Poll George Mason or Mason or GMU?

What name should be on the front of the basketball uniforms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreeGunston12

All-American
Yeah, had people complaining about Gunston scaring their kids. Really!!?? C'mon, what mascot doesn't scare some kids? Santa? Ban him. I woulda said "cancel him"; but, you know.
If KE is bringing back the old jerseys, why not bring back the old mascot? He's way too cool to coach a team with "the patriot" as their mascot.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If KE is bringing back the old jerseys, why not bring back the old mascot? He's way too cool to coach a team with "the patriot" as their mascot.
1633699520651.png

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Up front, I truly don't mean to stir up a hornet's. Honestly. But here's something I've been wondering about. Unfortunately, in today's PC world, perfectly good words that have been used for generations have been hijacked and given new meanings. For instance, the word gay used to mean happy. My grandmother used it all the time. Today, the word Patriot has, to many, taken on negative connotations. I have a "Be A Patriot" sticker on my car and wonder how long it will be before my car is keyed.
I am not suggesting a name change or anything, just sharing a thought that unlike the NE Patriots which is a widely known nickname, Mason Patriots is not.
It is a shame that at least I (even if I am the only one) worries about a bumper sticker.
Please feel free to delete if this is an inappropriate post. Just kinda wanted to get it off my chest.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Up front, I truly don't mean to stir up a hornet's. Honestly. But here's something I've been wondering about. Unfortunately, in today's PC world, perfectly good words that have been used for generations have been hijacked and given new meanings. For instance, the word gay used to mean happy. My grandmother used it all the time. Today, the word Patriot has, to many, taken on negative connotations. I have a "Be A Patriot" sticker on my car and wonder how long it will be before my car is keyed.
I am not suggesting a name change or anything, just sharing a thought that unlike the NE Patriots which is a widely known nickname, Mason Patriots is not.
It is a shame that at least I (even if I am the only one) worries about a bumper sticker.
Please feel free to delete if this is an inappropriate post. Just kinda wanted to get it off my chest.

We change nothing. Patriots it is. A patriot can be a man or woman, black or white, straight or queer.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh good, we hit the "lets talk about our mascot" part of the offseason. Just 1 more week to go until Mason Madness! Can we make it the week without beating any other horses?

Lets get back on the topic on whether we like GMU George Mason or Mason. I personally really like the jerseys this year that say George Mason.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Some good news - the athletic department has been working with the bookstore and a jersey is currently being worked on that will be available for purchase. I do not know if it will be Adidas or another maker and I do not know how well it will replicate our new look... but I do know that the athletic department is trying.

I also know that there has been a push form the athletic department for the bookstore to offer more Adidas gear for purchase. I guess over the last few years, the sales of the Adidas gear hasn't been stellar, but most believe that KE's hire could change the demand for Mason basketball specific gear.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh good, we hit the "lets talk about our mascot" part of the offseason. Just 1 more week to go until Mason Madness! Can we make it the week without beating any other horses?

Lets get back on the topic on whether we like GMU George Mason or Mason. I personally really like the jerseys this year that say George Mason.
George Mason, baby, forever!!!

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I love Gunston! But the school will never go back to a mascot named after a slave plantation.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I still vote for hiring whoever came up with Gritty and the Phillie Phanatic
I still have an autographed pic of the San Diego Chicken when he came to an A-ball game of the old Durham Bulls in about 1980.