Gameday Experience

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Didn’t mean basketball wise lol. Andy ruge doesn’t play for the team. Meant what cool events and promotions or fan things have happened

lol, Star Wars night, back to the 80s and 90s I think, mr belding (all after I left of course)

sleeperpick appreciation night where he gives hugs to players

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
lol, Star Wars night, back to the 80s and 90s I think, mr belding (all after I left of course)

sleeperpick appreciation night where he gives hugs to players
That would be swim mom. Best mason fan there is. Honestly her ego and entitled behavior towards our program certainly has Ruge partly to blame.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mason dropped this beer add promoting on-campus drinking that says "Amplify Your Campus Experience." SAVAGE!!!!

EYY7qXoXkAAVcHz

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Well we probably won’t have anything to bitch and moan about because there probably won’t be fans.

that said, I hope they do some sort of virtual fan watching sessions or something for people. Although probably nobody will show up for those, just like the community nights and watch parties.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I dunno, there still could be a gameday experience—albeit, a "virtual" one. Assuming games are televised, perhaps we could run watch parties on Zoom? Of course, we'd have to all remain on mute. When we'd find reason to cheer, the audience could hold up a homemade sign, Mason paraphernalia, or use the hand-clap icon to show fan approval. It might be neat to see a grid layout of 100 muted and frenzied fans watching a Mason basketball game from their living rooms and man-caves... or, maybe not. Seems kinda Orwellian.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I dunno, there still could be a gameday experience—albeit, a "virtual" one. Assuming games are televised, perhaps we could run watch parties on Zoom? Of course, we'd have to all remain on mute. When we'd find reason to cheer, the audience could hold up a homemade sign, Mason paraphernalia, or use the hand-clap icon to show fan approval. It might be neat to see a grid layout of 100 muted and frenzied fans watching a Mason basketball game from their living rooms and man-caves... or, maybe not. Seems kinda Orwellian.

I think it would be cool, but probably too risky for the AD to host. We can't trust that Jim wouldn't start rubbing his nipples to the high ball screen handoff offense while on camera.

Personally I think this is a great opportunity for the AD to flex some of these partnerships with local restaurants to have them host multiple watch parties with food/drink specials. I've accepted that it's unlikely that we'll have fans in attendance, but if there were sponsored watch parties at Brions/Chuys/whatever other local restaurants have relationships with the AD.

I think the main thing they'll have to work out is to ensure that the restaurants have the capability to stream ESPN+ games. I personally haven't seen any bars do it yet so I don't know if it's a hardware issue (no smart TVs) or if it's a rights issue (does ESPN+ extend to commercial businesses?)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it would be cool, but probably too risky for the AD to host. We can't trust that Jim wouldn't start rubbing his nipples to the high ball screen handoff offense while on camera.

Personally I think this is a great opportunity for the AD to flex some of these partnerships with local restaurants to have them host multiple watch parties with food/drink specials. I've accepted that it's unlikely that we'll have fans in attendance, but if there were sponsored watch parties at Brions/Chuys/whatever other local restaurants have relationships with the AD.

I think the main thing they'll have to work out is to ensure that the restaurants have the capability to stream ESPN+ games. I personally haven't seen any bars do it yet so I don't know if it's a hardware issue (no smart TVs) or if it's a rights issue (does ESPN+ extend to commercial businesses?)

Lol, its not a bad idea with the restaurants to have watch parties, although I suspect that some folks will be tentative to attend with whats going on. I know I would be. It would probably be hard for the AD to host 300 people on a Zoom but perhaps they can figure out how to do groups of like 20 or 30. It would probably be good engagement to have some preseason Zoom sessions with the team in some capacity, maybe let us watch practice and/or hear from the staff. I know I would tune in for something like that.

