Game 6, AT Princeton, Nov 26th, 8 PM, NO TV

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hey Q, tells us something we don't know. Like how to solve the major problems this coach has brought upon us.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
As a Hilton HHonors member, there are no blackout dates when redeeming points for rooms.....

As a loyal Hilton Honors member, I can vouch for this. I'll be redeeming some of my Hilton points tomorrow night and Friday night even though it's the busiest travel time of the year.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry to return to discussing basketball, but I just looked at the box score from last night's game again.

Princeton shot 19 of 24 on 2-point FG attempts, but only 6 of 17 on 3s.

Absolutely unacceptable to stay in a man-to-man when your players have clearly demonstrated that they can't even guard their own shadows.

If we can't check Princeton's guards, that certainly doesn't bode well for A-10 play. Copes is gonna have to erase a crap-load of defensive mistakes by his teammates.

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On
Last night was a winnable game and the first half was embarrassing -
But I think it's to early to throw the team under the bus - I want to
see how they do over the next 3 games with Copes back in - I hope Moore's injury is minor and he gets back as well.

Much of my optimism to start the season was the players progress at end of the last year with BA and JA - with JA out and no Copes - (and no BA for 2 games) 4-2 looks good all things considered.

Not defending coach or the players - to be down 17 and come back and tie at least shows they can play basketball and did not quit - to bad they "did not start" and play for the first 20 minutes.

I think a healthy Copes and BA getting back in the groove will help and I keep my fingers crossed they will start playing for a full 40 minutes.

No clue about JA's return but happy to see Copes back.

Team needs to come out on fire against RI Sat (finally a televised game) and kick some butt as well as beat SF and hang tough in the B&BT classic

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I can tell you what happens with Copes back. It goes something like this. He starts (or comes into the game off the bench) and within 5 minutes 2 of our guards get blown by, he wildly tries to erase the mistake, gets called for 2 fouls and is sitting on the bench until the second half begins.

Same thing happens in the second half except he comes back in with 8 minutes left and is disqualified by the 5 minute mark. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Princeton shot 19 of 24 on 2-point FG attempts, but only 6 of 17 on 3s.

Absolutely unacceptable to stay in a man-to-man when your players have clearly demonstrated that they can't even guard their own shadows.
36 of their points came in the paint. add to that any foul shots that occurred due to fouling them on layups.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
36 of their points came in the paint. add to that any foul shots that occurred due to fouling them on layups.

I still remember a game at Northeastern during Hewitt's first year. Mason scored a ton of points, but Northeastern got layup after layup during the game and won. Hewitt seemingly never switched up his D. If he did, he never figured out a way to prevent 2 feet shots.

We're seeing the same stuff in year 3. He's not just not adjusting during games, but over years. Seriously, he needs to put another guy in charge of defense. If he can't figure out by now how we're getting burned defensively and fix it in-game, then he never will. I wonder if his assistants ever speak up, or are they as wedded to always playing man to man?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If he can't figure out by now how we're getting burned defensively and fix it in-game, then he never will. I wonder if his assistants ever speak up, or are they as wedded to always playing man to man?

I have a feeling his assistants aren't allowed to mess with the game plan/in game strategy. It appears to be Hewitt's way or the highway. No way all the other coaches on the staff don't realize these glaring, yet fixable issues, during games.

KAOriginal

All-American
It was hinted in the Atlanta media post firing...that Hewitt, is not only aloof...but a bit paranoid.

If that is the case....no way assistants have any say, esp in game.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps as a condition of keeping Hewitt beyond this season, TOC could insist that he hire a strong X's and O's guy as a bench coach?

There has to be somebody out there who he'd trust and respect enough to listen to suggestions/adjustments -- even if it's as simple as, "Hey Paul, we can't guard Princeton's back cuts and they're killing us with layups. How about we try a 2-3 and see how we do with it?"

No way our entire coaching staff is oblivious to the defensive shortcomings we have in our man-to-man, especially with no deterrent presence in the paint these first six games.

Doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result, is the very definition of insanity.

But if anyone is speaking up, Hewitt obviously is too stubborn to listen.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I would really like to think that if simple fans going/watching the games can immediately identify the issues.....that a coaching staff that has played/coached or been around the game for decades can too.

Thats interesting into if the assistants have the free reign to suggest stuff to Hewitt or not. Id have to assume no, or that they can but final say or change is upto Hewitt.

JBiggs

Starter
Positives from the statsheet:

Wright: 27 MF-ing points on 10-16 shooting, 8 boards, and 4 steals (to cover for his 4 TOs)
Allen still playing an all-around game with incredible efficiency, despite the injury to his knee. 11 points on 5-10 shooting, 2 rebounds, and 6 assists (to 3 TOs).
Marko: zero turnovers!

Negatives:

The coaching, the huge hole at halftime due to the poor start, and the rest of the roster for the most part.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps as a condition of keeping Hewitt beyond this season, TOC could insist that he hire a strong X's and O's guy as a bench coach?

Jim, I really like this idea, and I think it's more realistic than thinking we are going to eat the last two years of his contract to hire a new head coach.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Jim, I really like this idea, and I think it's more realistic than thinking we are going to eat the last two years of his contract to hire a new head coach.

So when a hole in the coaching staff opened up and most everyone here was pleading for X's and O's guy, we ended up with Skeeters......

Hewitt had the perfect opportunity to add a guy like that, but he didnt. You really see him, or even more TOC forcing him to add one after the season? I dont.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

It's an idea that has merit, but the problem is going to be finding a quality coach willing to come work for someone on a relatively short leash.

With only two years left after this one, that's not much job security -- and if he gets an extension with zero NCAA appearances, I'm gonna kick something.

EDIT: Hewitt also has to agree to the change. He's probably just as likely to dare TOC to fire him and eat the cash left on his deal.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So when a hole in the coaching staff opened up and most everyone here was pleading for X's and O's guy, we ended up with Skeeters......

Hewitt had the perfect opportunity to add a guy like that, but he didnt. You really see him, or even more TOC forcing him to add one after the season? I dont.

Skeeters was obviously hired for his recruiting ties to AAU, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in us landing Mayimba. As for whether TOC would ever force Hewitt to make a coaching change, I said I liked the idea. Although I think it's more likely than us firing Hewitt, I agree it's not likely.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
As a loyal Hilton Honors member, I can vouch for this. I'll be redeeming some of my Hilton points tomorrow night and Friday night even though it's the busiest travel time of the year.

Likewise have redeemed points in Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Long time gold member.