Game 9: GMU (4-4) vs ODU (3-5) on Saturday, December 4, at 7 PM.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I was a hoping to see more trapping in the half court or even a full court press. But KE's defense resembles the NBA so much that I guess we won't see it at all. We have good speed and length to scramble in the half court. This could offset the other teams abusing Jamal while using, amongst other things, Jamals speed to create turnovers. We haven't talked about playing uptempo from a defensive standpoint which is shortsighted imo.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Agree with almost everything what you posted above but have to disagree about Hartwell. I haven't seen him red hot yet this year. 15 - 61 from the floor. 24.6% is the worst on the entire team.
And he bricked 3 WIDE-OPEN 3’s against ODU after they doubled down on Oduro … ODU rightly focused on sticking to Schwartz and Cooper, dared Hartwell to beat them and he couldn’t do it.

I know I’ve been hard on him, but a D-I guard has to be able to make completely uncontested 3s at a higher rate (particularly when he’s not giving you anything on the other end).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Agree with almost everything what you posted above but have to disagree about Hartwell. I haven't seen him red hot yet this year. 15 - 61 from the floor. 24.6% is the worst on the entire team.
Agreed - I was talking about in general not just this season. But this year he’s shooting a lot and has been ice cold

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And he bricked 3 WIDE-OPEN 3’s against ODU after they doubled down on Oduro … ODU rightly focused on sticking to Schwartz and Cooper, dared Hartwell to beat them and he couldn’t do it.

I know I’ve been hard on him, but a D-I guard has to be able to make completely uncontested 3s at a higher rate (particularly when he’s not giving you anything on the other end).
I've seen lots of rec league kids shoot the lights out on threes. How did Hartwell even get here??

Dawgs99

Starter
Simpkins posted a few videos on IG of Polite working out, maybe after the game Saturday. He was dunking off a drop step with ease....Kid looks healthy to me? He's either real close to coming back or something else is going on.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Simpkins posted a few videos on IG of Polite working out, maybe after the game Saturday. He was dunking off a drop step with ease....Kid looks healthy to me? He's either real close to coming back or something else is going on.
He hasn't been dressed in uniform yet from what I can tell, so I suspect he still isn't ready to play? Perhaps someone can ask and we'll get more of an answer from the coaches show.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know we all know this, but dunking in a side workout isn’t much of an indicator of whether he’s ready to go at game speed.

The medical/training staffs typically are very careful about not rushing guys back before they’re fully healthy, and rightfully so. The stress these dudes put on their bodies is crazy … coming off hip surgery I’d want to make sure Polite doesn’t get re-injured or do permanent damage.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

He got hot during the Penn game (if you remember he hit a couple of 3s in a row that then sparked the big second half run). He went 4-7 in that game.

But I think part of the problem with Hartwell (as with most of the team) is the more teams realize he's not getting to the bucket, even if he beats his man, they can just run him off the line and recycle the defense.