As far as restaurants with ESPN+, it just depends on what the bar subscribes to or tech they have available. For the most part they have the ability to get ESPN+ because they have smart TVs and subscribe to it since they subscribe to most sports channels. It has gotten much better over the years as Mason games have been broadcasted more and more. I remember back in the day I would have to argue with a restaurant on what channel Mason was on.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lol, its not a bad idea with the restaurants to have watch parties, although I suspect that some folks will be tentative to attend with whats going on. I know I would be. It would probably be hard for the AD to host 300 people on a Zoom but perhaps they can figure out how to do groups of like 20 or 30. It would probably be good engagement to have some preseason Zoom sessions with the team in some capacity, maybe let us watch practice and/or hear from the staff. I know I would tune in for something like that.

As far as restaurants with ESPN+, it just depends on what the bar subscribes to or tech they have available. For the most part they have the ability to get ESPN+ because they have smart TVs and subscribe to it since they subscribe to most sports channels. It has gotten much better over the years as Mason games have been broadcasted more and more. I remember back in the day I would have to argue with a restaurant on what channel Mason was on.

If Brions got some of those heat lamps I'd park my drunk a** out on their patio to watch games every time they played. Like you said though, idk if the demand is there from the fans to get the AD to work on something like this. I just hope they do something, my expectations are not super high though.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If Brions got some of those heat lamps I'd park my drunk a** out on their patio to watch games every time they played. Like you said though, idk if the demand is there from the fans to get the AD to work on something like this. I just hope they do something, my expectations are not super high though.
I've already asked about the heaters. They have 3! Next time I'm there I'll have a chat with him.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah- I suspect theyll do some sort of public event as they have tried over the last few years even if 10 people show up.

By George.

Starter
I don’t know what thread this belongs on but we’re pretty concerned that people are going to simply stop giving AF all together if we can’t have fans at the game. We were just picking up steam with tailgating, the game day experience was improving and AJ is a highlight reel.

Seems pretty clear the only fans that may be at games are high end donors. We hold a lot of fringe fans, we fail at containing them in normal years. We can also tell numbers on our content are way down. Maybe GK just sucks, maybe it’s the off-season blues.....but people outside of these boards do not care right now. It’s scary.

Outside factors aside because Mason hoops should be en escape from all the bull shit we’re dealing with.

Last edited:

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know what thread this belongs on but we’re pretty concerned that people are going to simply stop giving AF all together if we can’t have fans at the game. We were just picking up steam with tailgating, the game day experience was improving and AJ is a highlight reel.

Seems pretty clear the only fans that may be at games are high end donors. We hold a lot of fringe fails, we fail at containing them in normal years. We can also tell numbers on our content are way down. Maybe GK just sucks, maybe it’s the off-season blues.....but people outside of these boards do not care right now. It’s scary.

Outside factors aside because Mason hoops should be en escape from all the bull shit we’re dealing with.
It’s almost like this is a program that hasn’t given anyone much to be excited about in years.

We thought the same thing about high level donors taking all the tickets here at Tennessee, but it hasn’t really been the case. We went through our entire donor list for football tickets, and ended up having some single game tickets available last weekend.
Some of the people who get tickets in the lower portion of the stands who never show up may give up or defer their tickets. High probability that there are tarps covering the bottom seats anyway to make up for lost ad revenue.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Seems pretty clear the only fans that may be at games are high end donors. We hold a lot of fringe fails, we fail at containing them in normal years. We can also tell numbers on our content are way down. Maybe GK just sucks, maybe it’s the off-season blues.....but people outside of these boards do not care right now. It’s scary.

there are really like 15 high end donors for the basketball team though. are you thinking that is all that will be allowed at games? (if anyone is)

JPgmuswim

Starter

First off you all don’t suck, we appreciate your content and hard work, that said I can only imagine how frustrating it is to put in the hours of hard work you all do to then see the low numbers on listeners/interest.

I imagine interest in the team has declined, we were terrible last season. Winning cures all right?
This is a weird year, I believe interest in almost all sports is down, the MLB and NBA viewership numbers are awful.
It’s also the off-season, not only is it the off-season but we don’t even have a schedule, when’s our first game gonna be? As you stated are students going to be able to attend.