Game Thread: Mason (9-1) vs. American (3-4), Saturday, Dec. 7th, 7:00 PM

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I almost feel like an NIT at-large is harder to get for a mid-major.

In the NCAA tourney, the committee is charged w/picking the best at-large teams, period. The NIT feels like they're keeping ticket sales in mind and giving the bigger schools ranking bumps and home games.
Yeah, that and the rule that anyone who finishes 1st in their conference but doesn't win their conference tournament is automatically in. I don't have numbers to back it up offhand, but I feel like that happens a ton in the bottom-tier conferences where there isn't all that much separating the programs. Most teams in the top six or so conferences are into the NCAA with an at-large if they finish first in season standings but don't win the conference tournament, which means they don't take up one of those NIT slots. I guess just hope that the regular season champs of all the bottom conferences win their conference tournaments.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We talked about at-large chances across the A10 at the 60 minute mark, if you're into that sort of thing. Long story short - Mason goes into the "I wish they played a better schedule" bucket with Duquesne. Beating TCU would be great, but we don't have any of the wins that build a tournament resume at the moment, and noncon SOS is weak.

https://giantkiller.co/ByGeorge/2019/12/12/hey10-ep14/
It's kind of funny that if Hartwell doesn't hit the last minute 3 against Navy that we'd be sitting at 9-2 knowing all of our post-season chances are already gone. Mid-majors really live and die by that strength of schedule.

Mason32

Starter
It's kind of funny that if Hartwell doesn't hit the last minute 3 against Navy that we'd be sitting at 9-2 knowing all of our post-season chances are already gone. Mid-majors really live and die by that strength of schedule.

A-10 isn't a mid-major conference, Mason and Duquesne could have actually went on the road and played some decent teams but chose not to.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maryland and tcu combined = decent. New mexi st decent.

I wonder how this schedule compares to the 06 final 4 year out a conference.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maryland and tcu combined = decent. New mexi st decent.

I wonder how this schedule compares to the 06 final 4 year out a conference.
I’ll take a peak for you.
Adjusted SOS was 92 though. I think it’s impossible to get to 150 for us this year. Currently we are 321

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Uc Irvine 130
Wake forest 80 (nit)
creighton 51 (nit)
Manhattan 134 (NIT)
Georgia st 219
American 257
ODU 67 (nit)
Radford (230)
Hampton 271 (made tourney)
Holy cross 129
Mississippi st 114
Wichita st 26 (made tourney)

we are echelons behind this OOC SOS

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
They probably look at SOS. Not just OOC SOS. Thats where being in strong conf comes into play.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They probably look at SOS. Not just OOC SOS. Thats where being in strong conf comes into play.
Only thing that could salvage our SOS this year is if we played in ACC or Big Ten.

I don’t hate the strategy anymore but it’s certainly a Jeff Neubauer plan. Let’s see how it works out.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What's really cool?

If we had a played a tougher schedule with this team and were sitting right now at 6-5/7-4.

NO ONE would be spending the amount of time talking about how our bad SOS would keep us from at large consideration.....

Certainly with Kier out at the beginning of the season. No way we go 5-0 against a tougher schedule missing our best player.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
100%. What the hell are we complaining about?

Wouldn’t be our board if somebody wasn’t complaining about something.

This was exactly the kind of schedule this young team needed to build confidence, especially without Kier.

We’ll find out where we stand starting next month anyhow. They have a chance to keep proving people wrong and play their way in. Can’t ask for more than that.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Because some posters have invested so much time and energy pissing and moaning that they've now emotionally invested in the team losing and deep down rooting for a losing streak just so they can say "I told you so" rather than having wasted all that effort being an asshat all along.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wouldn’t be our board if somebody wasn’t complaining about something.

This was exactly the kind of schedule this young team needed to build confidence, especially without Kier.

