Game 6: GMU (2-3) at Paradise Jam - Buffalo (1-4) on Monday, November 21, at 1 PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is a PIG team and I’m putting English on the warm seat for year 3.
Right now yes, but I would be very hard pressed to believe that Mason ends up in the PIG.

Not a chance English is even on the warm seat for year 3. He has through year 4 to figure it out (at this point) unless they give him a 1 year courtesy extension. Don't think they will though especially with a new boss coming.

Long way to go, and recruiting well is nice. Wins are better.

KAOriginal

All-American
Right now yes, but I would be very hard pressed to believe that Mason ends up in the PIG.

Not a chance English is even on the warm seat for year 3. He has through year 4 to figure it out (at this point) unless they give him a 1 year courtesy extension. Don't think they will though especially with a new boss coming.

Wild card.....we re getting a new AD.

If this year stinks and performance continues to look bad....well we all know what new ADs like to do for their resumes.

"Fix things".

But that's all dependent on Mason being lazy and upping the interim, who I understand believes success in athletics has nothing to do with win loss records.

At some point (like on the plane ride home) KE needs to consider his options. We all know (because of the train wreck we've become), that he's not leaving anytime soon. All the worries we had about a bigger program picking him off seem to have been unfounded. Second, Mason isn't about to stroke a big check to replace him.

So in my book that leaves him two moves:

1) Keep doing what he is doing and hope that the team starts to "get it", If the play of our returning players is any indication of the team's ability to get it, the success of this path is unlikely.

2) Throw away his current play book, and any preconceived line-up notions and do something completely different. That could mean a full court press most of the game, it could mean creating two balanced squads and running a Green and Gold team out there (which they'd probably need if they pressed), it could be naming new captains, replacing a couple coaches, running the Princeton, playing more wiffleball, etc. etc. Just try something different.

My two cents - Coach L always seemed to press more when we played better teams. While it didn't always work, it seemed to get our kids into the game from the start. And at this point, every team we play is a better team.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wild card.....we re getting a new AD.

If this year stinks and performance continues to look bad....well we all know what new ADs like to do for their resumes.

"Fix things".

But that's all dependent on Mason being lazy and upping the interim, who I understand believes success in athletics has nothing to do with win loss records.
I know you like to make things up but Mason isn't upping the interim. And the interim doesn't believe success in athletics has nothing to do with win/loss records.

It will be an external candidate and nobody believes that is how you measure success except the "Nice kids on the court" club sponsored by Dave Paulsen. :)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Warm seat year 3 (they better show better effort and look like they at least have a plan next season), hot seat year 4 (if things don’t drastically approve he should not get a 5th season).

Oh, this team is at best 12th place. Any team with a single guard that can drive the lane is going to destroy us. Any team that plays any kind of defense will give us fits. Any team that challenges us physically is going to win that battle. I might put us at 13th or 14th in the conference right now.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Warm seat year 3 (they better show better effort and look like they at least have a plan next season), hot seat year 4 (if things don’t drastically approve he should not get a 5th season).

Oh, this team is at best 12th place. Any team with a single guard that can drive the lane is going to destroy us. Any team that plays any kind of defense will give us fits. Any team that challenges us physically is going to win that battle. I might put us at 13th or 14th in the conference right now.
No disagreement on any of this, although I do have to say its November of year 2, so its slightly premature.

But none of this is an overreaction by any stretch based on the body of work to date.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is a PIG team and I’m putting English on the warm seat for year 3.
YES! As I said elsewhere, when Dr. Washington introduced KE he "put the A10 on notice." He cannot be happy. Buyout or not, Kim's rear end has got to already be sitting firmly in a sling. imho.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
I am as deeply disappointed in the team's performance this year as anyone. But I must say all of the talk here about the coach's status seems way overboard to me. I expect I'll get a lot of blowback on this, but I really think we should all take a deep breath and give English a chance to fix things. He has been the head coach for 1 year and 6 games. Let's see where we are later this year. I hate the way we've started the year, but I have confidence in English.

KAOriginal

All-American
I know you like to make things up but Mason isn't upping the interim. And the interim doesn't believe success in athletics has nothing to do with win/loss records.

