Game 7: GMU (2-4) vs Queens University of Charlotte (4-1) on Saturday, November 26, at 2:00 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
They play University of Lynchburg on 11/23. I will update Ken Pom, records, and stats after that game.

Ken Pom: Surprisingly Ken Pom gives us a 77% chance of winning.
GMU - 115
Queens - 209

We are 1-0 against Queens all-time. We eked out a 66-65 win against them on November 26, 2020 in an utterly forgetful game.

This year is their first year as a D1 Program. They joined the ASUN Conference as a full member and were picked 13th out of the 14 teams in the conference coaches poll. To their credit they have scheduled OOC games against Big 10, A10, Southern Conference, Horizon, and Big South teams. They also participated in the Jamaica Classic this past week going 2-0.

They had great success in DII. Queens is coming off a 2021-22 season in which the Royals posted a 30-4 overall record while making their seventh straight appearance in the NCAA Division II Tournament and third Sweet 16 game in the past five seasons. The Royals finished with their highest end of regular season ranking in program history, checking in at No. 4 in both the NABC Coaches poll and the D2SIDA Media poll. The 30-win season marks the fourth time in the last six seasons that the Royals reached that milestone.

Queens is currently 4-1 on the season. They are 2-0 at home, 0-1 on the road, and 2-0 at neutral sites.

Wins: Marshall (83-82), Clinton College (99-65), Green Bay (81-65), Morgan St. (74-64)
Losses: LaSalle (72-60)

Schedule: https://queensathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://queensathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball
Stats: https://queensathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23

Queens is led by 6’0” Kenny Dye (19.2 ppg) and 6’2” AJ McKee (12.4 ppg), and 6’5” Jay’Den Turner (11.8 ppg & 7.4 reb). Other starters are, 6’7” Gavin Rains (7.4 ppg) and 6’5” Quan McCluney (3.0 ppg). One notable addition to the roster is 6’2” Chris Ashby from Paris Junior College in Texas. He was one of four players in Division I Junior College Basketball to hit 100+ three-pointers and he did so at a 42-percent clip. However he is only averaging 3.4 ppg so far. 8 Royals average double digit minutes played.

The Royals have averaged 79.4 points per game while giving up 69.6. Queens is shooting 47.8% from the floor and 32.8% from 3. Opponents are shooting 42.7% from the field and 30.7% from 3. The Royals have out rebounded their opponents by 11.0 boards per game thus far. They shoot 70.5% from the charity stripe and have averaged 16.6 turnovers per game to date.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: Given our woes thus far it’s hard to feel confident going into this one. Picking Mason hasn’t worked so I’ll go with Queens 79-71. The fall into oblivion continues. How low will/can we sink? A crowd of 12 passionate Mason fans leaves EBA in disgust.

Discuss.

Attachments

• SingletonvsQueens.jpg
    SingletonvsQueens.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 6,920
Last edited by a moderator:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They play University of Lynchburg on 11/23. I will update Ken Pom, records, and stats after that game.

Ken Pom:
GMU - 115
Queens - 209

We are 1-0 against Queens all-time. We eked out a 66-65 win against them on November 26, 2020 in an utterly forgetful game.

This year is their first year as a D1 Program. They joined the ASUN Conference as a full member and were picked 13th out of the 14 teams in the conference coaches poll. To their credit they have scheduled OOC games against Big 10, A10, Southern Conference, Horizon, and Big South teams. They also participated in the Jamaica Classic this past week going 2-0.

They had great success in DII. Queens is coming off a 2021-22 season in which the Royals posted a 30-4 overall record while making their seventh straight appearance in the NCAA Division II Tournament and third Sweet 16 game in the past five seasons. The Royals finished with their highest end of regular season ranking in program history, checking in at No. 4 in both the NABC Coaches poll and the D2SIDA Media poll. The 30-win season marks the fourth time in the last six seasons that the Royals reached that milestone.