We’ll find out where we stand starting next month anyhow. They have a chance to keep proving people wrong and play their way in. Can’t ask for more than that.
He asked for a comparison of 06 SOS to this years. Not a big deal to provide the stat. Let’s not get back into a pissing contest over who invests in the team more. It’s a direct fact via ken Pom this is top 3 easiest OOC SOS mason has had since the stat was recorded in 2003. That’s not hating on anyone just a pure fact

patriotchild

Starter
Agree, if we aren’t 11-1 there’s zero discussion because you didn’t set yourself up to even be in the discussion and we are DOA. We shouldn’t have to play perfect basketball every night. That’s why we left the CAA.

Now that we are in the A10, and especially when it’s also a strong year, why not always try to give yourself a chance at an at-large? I thought that was the point of being in the A10.

A gaudy 12-2 or 13-1 record against low competition is just setting up the fan base for disappointment. Casual fans, and even us, won’t care how we started the year. It’s all about how you finish and getting to the NCAA or NIT.

2-3 more games against quality OOC would have been ideal (I’d like to see ~5 a year, with 8 ‘cupcakes’). It wouldn’t be that detrimental to the team psychology if we lose those games and so what if we do? Even if we lose them, our profile is better. Then, if we do tear it up in conference, we could still be in the discussion since we lost to quality opponents. If we win them we have a solid chance at an large and less pressure to be perfect during conference play and win the conference tournament.

If that’s not the philosophy going forward I’m not really sure we ever get out of “mediocre” territory and there’s really no point to watch this team until the conference tournament. That is what is so frustrating, to me anyway, about this year’s schedule.

But hey, I guess the counter point is that we only need to be sub .500 (7-9 conference wins) to get 20 overall and look good on paper. Then we can play in some crappy tournament and say the year was a success. What do I know?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Do you all really think DP believed he had a NCAA tourney at large team right after he said we don't have the look of the top A10 teams? Delusion run wild if you think this schedule was built for the dance. IMO, the schedule was built to quell the pitch forks had we lost more players to transfer and/or whiffed on recruits, ie Reuter 2.0. The good news is we have turned a slight corner in recruiting. Question I have is why couldn't a seasoned staff (Kelly and Fischer) not put us on that level to begin with.

Having said that, win 29 games and we are dancing baby!

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Do you all really think DP believed he had a NCAA tourney at large team right after he said we don't have the look of the top A10 teams? Delusion run wild if you think this schedule was built for the dance. IMO, the schedule was built to quell the pitch forks had we lost more players to transfer and/or whiffed on recruits, ie Reuter 2.0. The good news is we have turned a slight corner in recruiting. Question I have is why couldn't a seasoned staff (Kelly and Fischer) not put us on that level to begin with.

This is exactly why our schedule is what it is. I have gotten over it and am just enjoying walking to my car not swearing because we lose every night like in years past. I honestly think since reassessing how good this program can become (competing for top 5 each year and not being upset at being 5) my mindset has changed. We are finally not embarrassing which is enough for me for a while.
It’s not complaining saying our OOC schedule is Fordham esque that is just honesty

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is exactly why our schedule is what it is. I have gotten over it and am just enjoying walking to my car not swearing because we lose every night like in years past. I honestly think since reassessing how good this program can become (competing for top 5 each year and not being upset at being 5) my mindset has changed. We are finally not embarrassing which is enough for me for a while.
It’s not complaining saying our OOC schedule is Fordham esque that is just honesty

Wait a second, did you just breakthrough and say that competing for top 5 and being no less than middle of the pack was actually okay and a good place for Mason to be right now? Good job my friend. :cigar:

That said our OOC schedule isn't quite Fordham esq, last time I checked Fordham doesn't take buy games to go play a BCS team on the road to flip them for extra home games. But I get your point and where you are coming from.

And we all know why it was built this way, and at this point I'm fine with it, its nice to see wins on the court. Hopefully as years continue and Mason improves, there will be chances to get home and homes with some better quality opponents. I'm still glad that Mason got JMU and ODU out of the schedule, and a few other local opponents. Just sucks that Nebraska is so bad but at least they got a Power 5 level team exposure.

Mason32

Starter

It doesn't make sense in any season to schedule such few road games in your non-conference. Our freshmen are in a big surprise for the weekly grind of the conference schedule in January