact on his or her sport at Mason, and to have a positive impact in the community during and post-Mason career. For this reason, I would recommend a minimum 10-year waiting period after leaving Mason for eligibility for nomination.

For nomination of teams, there should be a significant achievement that brought recognition to Mason.

(2) The criteria for selection of individuals would be based on athletic performance only (during and after the Mason career).
Carlos Yates was charged with a felony and did not earn a degree. Therefore, I would not recommend his nomination unless there are extenuating circumstances that would warrant a significant exception to the nomination criteria.

For the initial class after re-activation, I would recommend about 5 former men's basketball players (including George Evans and Kenny Sanders), Coach Jim Larranaga, and the Final Four Team.

IMO, the Mason Athletic Hall of Fame should be located where the students and fans would have easy access to it. If I'm not mistaken, I saw it once in a room upstairs in the Fieldhouse where I would never have been if not for a meeting that I attended.
I have always been a Carlos Yates fan. He was after my time, but I did see him single handedly take down Tarrant's Spiders at the Robins Center. But if it is true that he is the primary reason that we don't have a HoF, then I would say don't include him. It's just not fair to the guys who do belong.
Andre Gaddy should be a shoo in.