Game 6, AT Princeton, Nov 26th, 8 PM, NO TV

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Why is that anytime someone brings up some fault with the players it immediately gets turned around to Hewitt. I never said Hewitt was good, but you cant blame Hewitt for Sherrod traveling and the charging all in the games first 2 minutes. Our coach is suspect for sure but so are our players.

Well if our players are suspect - Sherrod, BA, and the other starters were mostly Coach L recruits - is it his fault too?

Bricker

Starter
Johnny is nothing but a liability on the court. I say we play 4 on 5 in the second half. Couldn't be worse than what we're seeing now...

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom, I have seen Marko, BA, Sherrod, and JA play really well at times. It is consistency that is the issue here and I am convinced its coaching. I mean unless OCM was a real horrid recruiter.

PiKapp, I think our offensive players are vastly overrated, but the biggest problem with this team is defense. Sure, it hurts not having our frontcourt players, but Hewitt insists on pressing and playing man when it defies all logic. Five high school players could play zone against Princeton and give up less points than we did in the first half.

What baffles me the most is that not one of his assistants has grabbed him by the coat and told him to go zone. He's stubborn to a fault, and it's making these games complete blow outs.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's not Hewitt's fault that Johnny is soft, or that he's forced to play him anyway because Copes is suspended.

It is his fault for not switching up our defense and letting the layup factory happen again for another 20 straight minutes. Princeton shot 60% in the first half, 60%! They shot 3-10 from 3. Why are we overplaying the 3 and giving up the back cut every single time?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
PiKapp, I think our offensive players are vastly overrated, but the biggest problem with this team is defense. Sure, it hurts not having our frontcourt players, but Hewitt insists on pressing and playing man when it defies all logic. Five high school players could play zone against Princeton and give up less points than we did in the first half.

What baffles me the most is that not one of his assistants has grabbed him by the coat and told him to go zone. He's stubborn to a fault, and it's making these games complete blow outs.

I would agree. Not sure why we don't go to a zone. Was this a pattern at Ga Tech? Is it against his philosophy. If we played a zone in the last 10 minutes of the half we would only have a six point game.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I can guarantee you if you if you simplified this offense and stopped forcing them to make 5 different reads and just called plays, they'd look a hell of a lot better.

No reason why Sherrod, Gray, Hollway, Allen, and Edwards can't stay in front of their assignment in a man-on-man situation other than "want to."

KAOriginal

All-American
I would agree. Not sure why we don't go to a zone. Was this a pattern at Ga Tech? Is it against his philosophy. If we played a zone in the last 10 minutes of the half we would only have a six point game.

Yes inconsistent, haphazard basketball was a pattern at GT. But at least he had NBA talent to make you think something good would happen.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Tom? Is that you? Welcome to the dark side.

Dawgs99

Starter
I will say that the team looks like they want to be any where else but on that court.....could there be some legs to the idea that the Arledge situation has created a divide on the team?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Yes, it's against his philosophy to change his scheme. A GT fan came over to our boards before Hewitt even got on campus and said this was one of their biggest gripes -- he refused to make adjustments in game no matter what the outcome.

Look how long it took him to move Allen off the point. Look how long it is taking him to pull Edwards from the starting lineup.

jjbman

Recruit
That 3-10 on 3 is mostly a function of Princeton not being able to make open shots. They missed at least 3 totally uncontested 3s in that half, so it isn't like we're overplaying on 3 and giving up layups. We just aren't guarding anyone.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's obvious they need to go to a zone - many posters realize it, yet our $700,000 a year coach doesn't.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
It is the Coaches job to teach and develop players and to adopt his strategy to the personnel he has, over my last 10 years of sports fandom I have had the pleasure of witnessing some horribly terrible coaches, and some very good ones. You begin to see indicators of bad coaches, things that consistently occur, that no one has any explanation in and that unite otherwise argumentative fan bases in their pissed-offed-ness. This is what we are now seeing happen.

smccart5

Starter
I think I too am falling off the Hewitt train. Can't hate players as much cuz they're not making millions. However, they are very responsible. I hope to god that the locker room is not divided cuz of arledge..otherwise we are toast and it won't be better till we have a new staff