Queens is currently 4-1 on the season. They are 2-0 at home, 0-1 on the road, and 2-0 at neutral sites.

Wins: Marshall (83-82), Clinton College (99-65), Green Bay (81-65), Morgan St. (74-64)
Losses: LaSalle (72-60)

Schedule: https://queensathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://queensathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball
Stats: https://queensathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23

Queens is led by 6’0” Kenny Dye (19.2 ppg) and 6’2” AJ McKee (12.4 ppg), and 6’5” Jay’Den Turner (11.8 ppg & 7.4 reb). Other starters are, 6’7” Gavin Rains (7.4 ppg) and 6’5” Quan McCluney (3.0 ppg). One notable addition to the roster is 6’2” Chris Ashby from Paris Junior College in Texas. He was one of four players in Division I Junior College Basketball to hit 100+ three-pointers and he did so at a 42-percent clip. However he is only averaging 3.4 ppg so far. 8 Royals average double digit minutes played.

The Royals have averaged 79.4 points per game while giving up 69.6. Queens is shooting 47.8% from the floor and 32.8% from 3. Opponents are shooting 42.7% from the field and 30.7% from 3. The Royals have out rebounded their opponents by 11.0 boards per game thus far. They shoot 70.5% from the charity stripe and have averaged 16.6 turnovers per game to date.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: Given our woes thus far it’s hard to feel confident going into this one. Picking Mason hasn’t worked so I’ll go with Queens 79-71. The fall into oblivion continues. How low will/can we sink? A crowd of 12 passionate Mason fans leaves EBA in disgust.

Discuss.
Reminds me of the fan crowd back in my day. NOT kidding!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I saw them play Green Bay and Morgan St over the weekend. They shoot 3s and try to get to the rim. Perimeter D better be ready.

nchocola

Walk-On
If I was KE and there was one thing I was going to focus on for this next game it would be to speed the pace of the game up.

Provide some type of half court pressure at least half the time. Push the ball up the court on defensive rebounds or turnovers and don’t let the defense get set. Hit the offensive glass hard especially when they are playing help defense on the ball in the lane.

In turn, playing fast will create the energy they have been so desperately lacking. It’s on KE to figure that out. They have multiple guys who can jam and play tough when the energy is there. They have the depth to play this way if they wanted to against most teams in D1. Also, the home crowd gets into the game when you play fast, creating more energy.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If I was KE and there was one thing I was going to focus on for this next game it would be to speed the pace of the game up.

Provide some type of half court pressure at least half the time. Push the ball up the court on defensive rebounds or turnovers and don’t let the defense get set. Hit the offensive glass hard especially when they are playing help defense on the ball in the lane.

In turn, playing fast will create the energy they have been so desperately lacking. It’s on KE to figure that out. They have multiple guys who can jam and play tough when the energy is there. They have the depth to play this way if they wanted to against most teams in D1. Also, the home crowd gets into the game when you play fast, creating more energy.
Why not? I'm game for anything but what we have seen so far.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I like the 2 bigs playing together. Reminds me of Will Thomas and Jai Lewis. If Ojiako is Will Thomas and Oduro is Jai Lewis....who is the rest of the cast....

KAOriginal

All-American
I assume we will win, well....because we should. But does that reflect any true improvement?

This and the next 6 games should have been "gimmies" based on our expectations coming into season.

But now? Dear god.........

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like the 2 bigs playing together. Reminds me of Will Thomas and Jai Lewis. If Ojiako is Will Thomas and Oduro is Jai Lewis....who is the rest of the cast....
Manny, Moe and Jack?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hoping this is a game that is used the way its supposed to be used. A glorified practice.

Get the guys comfortable at home, let them relax and hopefully enjoy a 10-15 point win (at minimum).

Hopefully that is what it can be used as, because Hofstra and Toledo are much tougher. I would much rather them build some momentum especially at home. I don't think the team is as bad as they played in the islands, but hopefully it doesn't carry forward.