It will be an external candidate and nobody believes that is how you measure success except the "Nice kids on the court" club sponsored by Dave Paulsen. :)
No...that was OPINION and CONJECTURE. (Other than a pass along of the interim opinion...)

Geez this is like old Twitter on here.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
EXCITING NEWS FOR GMU FANS! Given our recent woes (0-6) at Pre-Thanksgiving tourneys the past two years "my sources" have informed me that Mason will be hosting a tourney next year. BRYC All-Stars, Mother Teresa's School for the Blind, Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow, Lake Braddock, and Robinson, will gather together for the first annual, "WTF" tourney. Many great times to look forward to! ;)

nchocola

Walk-On
KE is still learning to be a head coach. Great recruiter, not a good in-game coach yet. You can only hope that he continues to learn from these experiences.

The defense is soft and lacks energy minus Devin. They don’t hedge half the time on picks giving the ball handler all types of space to get into the lane or take a shot. They don’t collapse and play good help defense when someone gets into the lane. They look clueless every-time they switch into a zone. They switch on almost everything and the other team gets the mismatch they want. They either get hardly contested 3 because of the switch or they get into the lane easily with speed.

15+ turnovers a game isn’t going to cut it either. The worst part is most of them are in the half court offense, not even transition.

Rant over

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No...that was OPINION and CONJECTURE. (Other than a pass along of the interim opinion...)

Geez this is like old Twitter on here.
No worries man - if thats all it is, then we are good. :)

KE is still learning to be a head coach. Great recruiter, not a good in-game coach yet. You can only hope that he continues to learn from these experiences.

The defense is soft and lacks energy minus Devin. They don’t hedge half the time on picks giving the ball handler all types of space to get into the lane or take a shot. They don’t collapse and play good help defense when someone gets into the lane. They look clueless every-time they switch into a zone. They switch on almost everything and the other team gets the mismatch they want. They either get hardly contested 3 because of the switch or they get into the lane easily with speed.

15+ turnovers a game isn’t going to cut it either. The worst part is most of them are in the half court offense, not even transition.

Rant over
Welcome newcomer. I hope you decide to stick around. We need more folks like you who actually break down basketball.

I am as deeply disappointed in the team's performance this year as anyone. But I must say all of the talk here about the coach's status seems way overboard to me. I expect I'll get a lot of blowback on this, but I really think we should all take a deep breath and give English a chance to fix things. He has been the head coach for 1 year and 6 games. Let's see where we are later this year. I hate the way we've started the year, but I have confidence in English.
No disagreement as it is early. Like I already said though, the early returns are not good.

12-4 at home
0-7 neutral (0-6 in Sioux falls and in the Paradise Jam and Brooklyn)
4-8 road

I really hope he turns it around because he is recruiting too well and knows basketball way too well to not figure it out. However, not winning a game this weekend was a big step backwards and really bad.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Rant over
My new starting 5 is:
1 - Dinkins
5 - Ojaiko

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Rant over

I think you are right that he’s still learning how to be a head coach, whether he gets there or not (and especially while at Mason) is a big question.

I’m not sure how much patience this fan base has to give someone 5-7 years to learn on the job when we went from potential top 25 team in 2012 to losing our hall of fame coach and sinking into whatever hell this tournament is 10 years later.

I said it in another thread, but his first job is in learning how to be a head coach of a college program rather than treating his players like professionals. It was pretty obvious today that there is absolutely no cohesion in our defense and we’ve got 5 guys just desperately trying to do whatever they can to read the game properly the way English wants them to. That’s not working (in fact I think it’s why Gaines hurt himself—he had just tried to jump a pass and had to recover on defense, then ran and missed a corner three on the other end and came up hobbling).

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I said it in another thread, but his first job is in learning how to be a head coach of a college program rather than treating his players like professionals. It was pretty obvious today that there is absolutely no cohesion in our defense and we’ve got 5 guys just desperately trying to do whatever they can to read the game properly the way English wants them to. That’s not working (in fact I think it’s why Gaines hurt himself—he had just tried to jump a pass and had to recover on defense, then ran and missed a corner three on the other end and came up hobbling).
Preach! No sense in running an NBA offense/defense/program when you don't have NBA players.